Attachments:
sp3.1.jpeg
sp3.1.jpeg [ 238.93 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]
sp20.jpeg
sp20.jpeg [ 254.03 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]

Post subject: Re: Interesting "Freecycle" Find; SP History
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:43 am 

weekendrailroader wrote:
2 AM, Couldn't sleep, so I figured out the scanner and scanned the photos. Here they come...

Great set of photos, Drew! Thanks for uploading! I wonder if anybody on here can identify any of the locations and/or rough dates. The photos of the Cab Forward wreck look like they were taken somewhere on the Natron Cutoff (line between Eugene and Klamath Falls). I'm not familiar with the maximum range of the Cab Forwards: what's the operational history of the Cab Forwards on the Natron Cutoff; did they even operate that far north? If they didn't, then I guess that's somewhere else on the SP system.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:58 am 

The non-cab forward wreck scenes were at Junction City, and the flood photo was taken in Portland.

Anyone know of a rail museum that would be interested in preserving these photos?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:14 am 

weekendrailroader wrote:
The non-cab forward wreck scenes were at Junction City, and the flood photo was taken in Portland.

Anyone know of a rail museum that would be interested in preserving these photos?

Thanks for the info, Drew! Yeah, Portland used to have really bad problems with flooding, especially before the dams went in on both the Columbia and the Willamette. Bonneville was completed in 1937, but that didn't stop a bad flood right after WWII (1946 or 47 sounds right) from doing massive damage in North Portland. The dike was topped and the entire community that had sprung up during the war years for housing workers at the nearby shipbuilding works was wiped out in a very short amount of time. The area around Union Station used to flood on a regular basis (that's not the first such photo I've seen of flooding in PDX--I've seen a photo of trains lined up in the old Portland Terminal yard in 1-2 feet of water!*) The last bad flood was 1996--that year, despite all the "flood control," the Columbia came very close to topping the dikes out at Portland International Airport--that would not have been pretty.

*Might've been higher, I haven't seen the photo in a while.

Looking forward to finding out more about the Cab Forward wreck.