It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UP Posted 4014 video
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:22 pm 

Looking around for 4014 info and this poped up, from Ed Dickens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmTr22rvldk

Post subject: Re: UP Posted 4014 video
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:45 pm 

Thanks for sharing this. It's great to see UP is getting to work right away.

Brian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:22 pm 

I hope they hire a cinematographer to cover the complete operation from Pomona to power. The total rebuild of this huge steam locomotive is going to be something to see. I wonder if U.P. can, or will, consider using her to haul some selected freights while in their service once more? She'd be paying back her keep in that manner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:33 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
She'd be paying back her keep in that manner.

I can't stand it when people say this. I know almost all steam locomotives are girls, but you CAN'T call BIG BOY a 'she'. It's wrong on every level. Even Union Pacific says 'he' when they refer to Big Boy. Watch to the movie "Last of the Giants", and you will hear them say,

"Big Boy was a king of the rails who came to life in a fusion of steam and steel. He proclaimed his presence with a rhythmic cough and a throaty cry, belching smoke and trailing steam. He pounded through his domain with a flashing and spinning of rods and wheels. His was an awesome majesty, but he was the last of his line..."

"During his final years, Big Boy made his last stand on a short but busy section of our main line..."

There are a few other instances where the UP refer to Big Boy as a 'he'.

I get a little worked up about that, so, my apologies if I came back a little too strong. Big Boy is my favorite steam locomotive (after all), and HE is quite a sight to see. I can't wait to see him when he thunders down the rails again.

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:58 pm 

Here you go, the Hitler movie short strikes again;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ImNvEl2UB0

Funny, Enjoy, Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:59 pm 

A nice video and great that UP put that out there. Good to hear that so far the bearings they have seen look good.

The Norfolk & Western...home of the A's,Y's,M's,K's and the Mighty J's....well done Roanoke....well done.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:48 pm 

Jeff Lisowski wrote:
SteamEnthusiast4000 wrote:
I get a little worked up about that, so, my apologies if I came back a little too strong. Big Boy is my favorite steam locomotive

Not quite sure how old you are, but no need to attack Mr. Glueck on his choice of words for a steam locomotive.

I'm in my mid-20s, and that post was not intended, in any way, as an attack on Mr. Richard Glueck. I'm not a hostile person, by any means. In fact, I'm a gentle, helpful person, and I love getting to meet rail enthusiasts, especially steam enthusiasts. It is really only that one little thing that is annoying to me. I meant no disrespect, at all, toward Mr. Glueck. All I was really trying to say is that, in my opinion, you can't call Big Boy a 'she' (even though almost all steam locomotives are girls). It's gender confusion (in my opinion), and it just sounds wrong.

I suppose I could have taken a little more time to think of a better way to say all that without making sound like a direct attack on Mr. Glueck. Again, my apologies for not wording all that the best. No offense was intended.

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:38 am 

Please, no offense taken. I, myself, have been working on a project where deleting the word "she", in reference to a locomotive, is a matter of critical importance. I am certain there exist some people who would take it in the wrong manner simply because it's "drama". "He", "She", or "It"; our affection for steam locomotive remains standing.