It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Researching Discontinued Passenger Trains
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:34 am 

Where would be a good online location to search for passenger train (and mixed train) discontinuances?

Various Google searches are pretty slim, and usually show small news items in newspapers, and occasional online editions of old NRHS and R&LHS chapter newsletters. But I am curious if there might be an online database for something like ICC applications, or an index of ICC docket numbers.

I am specifically looking for discontinuances of trains in Utah as part of my UtahRails project. But two particular occasions in 1968 are of personal interest. One was for UP's Malad Local between Ogden and Malad, Idaho, and the other was for UP's Cache Valley Local between Cache Junction, Utah, and Preston, Idaho, by way of Logan, Utah.

These were in the April-May 1968 time frame, while I was still in high school, and were my first train rides, and first exposure to railfanning in general.

Don Strack
http://utahrails.net

Post subject: Re: Researching Discontinued Passenger Trains
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:36 pm 

The best source I can think of is the Official Guides --- much more reliable than secondary sources such as newsletters.

Bob H

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:30 pm 

Are there any Official Guides available digitally? Travel to distant museums and libraries is not a possibility now, or in the foreseeable future.

Don Strack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:13 am 

I would start here:
National Archives: Records of the Interstate Commerce Commission

The ICC may have published an annual summary of its actions/decisions. I would inquire of large city libraries, state libraries, university/college libraries to find ones that were Federal Document depositories and if they maintain such items.

The Official Guide would give some idea of when the changes/discontinuances happened. But, these were travelers' guides providing timetable information.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:57 am 

Passenger Train Journal was a publication in the 1980's to 1990's that had a lot of interesting, accurate articles on Golden Age passenger services. It is not indexed online. You have to find someone who has the paper issues, and read through them.