It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Western Maryland Scenic Possibly Acquiring C&O 1309 (?)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:40 pm 

iamdarb wrote:
Latest report had it at Hancock a little after noon.

It seems delivery and unloading could start as early as Thursday.

Looks like that's just what may happen:

Photo from the WMSR Facebook page; this was the only size I could get:

https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_ ... .jpg&cfs=1

And the caption to it:

"Watch the live feed tomorrow!! She is here and will be unloaded!! Light my fire 1309!"

https://www.movingfullsteamahead.com/news/view/1309live

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:15 am 

Looks like there was a minor incident with a grade crossing signal at Brunswick, Md. Most interesting aspect, besides the incident, is that apparently the locomotive went in a regular train.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dthq4WqBo0o

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:18 am 

Additional shots can be found on Dave Davies' website...

http://members.trainorders.com/ddavies/News/news.htm

Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links

Interurban Car Photo Index
PCC Car Photo Index

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:50 am 

In response to Mr. Woodring...

Q341 (and everything else) is crewed out of Cumberland. We have no 137/138 pool anymore, we don't even have the freight pool to Brunswick. 100% of the work is in the Cumberland long-pool.

Q341 may have worked Jessup 10 years ago, but it does zero work after leaving LP now. Usually, all the local cars for Jessup are dropped off via Q249, running up the east lead, shoving them off in some track for the sole remaining Jessup job -D780- to switch them out before doubling mty racks.

341 usually gets called between midnight and 0230 (they day of the 1309 move it was called at 0230). Because of the work at Harper's Ferry on the weekends, it's been getting called closer to 4 or 5 to get around the curfew. And then you have the oddball occurrence where everything goes wrong, or there are no rested crews in the hotel and it gets called at 16:03...

And there's very little work in Baltimore any more. Because Cumberland has everything, there's no short pool, and outside of 405/406, and 438/439, BABW doesn't crew anything else... it's all gone to Richmond or Philly.

The east-end pool is still busy with ethanol trains, 216/217, 373, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:13 pm 

wm7545 wrote:
In response to Mr. Woodring...

Q341 (and everything else) is crewed out of Cumberland. We have no 137/138 pool anymore, we don't even have the freight pool to Brunswick. 100% of the work is in the Cumberland long-pool.

Q341 may have worked Jessup 10 years ago, but it does zero work after leaving LP now. Usually, all the local cars for Jessup are dropped off via Q249, running up the east lead, shoving them off in some track for the sole remaining Jessup job -D780- to switch them out before doubling mty racks.

341 usually gets called between midnight and 0230 (they day of the 1309 move it was called at 0230). Because of the work at Harper's Ferry on the weekends, it's been getting called closer to 4 or 5 to get around the curfew. And then you have the oddball occurrence where everything goes wrong, or there are no rested crews in the hotel and it gets called at 16:03...

And there's very little work in Baltimore any more. Because Cumberland has everything, there's no short pool, and outside of 405/406, and 438/439, BABW doesn't crew anything else... it's all gone to Richmond or Philly.

The east-end pool is still busy with ethanol trains, 216/217, 373, etc.

It sounds like if I had stayed I wouldn't be able to hold much of anything in Baltimore.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:38 pm 

C&O #1309 has arrived on the WMSR

Attachments:
130901.jpg
130901.jpg [ 149.27 KiB | Viewed 9121 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:41 pm 

Diesel #7 with #139 in tow

Attachments:
ebt7.jpg
ebt7.jpg [ 148.03 KiB | Viewed 9113 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:07 pm 

Wow, and the CR-4, too!

This is lame by comparison, but it's something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYga5wi3 ... youtu.be&a

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:09 pm 

Detail shot of the front engine

Attachments:
frontengine.jpg
frontengine.jpg [ 147.51 KiB | Viewed 8996 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:52 pm 

Looks like they burned off the receiver pipe to get the LP engine out. Will this be a problem to repair/fabricate?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:01 pm 

Dave Stephenson wrote:
Looks like they burned off the receiver pipe to get the LP engine out. Will this be a problem to repair/fabricate?

No. It won't. They had to do what they had to do. I am sure they have prints for most of the locomotive. Everything will be taken apart anyway.

Andy Pullen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:06 pm 

some good welding it'll be back on. But surprised they didnt try to remove the nuts/bolts,
same thing with the Lost Engines, cut around the separation joints than removing them lugnuts. By design thats how you originally separated it. Perhaps less time consuming to get the move going. Rusty nuts can be a BIG headache.

Find out who/what dropped the crossing gate? you know me I might've run out there and try to tug it out of the way. Prolly too dangerous to try. Also was dangerous so close getting the shot, pieces can fly and do things...

My brain is just seeing this baby barking up a storm, already can't wait...I'll have to run my HO version to settle me down...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:42 pm 

Quote:
Find out who/what dropped the crossing gate? you know me I might've run out there and try to tug it out of the way. Prolly too dangerous to try. Also was dangerous so close getting the shot, pieces can fly and do things...

A lot of NS crossing in my area have toll free phone numbers posted on them and some CSX lines (even lines no longer in use) have the same... I can't help but to wonder if the photographer made any attempt to call CSX to let them know about it. To be honest I would be afraid to post a video like this because I would fear that I would be questioned about the crossing signal... hope the photographer's car didn't have any suspicious damage...

Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links

Interurban Car Photo Index
PCC Car Photo Index

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:12 am 

This project gets more fascinating all the time.

For instance, the detail photo of the front engine definitely reveals bar frame construction (a throwback feature, cast frames were common in new construction by 1949), and it's possible to see between the spokes of the drivers (and can we determine what kind of bearings are in there?) Overall the machinery looks pretty good, but look at the caked grease that's still there from 1956!

Looking forward to hearing this engine transition from simple to compound at about 10 mph, and to a particularly eerie hooter whistle in the Narrows. . .

Now, will she be painted for WM or for C&O? If for C&O, will she have the freight or the passenger paint scheme? What was the difference between passenger and freight schemes on the C&O? Passenger engines had polished rods, freight engines got painted rods. . .

Let the debate on paint schemes begin--but give me time to run to the bomb bunker under the Greenbriar!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:17 am 

dinwitty wrote:

My brain is just seeing this baby barking up a storm, already can't wait...I'll have to run my HO version to settle me down...

What happened to the crossing gate is particularly interesting given the location. That's on what are normally eastbound tracks at Brunswick; the road only goes down to the C&O Canal National Park. It dead-ends down there; it's not a location that's going to get big trucks or other similar traffic, maybe at most a motor home.

A lot of us will need settling down over the next year or two. . .

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 26  Next