It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Question,CNJ 113
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:05 pm 

GSpro,

Calendars for 2014 are "in the works". Previous calendars sold for $5 each plus postage. T-shirts and sweat shirts and hoodies were once available, I don't know if any have been left over and if any more will be sold again. Again, call the above number at the Minersville station to see what is available.

Every once in a while I have to reiterate: I am not Jersey Steam. This refers to the whole project in Minersville. I am just the one who does the posting. Also, it is not me and the crew. It is Bob Kimmel and the crew. I have done very little grunt work on site. I have lettered the engine and tender, made numerous foundry patterns, wrote egrants, and am constantly (sometimes not enough when I wish I could post more) on the phone with Bob Kimmel for one thing or another, and around about half the time when we are firing up the engine.

Steam locomotive restoration does not have an ETA especially under the conditions of this restoration which is outdoors. Winter brings things to a stop, and on hot summer days the locomotive can get too hot to work on. If we had a shop, the engine would have been up and running long ago.

The engine is ready to fire up and test run again.

Bernie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:03 am 

Jersey steam wrote:
Bigjim,

Call Bob Kimmel at the Minersville Station 570-544-8300. If he gives you anything that he wants public, post it here.

Bernie

And when would be the best times to call?

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:40 am 

I'm personally amazed at what the crew has done outdoors in the amount of time it's taken. I'm not proud of it, but I saw that engine sitting there 10 or so years ago and thought "ain't never gonna happen." I can't say how happy I am to have been proven wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:51 am 

Bob's schedule is flexible, so try anytime in the morning after 9:00 to about 5:00. You will probably get the answering machine anyway because he will be outside working on something.

Bernie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:35 am 

I could be way off base with this, as it is total speculation, but issues non-mechanical, such as insurance and legal protection for the owners, might be slowing the revival. These are, sadly, ugly, hidden expenses we'd all like to forget as observers. Owners can't forget them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:48 am 

Richard,

I have no knowledge of this aspect of the operation so I can't add anything here. As far as I know, it is all mechanical tweaking.

Bernie