It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: US&S H2 Support Bracket
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:10 am 

We are in need of the short support brackets to mount the signal to mast, we have the long brackets that we would like to trade for the short ones.

these are located in the San Francisco Bay area. as these are heavy items shipping may be hi.

can email pictures if needed

we will be mounting the signals on a signal bridge in the next year,

if you have short ones to trade please email pmcfall@prodigy.net with details.

Pete McFall
Swanton Pacific Railroad
Signal Maintainer

Post subject: Re: US&S H2 Support Bracket
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:51 am 

I needed a bracket for a H2 I was going to mount on a mast. I already had one on another signal, so I just copied it and fabricated one from steel I had laying around.... they aren't that complicated if you or someone you know has the skills and a little material laying around.

I didn't have the correct actual Ubolts to use with this homemade mounting bracket and used some of smaller diameter material instead. Originals are around ½" diameter material and I think I used 3/8" instead. Works just fine.

It's kinda cold out here but if I get out I will try to take a cellphone picture of the one I made... it's in use holding up a signal right now.

I was given 4 H2's by the UPRR signal maintainer here in town. They are original MK&T signals. They are slowly but surely taking all of them down in our area and replacing them with the 3 lamp models... whatever they are called.

The maintainer is a friend of mine and stopped by one day with them in the back of his truck... complete. Asked if I wanted to save them from the scrap dumpster, to which I replied in the affirmative. Problem was he was short one mounting bracket and accompanying ubolt!

These still had the stickers pasted to the inside front of the signal housings up front of the mechanical mechanism... dated from 1944 when they were manufactured.

I saved two of these and gave the other 2 away. Got them mounted outside my shop and wired to allow control from inside the shop.