It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Climax Locomotives web site
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:04 am 

Does anyone know the story behind the Climax Locomotives web site.

http://climaxlocomotives.com/

There have not been any updates since November 2007.

My interest is the two Climax locomotives built for St. John & Ophir, the only examples that I know of Climax locomotives here in Utah.

http://www.utahrails.net/utahrails/st-john-ophir.php

Don Strack
http://www.utahrails.net/

Post subject: Re: Climax Locomotives web site
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:00 am 

Don, can't help you with the site, but FWIW one of the builders plates off of 1159 was saved and is still around.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:20 pm 

Check out this site:
http://www.gearedsteam.com/climax/climax.htm

It may have some pertinent information.

John - P.Y.Zedd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:03 pm 

I acquired the site from the creator, Ed Vasser.

There have been no updates, as no additional information has been submitted. Yes, I own the Climax book, and I'm sure it probably has some updates etc, but I haven't had time to go through and try to compile any updates.

If you have any, please let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:55 pm 

I hope this response isn’t to far off topic and too rambling. But the subject of the St. John & Ophir brings back a number of memories.

My grandfather, my mother’s dad, worked for W.A. Clark, the U.S. Senator from Montana, who had far flung copper mining operations, headquartered in Butte. Clark also built several railroads, mostly to serve his mining operations. But he also built the Los Angeles & Salt Lake RR, now the UP line between those two cities. My grandfather was Clark’s auditor, and traveled to the various operations in Clark’s private rail car to audit the financial records. My mother mentioned a number of the places her dad went to, including Clarkdale and Jerome, in AZ, Rhyolite, NV, and Ophir, UT.

In 1966 and 67, I was in the Army, stationed at Dugway Proving Ground, UT, which is about 25 miles west of the site of St. John. My wife and I went poking around old ghost towns in the area on weekends. One of the towns we went to was Ophir. As I recall, there were still a few people living there, and they didn’t appear too friendly, so we didn’t do much poking around there. When I mentioned this to my mother, she said that she definitely remembered that Ophir was one of the places her dad went to from time to time. Clark’s mining company collapsed after the stock market crash of 1929.

When I was at Dugway, one of my buddies ordered something by mail, a stereo, I think. One day he got a card in the mail that said his package could be picked up at St. John Station, and gave the hours that the agent was there. He didn’t have a car, so I drove him there. The station was literally all there was at St. John Station: an old depot in the middle on nowhere alongside the tracks. Last time I was by there, about 30 years ago, there was nothing left.

In regard to Climax locomotives, my son-in-law has a photo of his two grandfathers leaning out the cab window of a Climax. The engineer’s daughter married the fireman’s son, or vice versa, and that marriage produced my son-in-law’s father. The Climax was on a mining railroad in Concrete, WA. Guess what they were mining.