It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: East Broad Top: 150 Cars Being Scrapped in Mount Union
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:04 pm 

Quote:
From one of the other currently active threads on the subject:

G. W. Laepple wrote:
I have heard second-hand that Mr. Salone plans to open a railcar repair facility in Mount Union.

Seriously? Salone has planned many things. All of which have never materialized. How should this time be any different?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:16 pm 

PA taxpayers beware!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:47 am 

dinwitty wrote:
I'll say it again, if EBT got back into coal they should need new hoppers.

That will never happen. I cannot even remotely imagine any scenario that would justify it.

There are plenty of potential obstacles to a mine in the area, but let's say they find a vein of rich coal and the EPA says "Yeah, sure, mine it!"

Why would they haul the coal to the railroad, load it in hoppers, and then haul it by train for 50 miles or less and then transload it into other cars? The cost of loading it twice would fair outweigh any cost savings over hauling by truck for that distance.

There are obviously no online coal consumers, so it would have to be loaded into a truck or railcar at the end of the line. The haul would be far too short, no matter what portion of the line the mine is on. Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, portions of the line might need a tiny bit of trackwork to serviceable. Oh, and you'll need a locomotive too. You'd pay for that instead of buying a coal truck why?

No, the only way EBT will ever haul coal again is if one of us wins the super-mega-powerball-galactic lottery and has money to burn. "Fix the line, restore the locos, rebuild 40 hoppers and fill 'em with coal, I have a photo I want to recreate..."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:57 am 

Good luck on developing new uses for coal in the future:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... bon-rules/

PC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:08 pm 

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but these cars were never scrapped. They are still in the Mt. Union yard.

I went to the yard on Friday, April 23:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=229882
http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=229883
http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=229839

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:15 pm 

Some on NGDF mentioned purchasing the 3/4 size Alliance couplers from the EBT equipment for use on the SR&RL and other 2' gauge ry's.

It wont fit. The 2' gauge railways used a 3/4 size coupler head alright, but with the rare (small) 3-3/4" x 3-3/4" x 16" shank.

The EBT rolling stock all use the old MCB coupler shank of 5" x 5" x 21 -1/4" (with the 6 - 1/2" butt). It will only fit in/on rolling stock designed to accept that size coupler shank.

The D&S and C&TS, use that shank, but not the 3/4 size heads.

The roads that use that design are the: White Pass, Sumpter Valley, Dollywood, Tweetsy, Westside Lumber, NCNG, and a few others.

Nearly every ng RR can use the 8" x 12" Wabco KD (K model triple valve, Dethatced reservoir and cylinder) brake parts from those hoppers.

The EBT 24" wheels were not used untill Dollywood and Tweetsy used the old hopper trucks under their passenger cars. The Vulcan trucks were incredible and will last a few hundred years more, they with wheels and axles could be used on any 3' gauge RR.

Our "paper" archives will be the future railfans only hope. We (yes you too!) should endeavor to preserve all the info needed to allow them 100% accuracy in the building of their recreations.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:12 pm 

Loco112 wrote:

It wont fit. The 2' gauge railways used a 3/4 size coupler head alright, but with the rare (small) 3-3/4" x 3-3/4" x 16" shank.

probably still of interest to 2' groups building replicas or new rolling stock, it would seem easier to build with a slightly different coupler pocket then trying to have new ones made.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:47 pm 

traindude70 wrote:
Loco112 wrote:

probably still of interest to 2' groups building replicas or new rolling stock, it would seem easier to build with a slightly different coupler pocket then trying to have new ones made.

Agreed "TrainDude"! I think your idea is a good one. Knowing the guys at the WW&F, they'll do it "Right" at any rate.

But having the necessary information up front is always preferable!

Thanks to Loco112 for the information!!! Instances like this only prove the importance of your effort to preserve the information you are saving.

Thanks and Best Regards to both of you!

Glenn Christensen