It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Ultimate High Tech Steam, what would you build?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:25 pm 

Never thought about putting the brake gear as the balance, makes sence. Yes the drive gear is as you say.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:20 pm 

Dave wrote:
OK, so we build a Shay with triple expansion engines on both sides of the boiler, set as much in opposition to each other as possible strokewise for minimal impulsiveness (60 rather than 120) and run a keel condenser in the wet ditch alongside the ROW.

A question I was thiniing about regarding waste heat in locomotive style boilers...... is the remaining heat in the products of combusion that come out of the tubes into the front end used for any purpose in the operation of the front end or is it just shoved out the stack having done nothing of use after leaving the tubes?

dave

OK, I know this was mostly in jest, but two problems come to mind.

1) With two sets of engines, your boiler is going to be rather narrow, as it can no longer be offset.

2) Even worse, you now have TWO sets of drive trains and gears to deal with.

Being rather familiar with the "big three" of geared locos (Shay, Heisler, Climax), I'd say the Heisler variation would definitely be the best approach.

As for getting too far off tangent, the discussion was purely a whimsey from the start, so anything is fair game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:05 pm 

As I have now remembered some details. Fire box width was 970mm and grate areas over ten feet so no worries there. All the cylinders and drive where outside the 4'8 so no restrictions there. As cog engines the have two drives anyway. This also involved having large heavy gears below rail level. There is no room under and central for a drive because of the cogs. Simply put it was the only option although it was somewhat more complex but then again it would be better than the crudeness of the originals.

This loco will never get built I know and so you can discribed it in this catogory. I have dreamed of building it back then. My main thoughts at two o'clock in the morning are of the 2-8-2 even if I did it to 7.25 or 15 inch gauge.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:34 pm 

Just by coincidence, this thread turned to Shays and other geared engines while my youngest son and I were in WV, riding behind WM 6 and the Climax at Durbin. We were comparing 6's engine to an up and down marine steam plant. One question he asked is "Why weren't Shays ever built as compounds"? To my knowledge none ever were.

So, how about a takeoff on the Skinner Uniflow design? Have three somewhat smaller cylinders on each side (two HP, one LP; or one HP, one IP and LP) driving two sets of shafts, thus keeping the boiler on the centerline.

Would it be possible to get by with one set of valve gear on each side, ahead of the HP cylinders and timing (via the crankshaft) the higher pressure cylinders to exhaust 'downstream' at the proper time? Of course, have all the gearing enclosed and running in oil; wasn't that a Heisler feature?

This is all purely academic, of course. The arguments about water, fueling and servicing facilities would still apply, as would training a whole new cadre of operating and maintenance personnel, but it is fun to think about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6