It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RMNE New Haven RS3 makes it on Trains must see list.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:16 pm 

Trains magazine had a special issue devoted to locomotive. They listed the top ten preserved diesel locomotive that you must see. In that list was the Railroad Museum of New England's RS3 529. It was nice to see it make the list.

Post subject: Re: RMNE New Haven RS3 makes it on Trains must see list.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:34 pm 

I'm trying to remember, but has 529 been put on its new wheels? I can't remember if they've been put on yet, or if it's just the matter of waiting for the crane to lift the engine...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:16 pm 

RCD wrote:
Trains magazine had a special issue devoted to locomotive. They listed the top ten preserved diesel locomotive that you must see. In that list was the Railroad Museum of New England's RS3 529. It was nice to see it make the list.

Well, I guess I'm just a bit confused by this. What puts NYNH&H's #529 on the list over the other surviving RS-3's? Is it the New Haven paint scheme? Or is the RS-3 one of the ten diesel models that are a must-see, and the 529 was just picked as an example? Please clue me in if possible. Thanks.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:01 pm 

daylight4449 wrote:
I'm trying to remember, but has 529 been put on its new wheels? I can't remember if they've been put on yet, or if it's just the matter of waiting for the crane to lift the engine...

NH 529 will eventually have its traction motors and wheel sets changed out. Preparations have been made.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:25 pm 

Perhaps it is because NH 529's home is on a line that it worked during much of its active revenue service career. Aside from places like EBT and the Colorado narrow gages, I can't think of too many preserved locomotives that operate on original home rails.

The wheel work mentioned above is scheduled to start soon, and plans are to have 529 back in service for the 2014 operating season. We will post photos, updates, etc. here as the project develops.

It was a nice surprise to see 529 on that Trains list; I think she deserves that honor (but I'm biased...). Thank you, Trains!

Howard P.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:54 pm 

Was the 529 ever numbered 0529 on the NH?

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:32 pm 

No. The "0" prefix, used on New Haven locomotives other than steam, went away in 1949-1950. The Alco RS-3 locomotive deliveries started in mid-1950, with 517. NH 0500-0516 were RS-2s, delivered in late 1947-late 1948.

Many, but not all, electric locomotives carrying the "0" had it removed after 1952, but all the diesels so prefixed retained the "0" until their end as PC units.

Howard P.