It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rumor: Baldwin Sharks RF-16 "Available"?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:58 pm 

Bobharbison wrote:
OK, so I'm curious...

These engines and whatever else this gentleman owns are, at least for now, in secure covered storage, and in no imminent danger. Yet everyone is all worried about what should be done and how to do it and what they think is best for this privately owned collection.

Meanwhile, the Mohawk and Hudson equipment discussed in another thread is apparently in immediate danger, and very few people are paying any attention at all. No proposals for fund raising or offers to walk up to that place with a briefcase full of money and a plan.

What is it with this group? Is tilting at windmills more fun?

Someone is trying to save M&H equipment as I said in the M&H thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:23 pm 

Bobharbison wrote:
OK, so I'm curious...

These engines and whatever else this gentleman owns are, at least for now, in secure covered storage, and in no imminent danger. Yet everyone is all worried about what should be done and how to do it and what they think is best for this privately owned collection.

Meanwhile, the Mohawk and Hudson equipment discussed in another thread is apparently in immediate danger, and very few people are paying any attention at all. No proposals for fund raising or offers to walk up to that place with a briefcase full of money and a plan.

It doesn't make a single bit of difference which parties we pick on; it's all going to have the same result... Nil, Nada, Zilch. If the man with the money would have liked antique electrics rather than Baldwins, they'd be hidden away in a windowless steel building, and the Baldwins would be razor blades.

It's a shame these guys always come along a bit too late. The passenger cars mentioned earlier is mostly Soo Line heavyweight equipment, by my records ten M&E, coach, lounge, diner and sleepers spanning the steel car production of three builders from 1911 to 1928. Unfortunately, none of it came directly from service. Most of them were allowed to weather unprotected outdoors at a place called "Historyland" in Hayward, WI for a number of years.

http://www.haywardwi.com/news/article_0 ... 9cdf9.html

When that place went bust, I'm sure the cars were available to anyone who wanted to purchase, kind of like Pemberton. I, for one, am glad someone did.

The classic 1913 Barney & Smith built steel sleeper came from the operation out in Nevada City, MT, I forget the name off hand. I've seen pictures of that car before it moved, canvas roof stripped bare by the wind, leaking like a sieve. At least this car is now inside. The only other in existence is moldering away in French Lick, IN.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:00 pm 

So we are at four (4) pages, as of the time of this post, discussing privately-owned equipment that is not up for disposition, or at the very least privately owned, indoors, in secure storage?

Maybe we should start a petition on MoveOn.org or some other site demanding the owner dispose of the equipment?

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:06 pm 

Right on Brother Wilkins, right on !!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:44 pm 

Or just Move On, until there is news of some sort.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:23 pm 

So we are at four (4) pages, as of the time of this post, discussing privately-owned equipment that is not up for disposition, or at the very least privately owned, indoors, in secure storage?

And I all I wanted was a yes or no answer. In the absence of evidence, I will assume that they are not for sale, even in a passive "id entertain offers" way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:24 pm 

superheater wrote:
And I all I wanted was a yes or no answer. In the absence of evidence, I will assume that they are not for sale, even in a passive "id entertain offers" way.

Super,

Absence of evidence doesn't stop conspiracy theorists.

David W.
Grassy Knoll, MO

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:55 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
superheater wrote:

You're trying to grab at a tar baby. You seek a definitive answer to an in-definitive situation.

What I was told YEARS AGO was that there was a planned future for them. So, in THAT aspect, no, they're not for sale, no use in asking.

But things change. And it might most likely depends who's asking, and when. Are ya feelin' lucky, punk?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:44 am 

As I said earlier, straight from the horse's mouth just this past week:

Per Tom Klimek: "They are not available for lease."

Why do we continue to speculate?

C.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:06 pm 

twofoot wrote:
As I said earlier, straight from the horse's mouth just this past week:

Per Tom Klimek: "They are not available for lease."

Why do we continue to speculate?

C.

Devil's advocate here... Is it possible that "Not available for lease" means they would still potentially be available for purchase?

If not, then why add the "for lease" qualification?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:13 pm 

Mike Swanson wrote:
Agreed. Secure, covered storage as part of someone's private collection is far better than unsecure and uncovered storage, either privately owned or as part of a museum or other preservation organization's collection, IMHO.

Partially. A big part of the win is that he OWNS THE PROPERTY. Unlike the others discussed in this thread, to say nothing of the Glenmont stuff.

Same is true for museums.
Without property ownership: Pemberton.
With property ownership: Ohio Railway Museum.

Ron Muldowney wrote:
He had set up a trust for the collection, but failed to sign all the paperwork in his will and the trust was overturned by the family looking for money.

Lesson: get the paperwork COMPLETE. And do it now. Everything you own should have an airtight paper trail that decides its fate, and hire a litigator to look for holes in it.

Bobharbison wrote:
OK, so I'm curious...

Because drama is more exciting than putting on overalls and doing real preservation. With that, please excuse me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:03 pm 

I can't fathom for the life of me why this isn't in the Railfanning section yet. They are not for sale, lease, viewing (short of people who actually worked the darn things for the D&H) etc. And the theft of builder's plates by some %*&! foamer soured the owner for anything relating to "railfans." I will treat any suggestion as to sale/lease/donation as April 1st '50lb grain of salt' until proven otherwise...

About the only thing I can see happening is perhaps being bought by the National Muesum or the Smithsonian.