It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SANTA STEAM TRAIN RIDES AT MINERSVILLE, PA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:12 am 

These are questions that are best answered by the railroad. Maybe RBMN-ENGR could chime in here as he is closer to the operations than I am.

Bernie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:05 am 

The answer to why they just don't add another car may be as simple as Santa would not be able to visit with every child on the train unless they make the ride last longer and that would throw the trains off the schedule. Santa trains are for the enjoyment of the kids, first and foremost, think quality not quantity.

Mike Tillger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:22 pm 

You got that right, Mike. When I think of the exceptional holiday trains I have taken my son to enjoy, all of them were quality over quantity. The best? In order... Green Mountain Easter Bunny train, Steamtown holiday trains and New Hope's Santa train.

Each provided a deep experience for the kids.

Rob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:54 pm 

I truly enjoyed my day riding and watching on Sat Nov 30. There were 7 full coaches, power car and shoving platform (closed Reading caboose). The 425 was in the lead. The train backed from Minersville to Cressona and pulled northbound. Apparently some firing/steaming issues with the 113. It was dropped at Cressona on the 1 PM train and picked up by the 3 PM. Did the lack of lagging, jacket and temps in the 30s effect the steaming??? Despite those issues it sure was a great day. I have to believe there was a small boost to the local economy based on the number of folks in the Roma Pizza place. Hopefully Project 113 earned a few bucks.

Backing south a mile from Minersville

Oiling around in Minersville

Wood fired #113.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:29 pm 

Tom,

I pretty much agree that the lack of lagging and cold weather may have contributed to the steaming problems. I also believe that there is going to have to be a mix of bituminous into the anthracite to fire it properly. Once the anthracite gets down to glowing coals, it is nearly impossible to get new coal to get burning on top of it. That was the purpose for all the wood shown in the bottom photo. Wood has to go in first to get the new anthracite burning. We knew there would be a learning curve and it is proving to be a big one. I wonder if 113 was doing all the work that there would be a better draft for the fire. I wasn't on board due to recovering from an illness so I couldn't put in any input on the deck. I have some opinions and will test them next year if I get the opportunity to fire. The mix of 4-6-2 and 0-6-0 may have had something to do with it too. They are two different beasts.

Tom, I must have been standing next to you when you took that last photo.

Bernie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:43 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Video from my car-pool partner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjAeB5S2dD0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:51 pm 

Green classification lights.....second section following. Was there a following train? Nicely done video by the way.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:00 am 

It was a great railfan day. Was blessed to be in the vestibule directly behind 425 as she pulled out of West Cressona by herself on the 1pm train. She worked hard and very loud. All the better for vestibules, cracked windows, haunting whistles and jointed rail.

But it was a Santa train. The real gem of the day, according to 10 year old John (my car pool partner), were the monster sized candy canes that Santa handed out. Details are important!

Bob

PS: on the way home, listening to a York, PA FM radio station that was playing Christmas music, heard an ad for Strasburg's evening Santa/Friday evening, "ride in your pajamas" train. This station covered far into northern Baltimore. Guess I need to schedule that one next. At least John thinks so.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:17 am 

This looks like it was a great trip! Unfortunately for me, I found out about it after all tickets were sold.

How can I find out about future trips? Does the organization sponsoring the trip have a web site I can check?

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:45 pm 

Hi everyone. I decided to post some dad-with-small-kids experiences after riding the 1pm special this past weekend. I know that most of you may or may not be traveling with little people, but little people were what this train was really about, right?

This was a well organized and well attended event that operated close to the advertised schedule. There was plenty of parking and the staff was very good inside the train. Santa and his helpers were great and the peppermint billy clubs they handed out were simply amazing. I would definitely ride another excursion offered by the groups involved here. My kids had a great time, too. All in all, it was quite an adventure going over the mountains to Minersville on Saturday.

Thanks to everyone who had a hand in making this event a success and we look forward to riding future trains.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:35 pm 

It was a great day. To see two steam engines out and about with no diesels or canteen cars was a hoot. Here are two videos from the day (click to see both) including one shot by my 11 year old son who I am training on proper use of a tripod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH9lVAyznEI&feature=share&list=PL8ezBZthwLSaEeLDtZ2v4aQ7h9AO5UmOM

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:07 pm 

robertjohndavis wrote:
It was a great day. To see two steam engines out and about with no diesels or canteen cars was a hoot. Here are two videos from the day (click to see both) including one shot by my 11 year old son who I am training on proper use of a tripod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH9lVAyznEI&feature=share&list=PL8ezBZthwLSaEeLDtZ2v4aQ7h9AO5UmOM

Rob

Rob -

"Thumbs up....WAY up", for both of the Davis photographers!

Les