It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 21st Century Steam | NKP 765 Tickets Now Available
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:44 am 

The Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society is proud to announce its 2013 Spring Excursion and Annual Event Schedule with steam locomotive no. 765: http://fortwaynerailroad.org/2013-events

Quote:
The Nickel Plate Limited | May 12
http://fortwaynerailroad.org/nickel-plate-limited
Rocky River, Ohio to Bellevue, Ohio

The ideal day-trip for families, couples, history and train lovers. This excursion will feature the rare sights and sounds of a timeless American industry for a 110-mile round-trip along Lake Erie. Join us as we retrace the route of the original Nickel Plate Road, a fast-freight and passenger railroad that today is part of the Norfolk Southern system. Behind no. 765 will ride a fleet of restored coach, deluxe coach, dome car, and first class passenger cars with special lounge and observation offerings available. FWRHS members are eligible for a 10% discount and will receive instructions via mail.

Quote:
Horseshoe Curve Special | May 25, 26 and 27 - tickets on sale February 26th!
http://fortwaynerailroad.org/horseshoe-curve-special
Lewistown, Pennsylvania to Horseshoe Curve, Pennsylvania

For the first time in over 30 years, ride a steam-powered passenger train through the Allegheny mountain range, enjoying the sights, sounds, and experiences of timeless American industry.

Three 160-mile round-trips excursions of the Horseshoe Curve Special will traverse one of the busiest routes in the country over the former Pennsylvania Railroad’s “Middle Division,” and through Altoona, the railroad capital of the Standard Railroad of the World. Click here to learn more.

Behind no. 765 will ride a fleet of restored coach, deluxe coach, dome car, and first class passenger cars with special lounge and observation offerings available, including the first class Pullman car, Dover Harbor. FWRHS members are eligible for a 10% discount and will receive instructions via mail.

Passengers and fans can get an exclusive 10% discount on all Amtrak travel to Lewiston, Altoona, and Harrisburg between May 22nd-May 30th, allowing travel by train to the Horseshoe Curve Special in the days before and after the trips. This discount applies to Amtrak travel only.

For information, please call (260) 267-5765 or write ticketagent @ fwrhs.org. At the time, we are accepting online orders only.

An expanded operating schedule and additional information regarding no. 765 will be released later in 2013.

http://www.fwrhs.org

Post subject: Re: 21st Century Steam | NKP 765 Tickets Now Available
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:33 am 

Money and time off are tight, but I'm going to try very hard to make it to this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:10 am 

Oh for the days of open window coaches and being allowed to stand in the open dutch doors! Best get tickets in the first few cars or you won't hear a thing. :(

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:18 am 

Sorry, that was not meant to be negative against NS or FWRHS! It's just the way things are in our ultra paranoid about being sued society today. I'll be there to ride, time and money permitting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:41 pm 

::rises above tide of 611 news::

The Rocky River trips are now sold out.

Tickets for the Horseshoe Curve Special go on sale at 12:01AM on February 26th.

::takes deep breath, goes back under::

KL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:59 am 

After attempting to get through the main and being unable to get through, I used the link in this thread. From there, it was pretty slick. Nice to be able print tickets from a pdf file.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:54 am 

Just bought a couple tickets for the Saturday Horseshoe Curve trip. The tickets went on sale prematurely for a time, and I was rather disappointed I wasn't able to get my seating of choice. After seeing 765 twice looking forward to my first ride behind her!

Joshua

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:20 am 

The Eventbrite system was a good choice. Got my tix, looking forward to a great weekend.

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:34 am 

Thanks Rob, and glad it was painless Superheater. We are working on our own in-house ticketing system, but EventBrite continues to improve the process. As for the premature tickets, we began filing reservations (generally those who called or emailed in the last four weeks) and I had a few checks and money orders that folks had sent in (also prematurely...) that we started to file before we had to take the system off line because EB was making everything available.

Not fool proof, but a work in progress.

KL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:25 pm 

Thanks for the post Kelly, I understand. Maybe like your other trips the response will be such that premium seating may be added. Thank you for the trip!

Joshua

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:31 pm 

I'm trying to imagine the logistics of loading the passenger excursion at Rocky River. It is a pretty conjested area. Also any thoughts where the consist will overnight before the Rocky River to Bellevue run?

As an aside, the last time steam was active on this route was, I believe, 1992 or 1993. I was sitting in an apartment in Lakewood, OH one summer day with some friends. We had the window open when what do I hear? 611's whistle! We scrambled down the stairs, jumped in the car and gave chase westbound. Good times...

Martin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:34 am 

There's a set of apartments right by the tracks in Sheffield Lake now too. I lived there for a few years but alas the line isn't nearly as busy as it used to be. That being said, I'm extremely excited to have tickets for the trip. I've kayaked under the Lorain bridge many times and now I get to ride over it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:28 am 

We've added a Wait List ticket option to accommodate interest for both trips. We're looking to add coach, deluxe, and dome car options.

KL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:51 pm 

Too bad you can't add a couple of hacks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:46 pm 

superheater wrote:
Too bad you can't add a couple of hacks.

There's enough of us in the tool car ;-)

KL