It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Gettysburg Railroad Partial Crownsheet failure 1995
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:28 am 

Before anybody gets the impression that this was a 'good idea' that ran afoul of regulatory issues, I'm not particularly sure that was the case. I think there was also a good portion of performance issues as well, to say nothing about ride quality.

I'm reminded of the BBC 'light rail vehicle' TV spoof that consisted of a jaguar towing a train of various small camping trailers, all on rails, each of which was equipped for various purposes such as first class, dining, etc. It actually ran, at least for the spoof. The Jag also made a killer hirail vehicle... until you had to run it backwards and it overheated. Hmmm.

My impression, and impression only, was that the show-stopper is the collision protection and frame strength on 'new' equipment post 1999, which technically drips into this level of creativity. Recently there's been movement on that front to allow foreign-built DMU's to operate with some separation. There's probably also a host of other specific non-compliant issues here (brakes? sanders?) but getting past the frame strength on a 'new' passenger rail vehicle has been significant for a lot more attempts than this.

And the first rule of waivers is you have to appreciate the fact you are in violation without one, and apply for a waiver, and actually go through the effort. Having inspectors just show up first and defend with 'I'll get a waiver" never seems to go quite as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:39 am 

Randy Gustafson wrote:
I'm reminded of the BBC 'light rail vehicle' TV spoof that consisted of a jaguar towing a train of various small camping trailers, all on rails, each of which was equipped for various purposes such as first class, dining, etc. It actually ran, at least for the spoof. The Jag also made a killer hirail vehicle... until you had to run it backwards and it overheated. Hmmm.

Randy--

That was the British automotive journal program "Top Gear," which in one format or another, has been running over there in the Isles since the 1970's. It now is being broadcasted on the BBC America network, so we here in the "Colonies," as the 3 presenters on the show like to call the US, can see all the car lunacy like the episode described above. I saw that episode--I thought they were completely mad, especially for inviting a number of safety inspectors from British Railways to ride in their "caravan" contraption and for inviting the chief editor of British Railway Journal to ride in their hi-rail sports car. It didn't end so well. Especially when they encountered the other train. I won't say anymore (of course it was all for fun, and funny it was).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:44 am 

Here ya go! (pictures from various sites, not my own)

http://www.salinafyi.com/marketplace/businesses/abilene-smoky-valley-railroad/features/4601/

Certainly looks more substantial than its Pennsylvania counterpart. If I'm not mistaken, they crafted this in order to drive around a level crossing with the BNSF (?) that had been removed.

Dave Crosby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:09 pm 

Rainier Rails wrote:
Randy Gustafson wrote:

Randy--

That was the British automotive journal program "Top Gear," which in one format or another, has been running over there in the Isles since the 1970's. It now is being broadcasted on the BBC America network, so we here in the "Colonies," as the 3 presenters on the show like to call the US, can see all the car lunacy like the episode described above. I saw that episode--I thought they were completely mad, especially for inviting a number of safety inspectors from British Railways to ride in their "caravan" contraption and for inviting the chief editor of British Railway Journal to ride in their hi-rail sports car. It didn't end so well. Especially when they encountered the other train. I won't say anymore (of course it was all for fun, and funny it was).

Top Gear is really a comedy show based on the automotive business and auto enthusiasts. Just about everything they attempt to do (outside of fairly straight-forward tests of new cars) is deliberately designed to fail in a most spectacular and hilarious way. They also happen to do it with some of the best videography seen on contemporary TV anywhere (example one of that being the race between the replica A1 Tornado, '49 Jag, and motorcycle). It also happens to be one of the highest rated shows in BBC history. The History Channel version is a substantially inferior copy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:24 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
Top Gear is really a comedy show based on the automotive business and auto enthusiasts. The History Channel version is a substantially inferior copy.

The BBC (superior) version I watch weekly. I skip over the History Channel (inferior) version completely. On a side note, I remember when the History Channel used to have a strong line up of actual historical programming. Unfortunately, the only 2 remaining programs really worth watching are "American Pickers" and "Modern Marvels."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:05 pm 

Rainier Rails wrote:
Unfortunately, the only 2 remaining programs really worth watching are "American Pickers" and "Modern Marvels."

It's way off topic, but much of each of these shows is staged. I know people who've been on each and they've told me that they were told what to say, how to react, and in each case over objects they never were going to sell anyone...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:00 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Years ago, I received an out-of-thin-air solicitation from a History Channel producer to help write a program or three for them for a series they were doing. After discussing a bit, I asked them to send me a sample of what they had in mind. They sent me an advance master of an episode that included that Metro-North PR guy going on and on about that "secret" siding and elevator under Grand Central Terminal for "FDR's limo" and the "armored rail car" still there.

I never replied to them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:07 pm 

p51 wrote:
It's way off topic, but much of each of these shows is staged. I know people who've been on each and they've told me that they were told what to say, how to react, and in each case over objects they never were going to sell anyone...

I'm not surprised. Reality TV is "reality" TV.

Anyway, back to railbuses: if and when any of the surviving Rio Grande Southern "Galloping Geese" operate, do they do so under a waiver from the FRA, or are they somehow "compliant" with current regulations? And how does that apply to railbuses preserved elsewhere?

Picture linked is of RGS #2 (more of a "railtruck" than a "railbus") at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2424295