It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: ATSF 3463
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:13 pm 

Kind of a bummer CSR pretty well knows what they are doing and have some of the best minds in the industry on their team, hopefully their future projects turn out well. Seems to me like a bunch of don't touch Muh history folks won the time game and have doomed the locomotive to be stuffed and mounted for the foreseeable future. Toys of iron do not last long not being used and only become more expensive to repair as time goes on. The work they did this past year on the Rio Turbio railways locomotives is extremely impressive, I feel as though a real opportunity has been lost.

Post subject: Re: ATSF 3463
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:40 am 

I have obtained a clear explanation of how CSR acquired ownership of the locomotive, and they do indeed own it. With this settlement of ownership, CSR has announced a major change of plans that includes leaving the locomotive in Topeka for static display.

My first impression was that this was a concession to the opposition CSR faced with their original plan to remove the locomotive from Topeka and use it for a test bed; and that the concession was made by CSR as a condition of them being granted ownership of the locomotive by the City of Topeka.

However, this was apparently an incorrect assumption on my part. As I now understand, all the plans announced by CSR are strictly up to their prerogative. They are completely free to do anything they want with the locomotive including removing it from Topeka and using it as a test bed. They are also free to simply leave the engine sitting in its partially disassembled state indefinitely. So, other than CSR owning #3463, I have absolutely no idea what will become of the engine. Plans can change and CSR as already demonstrated a massive change of plans concerning the locomotive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8