It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Power Reverse Gear ID
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:57 pm 

I may be wrong but I believe that the 208 was actually operated at French Lick for a period of time. I saw it Easter Weekend 1995 on display near the French Lick Depot. It didn't look like it had operated in a while. Do any of their volunteers frequent this board and can speak of this Power Reverse in Operation?

Here's a photo I found on http://members.trainorders.com/tvrha/Tvrha.htm:
It looks like it was taken at their turn around point. I seem to remember a little country store where you could buy snacks, etc. I don't remember if this is the same place they call "Gradman Station" now.

http://www.angelfire.com/va/GooseCreekRR/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:19 pm 

gcrr -

Although I never saw it run, I do believe that A&NR 2-6-0 #208 was operated for a time by the folks there in French Lick, Indiana. I think they actually purchased ex-Mobile & Gulf 2-6-0 #97, and also operated that for a time. I don't know however, which of the two Mogul's was in operation first, nor what the dates of those operations were. Someone perhaps, might be able to tell us.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 pm 

I checked J. David Conrad's book and think I have answered my own question. The Indiana Railway Museum acquired Mobile & Gulf 2-6-0 #97 in 1977. It looks like they leased A&NR 2-6-0 #208 beginning in June of 1986. Still not sure when either locomotive was actually operated by the folks there in French Lick. Must have been fun going through the tunnel on their line behind steam!

Les

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:08 pm 

A few more Reader RR recollections of the 108 just came out of the wood work, and they said that the power reverse was a ViLoco....they said that was the only one they had ever seen like it, and I have never, ever seen any ViLoco ads, brochures, ect for anything but air ringers and other such small air operated accessories. But they general opinion is the A&NR didn't put these reverse gears on until after WW2, and even then I don't think their Mike 110 has one. Maybe it was a late offering that just didn't catch on because it didn't have time??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:20 am 

Sorry for bumping up an older topic, but these locomotives are of particular interest to me. I live inside of an hour away from French Lick and have taken excursion trains there a couple of times in my childhood. Don't ask me why I haven't went back since, I can't really answer that...heh. My wife and I plan on going there sometime soon and perhaps I can gather more information. As of right now, this is all I know:

Around 1991 or 1992 I rode there a couple of times and the train was pulled by steam both times (yes, riding behind steam was interesting and really set the mood better for the wild west hold-ups). I can't say if she was number 208 or 97, too young to remember details like that and I'm not sure if we have any photos from the time. They also were letting kids climb up into the cab with the engineer and blow the whistle before departure at that time. It's not an experience I'll ever forget, which ever engine it was. Also, the above image of 208 does appear to be at the end of the excursion, in West Baden and the train did in fact reverse back into French Lick.

When the wife and I manage the trip over there, I might be able to find other information about these engines.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:35 am 

Les Beckman wrote:
Russ -

I am not trying to steal your thread here on Power Reverse Gears, but your bringing up Angelina & Neches River 2-6-0 #208 at French Lick, got me to thinking about the engine again. The Mogul is not owned by the Indiana Railway Museum there, but was leased from a museum in Texas. I think that the lease has long expired, but the Texas group has never had the funds, or perhaps a location, to move the locomotive. I just wonder what the current status might be. It seems that the 208 would be a nice locomotive for some museum or tourist railroad. Perhaps someone from the Texas group might chime in with some info.

Thanks.

Les

Kenny L. -

Never got a response to the above question from anyone in the Texas organization that supposedly still owns the 208. If you and your wife DO go down there, perhaps you might ask someone there what the current status is on the locomotive. Perhaps the French Lick folks now own the Mogul outright.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:40 am 

Not a matter of if, but when. I plan on making time to take the trip down there, even if to just wander about the outdoor museum. My wife does want to go for a ride there, though. I plan on gathering as much info as possible due to personal interest in these locomotives in particular, as stated, but I have found this out over the phone:

The locomotive number 208 is indeed still owned by the Trinity River Railroad Historical Association and simply still hasn't been moved due to any number of logistical or monetary reasons.

As far as the more technical aspect of the original post involving exactly what kind of power reverse gearing it is, she said she'd leave my name and number and the subject of the question for someone more knowledgeable. Man by the name of Allen Barnett, she said he still worked there part time but was actually instrumental in getting the locomotive there to French Lick and the Indiana Railway Museum originally and is much more technically knowledgeable in its workings. I'll keep you all informed of what I find out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:06 pm 

Kenny -

Alan Barnett has been the long time President of the Indiana Railway Museum in French Lick (and at its earlier locations). Any info you can find out about the steam locomotives at IRyM would certainly be appreciated.

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:37 pm 

Kenny L wrote:
The locomotive number 208 is indeed still owned by the Trinity River Railroad Historical Association and simply still hasn't been moved due to any number of logistical or monetary reasons..

Kenny, Les and all,

Trinity Valley Railfan Club, d/b/a TVRHA, does indeed own the #208. The locomotive's historic/logistic situation presented herein is essentially correct. I joined the organization some years after the lease with French Lick expired, and I'm told that #208 was steamed and operated on occasion./.backup to #97 until 1996.

We find ourselves at a turning point in having to decide #208's disposition. An erstwhile operating venue for the locomotive in the DFW metroplex does not appear to be forthcoming. We are not in a position to effect the engine's repatriation to "home" territory, i.e. back to Texas, or the South Plains States region.

I would personally still wish to see #208 find its way back home nevertheless, albeit in possession and care of another viable organization. We'd certainly entertain ideas, proposals, et al..

George Jenista
Vice President
Trinity Valley RR Heritage Association
Post Office Box 6743
Fort Worth, Texas 76115-0743
email: tvrha2001@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:33 pm 

it's been a bit over two years now since George talked about number 208 and I wondered if there is anything new on the Mogul?

Les

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:30 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
it's been a bit over two years now since George talked about number 208 and I wondered if there is anything new on the Mogul?

Les

Got a PM today from George Jenista who advised be that the TVRHA has sold Mogul #208 to the museum there in French Lick.

Les