It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: CNJ 113 and RBMN 425 to be in Schuikill Haven under stea
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:50 pm 

Bernie,

Thanks for all of your hard work. Please don't allow the folks who suffer from multiple internet personality disorder keep you for sharing and participating in conversation here. It is so sad that one single nutcase can cause so much trouble. This person has a history of pretending to be others, I'm certain he is not a volunteer, just an internet nutcase.

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:05 pm 

I found this 113 Fan Page on Facebook. It is run by people who are not pretending to be someone else.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5835675 ... ?ref=br_tf

The other fan page is run by a freak of nature who goes around pretending to be other people. He has run the page pretending to be a volunteer on the 113 project. I don't understand it, maybe this person has had some sort of brain trauma, maybe dropped on his head when a small child.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Central- ... 4995049093

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:25 pm 

Bernie - first, congratulations to you and the crew for an amazing restoration under trying conditions and circumstances. The applaud received at the end of the day was well earned and heartfelt from the railfan community. Almost teared up, myself.

Second - I was about to state what Tom saved me the trouble of doing, though let me endorse his comments. Don't let a few ruin it for the majority (lol - or don't let the majority ruin it for the few!) Those without a clue merit none of your attention.

I too thought the FB page was yours. You could contact FB and have it removed possibly, if you are not able to work out a viable and beneficial agreement with whomever set it up.

Does Project 113 have a current home on the 'Net? If not, maybe someone would be happy to help and even volunteer some hours to keep it rolling. Would be a big plus for those who follow and perhaps more so for the uninformed /misinformed. And of course, for the charitable aspects and possible promotions.

Can't imaging any negatives responses you could've gotten... other then from those who a response is not worth any merit.

Saturday's outing was amazing and as Ross stated, an obvious huge success for all parties involved. Can't wait to see #113 back in action and look forward to catching up with you some more in person next event.

Till then - enjoy some pics!

/Mitch

Attachments:
CNJ 113 Steam Up LR.jpg
CNJ 113 Steam Up LR.jpg [ 302.69 KiB | Viewed 7924 times ]
CNJ 113 Back Up LR.jpg
CNJ 113 Back Up LR.jpg [ 315.13 KiB | Viewed 7924 times ]
CNJ 113 Schuylkill Haven LR.jpg
CNJ 113 Schuylkill Haven LR.jpg [ 221.51 KiB | Viewed 7924 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:27 pm 

And, a two more...

/Mitch

Attachments:
CNJ 113 SH LR.jpg
CNJ 113 SH LR.jpg [ 241.06 KiB | Viewed 7924 times ]
CNJ 113 Wrap Up Minersville LR.jpg
CNJ 113 Wrap Up Minersville LR.jpg [ 343.04 KiB | Viewed 7924 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:48 am 

And while we're at it, here's video from the day, courtesy of Big Jim Video Productions (hey, that's me!) - enjoy!

http://youtu.be/Za-ZrukWIOc

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:14 am 

Thanks for the video footage. Never realized just how big a machine she is. Interesting to apply Baker motion to a switcher.

Could anyone please furnish the specs on her? Driver diameter, bore & sroke, boiler pressure, t.e. and weight on drivers. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:26 am 

tom moungovan wrote:
Thanks for the video footage. Never realized just how big a machine she is. Interesting to apply Baker motion to a switcher.

Could anyone please furnish the specs on her? Driver diameter, bore & sroke, boiler pressure, t.e. and weight on drivers. Thanks.

Steamlocomotive.info is always a good start for specs:
http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomo ... splay=1032

/Mitch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:54 am 

It's driving me crazy.... why do the footboards, front and back, appear to be dark blue, not black?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:11 am 

To all involved, CONGRATS on a job well done!!!!!! She looks great! Enjoy the heat, the steam and the sounds of that beauty!

Those smiles in the tender I don't think you could remove them with a chisel and hammer! LOL

Oh Bernie, There is a picture of you on the unofficial page on Facebook.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:13 am 

Perhaps it's just the angle of the photos, but the front foot boards look a little bit high to me.

It's great to see 113 out and about. This one is the real thing: gritty NE Penna. workaday steam power. Would be some great images to have it pose at Huber before that goes away....

Howard P.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:42 am 

Mgoldman wrote:
tom moungovan wrote:

Steamlocomotive.info is always a good start for specs:
http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomo ... splay=1032

/Mitch

Thanks Mitch, not yet used to that site, but I will try to remember it in the future.
113 is a real stud and has about the same t.e. as a number of classes of 0-8-0 types. I did the math and the factor of adhesion is 4.23. Alco came up with a no nonsense machine here. Great to see her under steam again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:36 am 

Mitch,

Someone started a web site for 113 but it didn't go very far. The group of people on the tender and in the cab representes the backbone of volunteers who work on the project. None of them (myself included) have the desire or time to work on one. The site would have to be done by someone who comes to the work area on a regular basis and gets all the information firsthand and just loves doing that sort of thing.

Anything negative sent to our email was concerning the Facebook site, not the operations of the day.

Big Jim,

Great video!

Wowak,

I will try to remember to talk to Bob about the blue footboards. Trying to be serious, but I heard one volunteer say it was to match the blue on the nose plate. It is driving me crazy too.

Steve,

At the end of the day, one volunteer got off the tender and said something like it was one of the highlights of his life!

Howard,

I don't think there are any operable tracks near Huber that I am aware of that would make a suitable close type photo.

Tom,

My memories about the bald Lunkenheimer are vague. I somewhat remember testing what may have been it on WK&S #65. If so, it leaked very badly at the service cap. If it was this whistle, it was traded to someone in Texas.

B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:48 am 

Jersey steam wrote:
Mitch,

Someone started a web site for 113 but it didn't go very far. ...The site would have to be done by someone who comes to the work area on a regular basis and gets all the information firsthand and just loves doing that sort of thing.

B

Now where on Earth would we find someone like that?

Question is, what cost, if any would there be in hosting such a site.

Bernie - I'm betting someone would jump at the chance to host such a site and you might even find someone who would build it and possibly host it. Why not put out a call - on line, here, or any other railfan site. I know many railfans that not only build sites, but also host. You might even inquire with a NRHS chapter.

/Mitch

PS - I heard the new red and blue number plate is "true" CNJ. Can you put us in the loop regarding the new plate and the details of the old rectangular "113" plate?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:31 pm 

Mitch,

The "new" plate is probably over 10 years old. I would have to check the pattern to see if I put a date on it like I usually do. Part of the pattern is rosin taken from a rubber mold of an original Alco plate of a locomotive in Florida. I never remember the details, but Bob would know. I ground off the original number and half the date and made the proper numerals. I did all the work on the back of the plate pattern which required ribs and two mounting holes. The blue and red was my work, but there probably have been others with that color scheme. I have seen some with an all black scheme.

113 was delivered with this style of plate.

At some point the CNJ switched to the rectangular plate (some CNJ historian jump in here). These and the Reading Company's were identical. I made a series of backer plate patterns and we have one original Reading pattern and I made a complete set of numeral patterns. We cast a rectangular plate with stainless numerals which Bob intermittently exchanges with the round plate depending what mood he is in. I have no preference. I like both styles.

The original 113 plate is in storage and will rarely be used. All the plates on 113 are reproductions.

B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:34 pm 

JimBoylan wrote:
Does it burn Famous Reading Anthracite, or some other brand of hard coal?
Or, does it burn Blue Coal, from J. M. Huber on the Central Railroad of Pennsylvania (Jersey Central Lines), to match the blue trim?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next