It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SP Business Cars
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:01 pm 

In regards to Southern Pacific car 107, Delmonte, I thought I might offer some information and clarifications..

Car 107 was built under lot 4399 and plan 2926 as car San Marino lettered for the San Joaquin and Eastern Railroad ( a railroad owned by Huntington but was not suitable to handle the all steel full size private car ) Car was delivered in September 1916 as the private car for Henry E Huntington. Car was kept indoors at Huntington's home in San Marino California. ( it replaced MKT 170.. originally the 110, that Huntington bought a year or so earlier as his personal private car ) and was housed with San Marino 2 ( a combine for his help and goods ) and the Alabama ( a St. Louis Car Co private interurban built for Huntington ). The MKT 170 ( San Marino ) was sold when the newly built 1916 San Marino was delivered.

It is believed based upon personal letters from Huntington to the Pullman Company, in 1917, that the car was to be re-lettered Chesapeake and Ohio and retain the name San Marino as the Huntington family had a controlling interest in the C&O. Records in my possession indicate that in 1920, the car was re-lettered again for the Southern Pacific ( Huntington's also had a controlling interest in the Southern Pacific ) and it is believed the car retained the San Marino name, until after H.E. Huntington's death in 1927. The car was sold to the Southern Pacific at that point and re-named Delmonte and became car 107.

The car much later in life was sold to the Ferrocarrill del Pacifico and became their car ASR 6078 while in Mexico. In 1985, Anbel Corporation bought two SP cars back to Texas that included the San Marino / Delmonte and the SP Los Angeles. Both cars were offered for sale upon returning to the United States.

An attorney from California purchased the San Marino / Delmonte and had the Anbel Corporation do the initial work to return the car to Amtrak compatibility. The cars return to mainline service happened in July 1986 in private ownership. The attorney from California ran the car for a few years, and then started a second lengthy rebuild for Amtrak service but the project was never finished due to an untimely automobile accident that took his life. The estate sold the car, then at the Filmore and Western RR in California to a gentleman from Birmingham who took on the remaining restoration and completed it in 1999.

I bought the car in 2002 and the car is still Amtrak compatible and stored indoors and retains its original 1916 interior. A photograph of the car at New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal shows the current condition.

Hope this information is helpful

Dean Levin

Attachments:
SANMARINONOUPT.jpg
SANMARINONOUPT.jpg [ 181.62 KiB | Viewed 13356 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:17 pm 

Dean--

Thanks for the info on the "San Marino"! That's one classy-looking Private Varnish!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:37 pm 

Rainier Rails wrote:
Dean--

Thanks for the info on the "San Marino"! That's one classy-looking Private Varnish!

And an absolute joy to ride in, believe me.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:07 am 

I am the owner of the Ex S.P. 125 (sister to the S.P. 132) I can give you the plan numbers and ay thing else off of my blue prints and car history. Please feel free to contact me. Karl H. Reichhold, E-mail onalark4u@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:18 pm 

An Update:

SP #106, which was reported earlier in this thread as being owned by the Tri-City & Olympia Railroad (TCRY) and located in Richland, WA (one of the Tri-Cities), is currently posted for sale on Sterling Rail's website.

However, due to some other information I have come across, I believe the Sterling Rail listing is out-of-date by a few months.

Pictures of the #106 now have it being owned by the California Northern (related to the Arizona & California, formerly RailAmerica, now G&W) and located in Napa Junction, CA.

#106 in Napa Junction, CA, in November 2013: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3708516 (Jamie West photo)

A Very Merry Eleventh Day of Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:03 am 

A couple of history comments about SP107 Del Monte

PLATFORMCAR wrote:
... the car was re-lettered again for the Southern Pacific ( Huntington's also had a controlling interest in the Southern Pacific ) and it is believed the car retained the San Marino name, until after H.E. Huntington's death in 1927.
Henry E. Huntington never had a controlling interest of the Southern Pacific. His uncle Collis P. Huntington held a significant block of SP stock and was its long-time President. Collis died in 1900 and his stock in the SP went to HEH and his widow Arabela Huntington. A few years earlier, Collis had involved investment bankers when he bought out the Standford and Crocker interests in the SP; and it was the investment bankers who did not want HEH, who was Executive VP, to follow his uncle as President of the SP. Thereupon HEH and Arabella sold their stock to the Union Pacific (Harriman). Henry Huntington did remain on the boards of directors of the SP and subsidiaries.

The lettering of the "San Marino" with Southern Pacific was probably an indication of the "home road" of the car and a courtesy.
PLATFORMCAR wrote:
Car 107 was built under lot 4399 and plan 2926 as car San Marino lettered for the San Joaquin and Eastern Railroad ( a railroad owned by Huntington but was not suitable to handle the all steel full size private car ).
The San Joaquin and Eastern was owned by Pacific Light & Power an electric power supplier for the Los Angeles area controlled by Henry E. Huntington. Pacific Light & Power was later merged into Southern California Edison. The SJ&E was the railroad that provided transportation to PL&P's "Big Creek" hydroelectric project in the Sierra Nevada mountains.
PLATFORMCAR wrote:
Car 107 was built under lot 4399 and plan 2926 as car San Marino lettered for the San Joaquin and Eastern Railroad ( a railroad owned by Huntington but was not suitable to handle the all steel full size private car ) Car was delivered in September 1916 as the private car for Henry E Huntington. Car was kept indoors at Huntington's home in San Marino California. ( it replaced MKT 170.. originally the 110, that Huntington bought a year or so earlier as his personal private car ) and was housed with San Marino 2 ( a combine for his help and goods ) and the Alabama ( a St. Louis Car Co private interurban built for Huntington ).
The electric car "Alabama" was sold c.1921 to the Sacramento Northern that then used the car in parlor car service until it burned in 1931.

"San Marino 2" was upgraded from "Oneonta 2." As "Oneonta 2" this was the staff and provision car for Collis Huntington's private car "Oneonta." With Collis Huntington's death the cars went to Henry E. Huntington. "San Marino 2" became a SP combination passenger car used on branch lines.

I was unaware of use of MKT 170/110 by Henry Huntington. Thanks for the enlightenment.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:00 pm 

Rainier and the forum

Thought you and the forum might want to see some recent photographs of car 110, identified in your listing of surviving Southern Pacific business cars....

SP business car #110 "Los Angeles" (1st) constructed in 1925 by Pullman in Lot #4923 to Plan #3521A as 10S lounge solarium observation "Monte Leone". Sold to SP in 1954 and rebuilt to business car #110. Sold to FCP in 1977. No further information. Does anyone know the accomodation configuration/capacity?

Car is stored in Madison. IL and generally shows signs of prolonged exterior exposure. Car was retrucked at some point but generally appears about the same it did for years. Car has formica interior

Dean Levin

Attachments:
LOSANGELES1.jpg
LOSANGELES1.jpg [ 36.35 KiB | Viewed 12797 times ]
LOSANGELES2.jpg
LOSANGELES2.jpg [ 30.89 KiB | Viewed 12797 times ]
LOSANGELES3.jpg
LOSANGELES3.jpg [ 44.55 KiB | Viewed 12797 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:38 pm 

Thanks, Dean, for the info and photos of the #110 Los Angeles!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:20 am 

Rainier Rails wrote:
SP business car #128 Santa Rosa constructed in 1917 by Pullman as EP&SW business car #500. To #128 Santa Rosa. Transferred to SP #128 Santa Rosa in 1924. Refurbished in 1937. Sold to Yreka Western Railroad in 1968 as YW #68. Transferred to Kyle Railways in 1993 as KYLE #13. Sold to private owner in 2004 as #415 Niles and moved to Redwood City, CA. Sold to Oregon Pacific Railroad in 2011 and moved to Portland, OR.

Found several pictures of the #128 in service on the Oregon Pacific as RPCX #415 Niles, taken by Dan Haneckow in November 2013:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2871/11040476345_293a13b447_o.jpg (click once to enlarge)

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3665/11040697475_11256bba7a_o.jpg (click once to enlarge)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7308/11040685324_5555c8a5e4_o.jpg (click once to enlarge)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:27 pm 

Rainier Rails wrote:
SP business car #127 (2nd) "Alamo" constructed in 1926 by Pullman as Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio (GH&SA) business car #999 "Alamo". Transferred to T&NO #999 "Alamo" in 1931. To #127 (2nd) "Alamo" in 1960. Transferred to SP #127 "Alamo" in 1960. Retired and sold in 1982 to private owner and moved to ranch in Houston area. Does anyone know the Lot and Plan numbers? Accomodation configuration/capacity?

If I recall correctly, this car was retired and moved 'off rails' due to a frame failure. I researched it a while back, I'm a Houston native and SP fan so it interested me.

CD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:31 pm 

Thanks, CD, for the info on T&NO/SP #127 Alamo!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:27 pm 

Rainier and the forum

thought a few of you might find of interest some photographs of ex SP business car 133 Guadalupe.... These photographs were taken before the car was sold out of private ownership to the Madison Railroad ... Photographs were taken back in 2010 in Madison IL... I beleive photographic history shows this car never wore SP silver paint...

Dean Levin

Attachments:
GUAD1.jpg
GUAD1.jpg [ 33.42 KiB | Viewed 12643 times ]
GUAD2.jpg
GUAD2.jpg [ 33.55 KiB | Viewed 12643 times ]
GUAD3.jpg
GUAD3.jpg [ 45.2 KiB | Viewed 12643 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:15 pm 

Thanks, Dean, for the photos of #133 Guadalupe!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:30 am 

Southern Pacific Business Car #139, the Sacramento, was plying the rails of owner, Niles Canyon Railway last week during our week long Steamfest event. I have started restoring the exterior and put an initial coat of green on one side and the ends for Steamfest. The car was used on several of the trains during the week and weekends. The interior has most of its original wood and one of its bedrooms is complete. It was turned into a crew car later in its life.

I would love to find some in-service photos of the car. Anyone have anything to share?

Here is the car shoving back to Sunol with Santa Cruz Portland Cement ('The Chiggen') 0-4-0T providing the motive power.

-Chris

Attachments:
NCRy_Steamfest_SP139_140615_CRH_600px.jpg
NCRy_Steamfest_SP139_140615_CRH_600px.jpg [ 309.38 KiB | Viewed 12582 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:55 am 

Thanks, Chris, for the info and photo of the #139 Sacramento!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next