It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: C&O? speeder
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:20 pm 

Last year I rescued a Fairmont A4 motorcar from a scrapyard. It had been sitting on the back burner, but now I am getting ready to bring it on to the operating table. After looking it over I found that the I'd tag is long gone. However, I can very faintly make out a number on each side of the top. 1352 in very typical steam loco font. Because of where this car was found, I believe it to be of GTW, C&O, or possibly Pensylvania heritage. Is there any record of unit numbers out there, or anybody familiar with speeders from any of these roads? I suspect it might be C&O, only because I found some pictures of units around that unit number. Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: C&O? speeder
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:17 pm 

There's a new book out from the C&O historical society that talks about their motor cars. There's also a decent group on Facebook where you can post photos and get some help from many folks. Narcoa is another avenue to look, but it's not really a research group. I'd suggest joining the facebook group for motorcars and posting photos with inquiries.

Joe

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:22 am 

Eric:
If you can get the engine serial number (and if it is the original engine) you can get the builder's card or "birth papers" as they are called from the historical society out in Fairmont Minnesota. All the motorcar records were saved when Fairmont exited the motorcar business. They are indexed by serial number and engine number. They charge a small fee (maybe $25) to do the research.

If you have neither engine nor serial number, then you are pretty much out of luck.

BTW, I have A-4 manuals and some parts.

Good luck,

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:06 pm 

Thanks guys. I do have a good s/n tag on the engine, but it may be a replacement. In looking it over this weekend I found some emd parts under the seat and an aluminum tag tied to a railing that reads as follows:

MTC128 LOUIVIL

I am thinking this might be an auction I'd tag or something. I will see what I can find in MN.