It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So What Happens to the Lone Ranger Prop Trains??
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:55 pm 

Okay considering that Lone Ranger bombed so bad it left a crater that there isn't going to be a call for a sequel. Which begs a question - What happens to all the those nice life size props of steamers and passenger cars that were built for the movie.

Seems to me they would make a good display piece for a museum that wanted an example of steam (or at least what it looked like) without having to deal with the hassle of moving something that weighs 60+ tons. Does anyone know what the production company plans on doing with these props. Even if they arent 100% accurate it seems a shame that they couldn't be repurposed for educational purposes or something after all that money was spent building them.

Heck those passenger cars props would be good for some little scenic shortline somewhere if they could be certified to carry passengers.

Post subject: Re: So What Happens to the Lone Ranger Prop Trains??
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:01 pm 

Sounds like good fodder for a power plant. This stuff has no story other than is was a movie prop in a bad flick. It represents nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:12 pm 

Don't be so cynical Richard. They're credible replicas and can always be used in another, equally bad movie sometime down the road. Or to replace that awful "Hell on Wheels" train.

They are now stored on the Filmore & Western RR in California. Which, with it's "movie railroads" theme, seems to be a nice location. Of course the F&W is having problems with the agency that owns the right of way and may cease operations at the end of 2013.

We may be asking this same question a year from now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:14 pm 

The prop trains look pretty good, but I wonder what they're constructed of. Having had a little experience in the industry, I've found that many props, while they look quite substantial, are made of such flimsy materials they collapse under their own weight after a short time. Particle board especially deteriorates quite quickly in outdoor storage.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:29 pm 

boilerwash wrote:
Okay considering that Lone Ranger bombed so bad it left a crater that there isn't going to be a call for a sequel.

I wouldn't be so fast there. It was #2 its opening weekend, and hasn't completely fallen off the box office charts given a very competitive summer.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=loneranger.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:23 pm 

Some movies got bad reviews still did well at the box office. Given enough time the Lone Ranger will recoup and profit for sure.

It seems like its more the Tonto movie than the Lone Ranger.
But the movie gives us more the history of the 2's creation, Tonto was more the off to the side sidekick in the old series while the focus was on The Lone Ranger.
Recall the first "Star Trek" Movie was interesting, it wasnt the best movie. But it got Trek into the theatre. Sequels could be much better, but the movie is more a "character introduction" like any movie/play has. The first part of the movie/play always seems awkward while you learn who/what the characters are, then the 2nd part it kicks in, thats probably what the sequals would do. But its old west style filmmaking with top action mixed in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:44 pm 

There's a huge interest and demand for movie props. I'm sure they could be sold for a lot of money for what they are with little regard for being used for anything other than being put on display somewhere.
davew833 wrote:
The prop trains look pretty good, but I wonder what they're constructed of. Having had a little experience in the industry, I've found that many props, while they look quite substantial, are made of such flimsy materials they collapse under their own weight after a short time. Particle board especially deteriorates quite quickly in outdoor storage.

I have some movie prop and costume stuff in my collection and the above post is most correct. Most mockups are made only for people to sit in a specific area. For example, I've seen all the space ships from the recent "Battlestar Galactica" series and most were made from molded foam over a wire skeleton. If you just leaned on certain places, you could probably break massive parts in two. But on screen they loked like real life aircraft.
Here’s a mockup B-24 mockup I spotted at Sable Ranch in Santa Clarita, CA, made for the movie “Beautiful Dreamer” which I have yet to see:
I took a really good look at this one, one said was painted to match a flying aircraft at the time. The other side was some odd camouflage scheme I’ve never seen before. It was made with plywood and had wood formers. The cockpit was totally open and had no interior. Clearly it was to be used as a background prop. It had no engines or landing gear attached when I saw it and the wings were lying on the ground next to the fuselage.
I was there for the filming of a “Mail Call” episode for the History Channel in 2005. None of the crew had any idea that B-24 was there until we went around a building and found it lying there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:38 pm 

davew833 wrote:

The passenger cars were built in the old Santa Fe shops here in Albuquerque, and the car bodies were made out of what appeared to be decent-grade pine lumber (no surprise given that quite a few scenes were actually filmed on top of said cars). The carbodies were made to fit on 40 foot flatcars, some of which appeared to be of the type used in U.S. naval shipyards; some were also placed on flatbed trailers for some scenes. Not all had interiors, and most of the flats probably didn't have working brakes (or not any that would be legal for use outside of something like this; I know the shipyard cars probably wouldn't have working brakes as none of the ones I saw at Mare Island or Puget Sound had any!).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:15 pm 

The locomotives appear to be pretty well built, maybe along the lines of the "Thomas" engines. One is on display at Disneyland. Bear in mind that the RGS 20 replica built for the 1950 movie "A Ticket To Tomahawk" has survived all these years and still looks pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:30 am 

Does anyone have photos of these things, or do we have to see the movie (which I don't think has been released in Australia yet)?
Cheers, Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:54 am 

It's already being touted on Time Warner cable over here. I don't think you will need to wait long, but you may not find it worth the wait.

dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:46 pm 

Depp and Hammer are signed for sequals, I would bet you would have to expect a sequal, and the prop trains probably re-used, consider the script tho, it might do something completely different, this is a Lone Ranger reboot.

I think there will be sequal(s) and try to be done on lower budgets but not so busy
on multiple subjects as this movie deals with, perhaps they will find a recurring bad guy who keeps being a thorn on them. (sequal time again!)

It could get interesting actually.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:50 am 

All things being equal, I'd rather see a sequel. Now back to our original broadcast.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:36 pm 

We just saw the movie, and the rail scenes were impressive in their generic realism, even if we pick at specifics (couplers, throttle). I noted the absence of any whistle blowing in the movie, and I attribute that to the basic difficulty of emulating same with their props.

I know they built a line, but was all that canyon chase scene trackage computer generated?

Things I noticed:

No steam or water drips anywhere

Track at station was heavy ballast, neat and tidy.

Track in train robbery scene was covered in dirt to rail head. Was this to protect the horses?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:58 pm 

For what its worth, the mock hangar from Casablanca (1942) is still around and stored at the end of the airstrip adjacent to the "new" Pacific Coast Railroad in Santa Margarita, CA (albeit disassembled to kit form until it can be resurrected as a permanent structure), and the famous prop depot from So Dear to My Heart was recently reconstructed a second time in Glen Ellen, CA, after years at Ward Kimball's Grizzly Flats. Some fare better than others, I guess.