It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: PRR T1 Steam Locomotive Trust
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:12 am 

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but a set of the original tender trucks are at Altoona under a flatcar?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:27 am 

Could this be the brain-child of an individual who adopts many faces, names, and creates websites representing himself as involved in a number of steam restorations? Could this be another lame attempt at heroics? Besides the "pie-in-the-sky" nature of an unthoughtout adventure, why would you hand such an un-named individual real money?
If NS was behind this, I'd look at it in an entirely different light.

I suggest your donation dollars are better spent on renewing LIRR G5s #39. Please contact RMLI or Strasburg to contribute to seeing Pennsy design steam in action once again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:30 am 

I have spoken with the gentleman behind this effort and can report that he is a person of substance who realizes that this concept has many hurdles to jump.

He will be getting 501C3 status soon.

As to WRC being capable of actually building a 12:12 scale PRR T-1 I wouldn't bet against them as I believe they can do it and do it well.

While realizing that this is a true long shot let's approach it positively as it attempts to get off the launch pad.

Some 100:1 horses do win!!!

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:34 am 

I have no skin in the game, nor will i, but I would much prefer to see a NYC Hudson built new than a PRR T-1. I'm sure that if put to a vote, it would be an overwhelming choice.
That's just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
I also agree that money spent restoring the present PRR locomotives would be better spent if PRR has to be the chosen road.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:38 am 

co614 wrote:
I have spoken with the gentleman behind this effort and can report that he is a person of substance who realizes that this concept has many hurdles to jump.

As to WRC being capable of actually building a 12:12 scale PRR T-1 I wouldn't bet against them as I believe they can do it and do it well.

While realizing that this is a true long shot let's approach it positively as it attempts to get off the launch pad.

Ross Rowland

Glad to hear that someone has some "semi-inside" information on the people behind the project, and has some confidence in at least the potential. This doesn't subtract from this being a long shot, but at the same time it doesn't sound like some hopeless blatherers, either.

I have to say I liked the back-of-the-envelope calculations of how much it would cost to build such a beast. Interesting that they went with several different variations on calculating cost, and all came to a fairly reasonable range with each other.

Lest someone think those calculations are totally full of hooey, I'll mention that traditionally, steam locomotive builders priced their products by the pound.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:52 am 

co614 wrote:

Ross Rowland

Ross -

Thanks for your input. When I first heard of this project, I was (and remain) very skeptical to say the least. There are many other, more deserving, locomotives out there, that could be restored to service. Big ones like B&LE 2-10-4 #643, or one of the Burlington 05 Northerns or S4 Hudsons, or (hint, hint) a C&O Kanawha. Or a smaller one like the Long Island 4-6-0 or a Northern Pacific Ten-Wheeler or Pacific or yes, even a SLSF Mike. The candidates are numerous, and the monies limited. But then the statement about the long 18 year project for that brand new "re-creation" of the A-1 Pacific over in England got me to thinking. While that particular project was ongoing, other locomotive restorations and rebuildings and reclamations certainly didn't stop. If the gentleman you are referring to is serious, and if he can get his organization established and up and running and on a legitimate basis, I'm willing to at least see how it goes.

As I said, my skepticism is still there, but I will try to keep an open mind.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:20 am 

If the railfan community is being asked to donate then we need to consider what project of this sort we prefer. Included in that would be which has the best chance of being realized and which has the best opportunities to run if built. Also, what is the gain in general and what is added to history by resurrecting one, Jurrassic Park style.

A NYC J3A would be awesome to look at and run but maybe we wouldn't learn anything from it. A PRR T1 though, for all the rumors of how temperamental they were and the counter claims about how their performance depended so much on the crew skills, would really be able to set the record straight.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:54 am 

Richard Glueck wrote:
I have to say, she's a beautiful locomotive design, but too long to run anywhere track might be available. One might have been saved, but some things you just have to let go. If you wanted to construct a NYC Hudson, money might come forth. There are locomotives, including one K4s, that really could use the money squandered on a long rigid loco like this.
Others have said it; I want to see 501c3 status, who is running the show, where it will run, what the value is for re-creating the loco.
My personal feeling is, you money would be better invested in refurbishing the 4-6-4T at Steamtown, NKP 759, MEC 470, PRR 4483, PRR 1361, N&W 1218, CNR 6060, CB&Q 4000, AT&SF 2926 or 5000, NYC 3001, .... need I go on?

You know, I'd love to see that 4-6-4T at Steamtown running but can you imagine the furor if NPS rebuilt another Canadian engine?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:00 pm 

co614 wrote:

Ross Rowland

Ross,
Thank you for the kind words, and support.

The purpose of posting to this site is to solicit something much more valuable than funding. What is it? Experience, your experience. If you are at all interested in this project please consider contributing your time, and effort. Become a founding member. As Ross said, the project is just getting started, now is the time that your participation will be most significant in determining the final outcome.

prrt15550@gmail.com

Last edited by PRR5550 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:54 pm 

While the mysterious gentleman of substance may have wherewithal, this vague "announcement" of simple intent certainly gave a poor impression at first glance, missing any substantive and necessary detail, lacking that same wherewithal especially when asking for cash which is sort of a no-brainer...which, again, it seems to have been a very premature shot across any cash cows...the whole prospect remains vague...to say the least. If more details and less hocus pocus mystery comes about, the project would have my support..until that time..it is an "internet will o the wisp" regardless of whose brainchild it is.

Thats simply common sense that does not require further analysis.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:01 pm 

If Wasatch could really build this than perhaps Tennessee Valley RR and Wick Moorman should give them a call. Maybe they would like to run something grander than a light 2-8-2 or 2-8-0 when they are worn down. This would be a more realistic scenario to me,funded like the UP Big Boy by a third party and operated by a proven organization. http://southern.railfan.net/images/arch ... d1928.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:36 pm 

If this has Mr. Rowland's stamp of credibility on it, then that is enough for me to make up my mind.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:05 pm 

Why build a flawed design it would better to build something proven like a A, J , berkshire, or a modern Hudson shrouded like the 20th century limited .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:48 pm 

bringback1218 wrote:
Why build a flawed design it would better to build something proven like a A, J , berkshire, or a modern Hudson shrouded like the 20th century limited .

Why would we need to build a new Berkshire? The country is crawling with them, 2 are operable right now, soon(ish) 3 will be.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:06 pm 

wilkinsd wrote:
If this has Mr. Rowland's stamp of credibility on it, then that is enough for me to make up my mind.

I'm sure the T1 can be used as backup power for the 614 on the Greenbriar Express.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next