It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trolley Cars on Keokuk Dam June 28-30
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:38 am 

The Keokuk Daily Gate City carries an article about the trolleys that will be running over the Keokuk Dam during its 100th anniversary celebration June 28-30:

http://www.dailygate.com/article_2ab2336a-d9f8-52e0-bc30-67332be21836.html

The trolleys, from the Midwest Electric Railway Museum in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, are a "Peter Witt" style trolley from Milan, Italy and a 1911 car from Rio de Janeiro. I happened to see the first car on its flatbed on Wednesday (June 5) when it was being hauled to Keokuk, but had no camera with me. Today I went down to the dam and managed to get a few shots of both cars through the chain link fence. (I will try for admittance later for better photos.)

Regrettably, the plan to run an excursion train from the Keokuk Union Depot over the Mississippi River bridge (below the dam) during the anniversary celebration did not materialize due to car rental and transport costs, although Pioneer Railcorp - Keokuk Junction Railway was offering a locomotive and crew. Happily there will be at least the trolley cars over the dam to provide rail interest during the event, and the Depot itself, not far from the Dam, will also be open to visitors.

Attachments:
trolleys_hamilton_6-8-2013.jpg
trolleys_hamilton_6-8-2013.jpg [ 281.41 KiB | Viewed 6041 times ]

Last edited by rlsteam on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Trolley Cars on Keokuk Dam June 28-30
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:07 pm 

Hey Boss,
Did they de-electrify the dam? I remember that a 250v flatbed motor of early 1900s vintage used to operate across it, and I thought that the Philly interurbans just ran in full parallel when they had operated on the dam many years ago.
It looks like generators are part of the pictures you are showing...
I like the work you are organizing on the depot!
O. Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:45 pm 

Yes, the wires have been removed. Attorney Kameron Miller, of Carthage, Illinois, says in a post on the PeoriaRails Yahoo forum that the dam uses a Plymouth industrial diesel to move maintenance equipment across the dam, but I haven't seen it yet myself. (Close access to the dam has been restricted since 9-11.) A yellow drop-center maintenance car with two three-axle trucks is sitting on the track outside the gate. The old flatbed motor was still there, surrounded by brush, when I first investigated the dam some years ago but whether it's still there I don't know. I need to go down and inspect more closely to see if it's still there and if I can locate the Plymouth.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:26 am 

Thanks for the coverage. It looks like there's a generator car on a salvaged PCC truck behind the Milano tram.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:32 pm 

Here's a video on Facebook someone took from the entire ride across the Keokuk Dam today.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=46 ... =2&theater
I think the trolley owners, Midwest Electric Railway, took the video since it was on their Facebook page. I was told the cars are pushed by a small diesel engine, not a generator. (Tickets were sold out, I didn't get to ride the trolley myself.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:19 pm 

The cars were powered by a diesel generator. The freight motor 1100 is at the Midwest Electric Railway.