It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: N&W RS-3 #300
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:59 pm 

Seeing pics of the N&W RS-3 #300 I noticed the number boards on the short hood are set back by the cab and not by the corners like other units or even the long hood of this unit. Seems odd to move them there, does anyone know the reason behind this and was this done by Alco or modified by the N&W? There is a flat section up front where they are normally but I really can't think of a reason someone would go through the trouble of relocating them. I also noticed there's a set of louvers added right next to the cab door down low on this unit, I'm thinking there were modifications done to the short hood of this unit for some reason but it doesn't seem to have been steam generator or dynamic brake equipped.

Anyone have any additional info on this unit?

EDIT: here's a clear pic of the unit showing what I'm referring to

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3107686

Post subject: Re: N&W RS-3 #300
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:49 pm 

FWIW, this looks like something done during construction at Alco. Looking thru Joseph Strapac's SP Historic Diesels - Alco Roadswitcher Locomotives, The Southern Pacific Lines (Texas and New Orleans, 170 number series) "Phase II" RSD-5's with dynamic brakes also have this feature. Very different than say a D&H RS with d/b.

Anyone know if there were different d/b set-ups offered by Alco?

Post subject: Re: N&W RS-3 #300
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:22 am 

N&W 300 does have dynamic brakes. The coarse louver near the cab door is the intake and the exhaust would be on the roof. The RS-3's had a lower capacity grid hatch than what was applied to the 244 engined road-freight and passenger units. There was not enough room in the short hood for the high capacity grid hatch.

Recall that N&W came late to diesels, so they had no early dalliances with 'streamliners',
early switchers, etc. There was but a handful or two of RS-3's ordered-and then ALCo began supplying RS-11's. The RS-11 carbody (designed by MLW) had space over the engine for the high-capacity grid hatch.

As for the relocation of the number boards, I surmise N&W may have spec'ed increased sand capacity. If the sandboxes were the full height (in the corners of the short hood), there would be no inside access to the number board lights in the stock location. Hence the need to move them.

Dave