It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PRR Electro-Diesel of 1935
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:04 pm 

Hi
A little off topic as this loco was never built, but this group is very knowledgeable on electrics. Even if not built information shoulld be preserved.

In the mid 1930 Kiesle of PRR designed a dual energy loco with GG1 and P5a Modified, styling. It was designed with a diesel engine and also with electric running, a single pantograph. Was of B-B config. Was expected to run on electric and if required with in yards etc to swith over to diesel running.

All I have is one drawing which is not of good quality and I cannot read the dimensions etc, or the block with name of drawing etc.

Can anyone help with any info at all on this. Who was working with PRR on design work? etc There must be documentation etc on the project.
Thanks
Charles Harris

Post subject: Re: PRR Electro-Diesel of 1935
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:39 pm 

Hi,

Are you talking about the drawing from lanestrains.com?

If so, that was a concept drawing only for the proposed Pittsburgh electrification extension.

I have gotten some information from the PRR-FAX Yahoo group. My understanding was that it was a straight electric.

Based on the lanestrains drawing, it was to have been about 42' 4" long. I tried to scale the drawing into a CAD. Starting with a DD2 profile and shortening the shortening the cab to one door only was my guesstimate.

FWIW

Doug vV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:20 am 

Hi Doug

Yes, correct the drawing on LanesTrains.

How did you get on with the CAD drawing ? i would be interested to see.

What info do you manage to get from the PRR-FAX group.

Thanks and regards from downunder in New Zealand

Charles Harris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:38 am 

I believe I have the loco you're looking for. The drawing level of detail is similar to steam locomotive diagrams and there are dimensions on it, unfortunately illegible. It was a B-B, P5a modified style carbody, an in-line 8 cyl diesel in one end and electric gear in the other. Marked - lanestrains.com. Quick search of the website didn't turn up anything like it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:45 am 

Quote:
Hi Doug

Yes, correct the drawing on LanesTrains.

How did you get on with the CAD drawing ? i would be interested to see.

What info do you manage to get from the PRR-FAX group.

Thanks and regards from downunder in New Zealand

Charles Harris

Hi Charlie,

At one time I was going to build one of each type of PRR electric in HO scale. Those that were not available in brass and (some of those that were in brass) got CAD drawings made from several sources.

I took the P5a streamlined body and the DD2 plus the Lanes Trains drawing to make front and top views of the GG-Something. Since a A class steamer is an 0-4-0, I call it an AA2GG. I have side and end views. Without looking up the drawings, I do not think I ever made a top view.

I scaled the AA2GG drawing from Lanes Trains and scaled the lengths. The one dimension I was sure of was the 10' axle spacing for the trucks.

That said, I can export the drawing into a DXF file and send it to you. Send me your email.

The AA2GG from PRR-Fax was basically that it was to be the prime motive power for the Mountains. It was dropped when the expansion of the electrifyed territory was suspended.

That's about all I know about it. If you want to discuss this farther, just PM me and we can exchange info via email.

Doug vV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:23 am 

Doug and Charlie,

Can one of you post a picture of the drawing or the model?

Thanks!

Wesley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:48 pm 

I have seen (somewhere) the prospective power for the Harrisburg-Pittsburgh electrification. It is rated in terms of horsepower, but the horsepower overlays nicely on the assumption the locomotives are quill drive, like the DD2, with 428-A motors.

The two lower classes correspond to the DD2 and a "GG2" probably using the same axle running gear, with three axles in each articulated chassis instead of two and highly similar carbody styling (I base this on the V1 being quite similar, and greenlighted a year later). The intriguing thing is the eight-driver-axle locomotives, perhaps in pairs, for heavy service (probably pusher/snapper on the modified route with tunnel) which I think would have been 'back to back' 2-D-D-0s (although of course they could have been simple 'longer' versions of the standard).

As I think I noted elsewhere, this design corresponds to the 'tripower' locomotives used elsewhere (e.g. NYC and Lackawanna) where electrical operation on the main would be optimized (higher available starting TE and horsepower) but the unit could access sidings, facilities, spurs and even branches that were uneconomical to "wire" at commensurately lower speed. Note that the engine is configured for road service without end platforms as drawn, so not intended for switching or heavy transfer service. It reminds me of the performance capability of some of the contemporary British "electro-diesels" such as those built for the Southern, but used here in a different way. The design would be roughly contemporary with the oil-fired switcher for which the Franklin 'automatic cutoff' self-regulating valve gear idea (which evolved into type D) was likely developed -- see Steins' patent drawings.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:48 pm 

Hi,

When electrification was proposed in the 1970s or maybe early 1980's, The feds had a study on what it would take. There are a few reasonable drawings from the report showing an SD40-2 with the body sliced between the cab and the long hood for pantographs and straight electric operation to make it dual mode. The SD40-2 chassis that might work as a kit bash is available in both HO and N at Big Dogs(?) who make resin bodies.

I have a attached a reduced copy of the drawing by Lanes Trains GG-something.

Attachment:
Copy of GG_Something.jpg
Copy of GG_Something.jpg [ 221.63 KiB | Viewed 6446 times ]

----------------------------------------

The modified SD40-2 proposal from the post-PRR electrification study on extend the old PRR electrification to Pittsburgh in stages.:

Attachment:
sd40-2 4-28.JPG
sd40-2 4-28.JPG [ 91.51 KiB | Viewed 6443 times ]

Attachment:
sd40-2 4-29.jpeg
sd40-2 4-29.jpeg [ 195.83 KiB | Viewed 6443 times ]

Attachment:
sd40 c-1.jpeg
sd40 c-1.jpeg [ 169.64 KiB | Viewed 6443 times ]

Doug vV