It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Catskill Mountain Railroad News - 2014
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:10 pm 

Since I was a young lad exploring the abandoned O&W Right of way in Sullivan County, I have been a fan of the Old & Weary. While I missed being around at the same time by a year or so, I swear I could still hear the last diesel horns still echoing through the hills.......

It is my belief is that the CMRR and the U&D corridor is more than just an Ulster County issue. It is the last of the great Catskill Railroads still existing. This includes Sullivan, Ulster, Greene, and even Delaware County. The DURR in Delaware is land locked and only partially representative of a living history. That is, the ability to travel into the Catskills from the Hudson valley and by extension from NYC by rail into the Catskill Mountains.

This can and should be repaired.

The way for the O&W, Delaware & Ulster, Catskill Mountain Railway, and others to truly live on is via the Catskill Mountain Railroad! From Kingston! As time goes on this will be the only way to experience the way it was a hundred years the grandeur that was traveling to the mountains. That is, short of a time machine.

It is very possible to reconnect to the national grid and thereby does what Railroad do very well, that is Make Connections.

People need to understand that this bigger than a just "county" issue. It is an issue that affects the surrounding counties heritage as well. It is a regional issue, an issue that could have national and international impact for many.

It is a high tide issue that will mean a lot for heritage, more varied entertainment and even for the future of local short line rails..... To help this important piece of lives survive and prosper you can volunteer at the CMRR. Support the legal fund. Spread the word that events are still going on. Attend the events and invite your friends and family.

Thanks,
Steve Porter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:44 pm 

IS there any recourse through the Surface Transportation Board? The lease is not up for a couple years, so there is a little time to consider this.

The STB and predecessor ICC used to take commentary and statements from businesses that were dependent on the rail service in order to weigh in on the effects of abandonment. Suppliers and businesses that do realize sales from the CMRR could do the same.

I give our local county government credit for purchasing the former PRR Southwest Branch from Conrail in 1995 through their Regional Industrial Development Corporation (RIDC). The RIDC is a quazi-government agency of the County, but operates separately, isolated from the voters to some degree. The RIDC and the short-line SWP were OK with the Five Star Trail from Greensburg to Youngwood, PA, but stopped trail development any further south.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:59 pm 

I hate to be the cynical one here, but from the outside looking in, it seems like the writing is on the wall. I just hope that a contingency plan gets put in place for the equipment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:01 pm 

I know that hurricane damage/flooding took out a fair amount of track. That being said even if you add that back in the fact is the Catskill Mountain RR is well behind the "restore a mile per year" requirement. Yes I know they got that condition waived every year but most of those years was because of friendly politicians who looked the other way. The lease still required them to have 25 miles restored by the end of the lease. At a minimum an effort to renegotiate the lease when the political winds were changing would have been wise.

I think the people working on the line in the last 4-5 years have really made a positive difference, but you can't undo what happened (or more accurately what didn't happen) in the 18 years before that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:06 pm 

Landlord wants train group out. Group is defiant and sure of its success.
Group brings another car in.
Why am I getting a feeling of deja-vu?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:49 pm 

If I may interject my two cents:

Having volunteered time at the CMRR where I could (not a lot and nothing recent - but strictly of my own decision and not due to anyone or anything at CMRR); and knowing the some of gents that work it; I have nothing ill to say of them.

Also, I go on record here that this is my own opinion and I speak not for any organization.

That being said; it is obvious that the current political climate in Ulster County is vehemently anti-CMRR, if not outright anti-rail.

I do believe the lease is up in 2016 (correct me if my info is erroneous). As it is obvious the current politicos will continue to do everything they can to prevent future expansion. I noticed the most recent news article stated operations to remain between Phoenicia and Mount Tremper - nothing said about heading west to Pine Hill to possibly link up with DURR.

A lot of work would have to take place before such a goal could take place, but it should be recorded now in the next and future leases (if any); in the event CMRR can rehabilitate trackage west.

As such by this newspaper article; I would conclude this limits CMRR operations to the current operational segment and no more.

It is obvious the CMRR will not get a fair shake until the politicians currently seated in Ulster County fades away; but unfortunately, that might take decades, if it occurs at all. The writing is on the wall: what will have to be sacrificed to secure their next lease? And when that expires?

Therefore, I must wonder, despite the logistics in doing such, why shouldn't CMRR look into just pulling up stakes and head for a location a bit for more rail friendly, and telling Ulster County to kiss off. I know, I know; it's a heritage railroad, it's historic, a lot of effort has been put into it, and I don't want to see them shut or even relocate.

I don't want to see them lose the battle. But I can't help but ponder, the amount of funds and effort forced to have been expended thus far in legal fees would have revamped a great deal of track and/or equipment.

Ok, my own personal knowledge lacking, I do not know where to even begin to suggest where they could relocate to.

If you can't win the battle, then try to win the war. The war here is to survive. If not in Ulster County, then somewhere where a rail operation will be encouraged to thrive at their schedule and funding; not ham-strunged legally, or nickel and dimed at every turn.

And if all else fails, as Nova55 has stated; I sincerely hope a contingency plan is available for relocating the equipment on a moments notice. I don't feel like shaving with any of the equipment after it's been scrapped and melted into razor blades.. ;)

Who knows. Maybe in 20 years, after the hiking trail is built and it goes unkemp and under utilized, gets washed out and government funding cut to budgetary constraints; a new Ulster County political machine may request the CMRR to step back in; lay new rail and begin anew. Too much to hope for, but a hope none the less.

Phil

Visit my websites at:
http://www.trainweb.org/bedt/index.html

Post subject: CMRR Work Report - 8/15 to 8/17
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:08 pm 

Friday August 15th

On Friday at Mt. Tremper Engineer was John Prestopino, Car Attendant was Edwin Winstanley, Brakeman was Kathy Isabelle, and Conductor Neil Isabelle. Peter Fluchere was ticket agent.

On Friday in Kingston, crews worked on track both west of MP 4 and on the west approach to Trailway's crossing. Participating were: John Marino, Rick Desir, Carl Wick,and Mark Glaser.

Jim Bruck worked on the 2940 and John Prestopino worked in the yard.

Saturday August 16th

Saturday,filling of the "cattle pass'' @ MP 5.53 was completed and ties spiked on the new fill-in. Crew: Tom Whyte, John Patane, and Mark Glaser.

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=218100

Fred Rasmussen worked on the 2940.

On Saturday in Kingston Al Schoessow was engineer, John Marino was brakeman, Fred Rasmussen was flagger, and Walt Otto was conductor. Thom Johnson was ticket agent.

Earl Pardini and Joe Michaels and worked on the 35112 trucks in the yard. Al Johnson and Matt Gillis worked on the frame.

At Mt. Tremper, Dave Heick was engineer, Bill Kaba was brakeman, and Ray Farrell was conductor. Peter Fluchere was ticket agent. Same for the Twilight Limited.

George Peck and Art Vogel finished work on Campground Curve with Ryan Lennox.

Sunday August 17th

Sunday, filling continued east of MP 5.53 , ties were inserted and spiked up to last year's finish point for upgraded track. Working today were: John Patane, Al Schoessow, Bob Blake, John Marino, Marty Weir, Karl Wick,and Mark Glaser.

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=218101

At Mt. Tremper, John Prestopino was engineer, Neil Remsen was conductor, Tony Bocchino was brakeman. Peter Fluchere was ticket agent.

George Peck and Joe Michaels replaced two batteries in the 407.

Ryan Lennox and Tyler LaRose cleared the track from MP 6 to MP 12.5.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR

Post subject: CMRR Work Report - 8/22 to 8/24
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:15 pm 

Friday, August 22nd

We will be running at Mt. Tremper from 11 to 3pm.

Cornell Street yard will open at 10am for work on the coaches and the flat.

A track crew will be working Friday starting at 1pm at Cornell Street yard.

Saturday, August 23rd

We will be running at Mt. Tremper from 11 to 3pm and Kingston from 1 to 4pm.

Mark Glaser will lead a track crew working at Hurley Mountain Road starting at Cornell street at 9:30am.

There will be a coach/flat crew at Cornell Street starting at 10am.

In Phoenicia, George Peck will be doing trackwork starting at 9:30am near Farmer's crossing.

Sunday, August 24th

In Phoenicia, George Peck will be doing trackwork starting at 9:30am on the section from the section house to Farmer's crossing.

In Kingston a track/repair crew will be working out of Cornell Street yard at 9:30am.

There will be a crew working on the coaches flat at Cornell Street starting at 10am.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:49 am 

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/opinion/201 ... and-family

LETTER: Catskill Mountain Railroad is what attracted my Staten Island family

Posted: 08/22/14, 12:05 AM EDT

Dear Editor,

In the past two years, I have been watching the Catskill Mountain Railroad vs. Ulster County debate and I have to say that destroying the railroad for another trail is a foolish idea. (I have a mountain bicycle and use it to get between home and the College of Staten Island, a distance of 2.8 miles.)

Why does the Catskills region need another trail, when New York state has more than a dozen or more trailways in the region?

Also, why would I want to drive all the way from Staten Island to the Catskills just to bike on a trail when I could just go on the New York City Parks Greenbelt Trails here on Staten Island? It does not make any sense to destroy the only major tourist railroad in that region for another trail.

Also, if it was not for the Catskill Mountain Railroad and the hard-working men and women who try their best to operate and restore the railroad, we would have never known or visited the other local regions and its attractions, particularly The Wilklow Orchards in Lloyd, N.Y., where me and our family of four went pumpkin and apple picking, shopped around the areas of Woodstock, and visited the Walkway Over The Hudson in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.. All the locations that we visited were suggested by the employees of the Catskill Mountain Railroad, and it just comes to show how they, too, want to help the economy and other businesses in the Catskills region. We spent well over hundreds of dollars at all locations during our visit in the fall time and, if it was not for the Catskill Mountain Railroad, the cash would have never went to those areas we visited.

Our family is thinking about making the trek again to see the Catskill Mountain Railroad soon and possibly going back to such destinations we visited. However, I’m going to say this right now, if the railroad is ripped up we will never again visit that area and the region can pretty much kiss our tourist dollars goodbye.

Mark Lacari

Staten Island, N.Y.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:23 pm 

bedt14 wrote:
If I may interject my two cents:

Having volunteered time at the CMRR where I could (not a lot and nothing recent - but strictly of my own decision and not due to anyone or anything at CMRR); and knowing the some of gents that work it; I have nothing ill to say of them.

Also, I go on record here that this is my own opinion and I speak not for any organization.

That being said; it is obvious that the current political climate in Ulster County is vehemently anti-CMRR, if not outright anti-rail.

I do believe the lease is up in 2016 (correct me if my info is erroneous). As it is obvious the current politicos will continue to do everything they can to prevent future expansion. I noticed the most recent news article stated operations to remain between Phoenicia and Mount Tremper - nothing said about heading west to Pine Hill to possibly link up with DURR.

A lot of work would have to take place before such a goal could take place, but it should be recorded now in the next and future leases (if any); in the event CMRR can rehabilitate trackage west.

As such by this newspaper article; I would conclude this limits CMRR operations to the current operational segment and no more.

It is obvious the CMRR will not get a fair shake until the politicians currently seated in Ulster County fades away; but unfortunately, that might take decades, if it occurs at all. The writing is on the wall: what will have to be sacrificed to secure their next lease? And when that expires?

Therefore, I must wonder, despite the logistics in doing such, why shouldn't CMRR look into just pulling up stakes and head for a location a bit for more rail friendly, and telling Ulster County to kiss off. I know, I know; it's a heritage railroad, it's historic, a lot of effort has been put into it, and I don't want to see them shut or even relocate.

I don't want to see them lose the battle. But I can't help but ponder, the amount of funds and effort forced to have been expended thus far in legal fees would have revamped a great deal of track and/or equipment.

Ok, my own personal knowledge lacking, I do not know where to even begin to suggest where they could relocate to.

If you can't win the battle, then try to win the war. The war here is to survive. If not in Ulster County, then somewhere where a rail operation will be encouraged to thrive at their schedule and funding; not ham-strunged legally, or nickel and dimed at every turn.

And if all else fails, as Nova55 has stated; I sincerely hope a contingency plan is available for relocating the equipment on a moments notice. I don't feel like shaving with any of the equipment after it's been scrapped and melted into razor blades.. ;)

Who knows. Maybe in 20 years, after the hiking trail is built and it goes unkemp and under utilized, gets washed out and government funding cut to budgetary constraints; a new Ulster County political machine may request the CMRR to step back in; lay new rail and begin anew. Too much to hope for, but a hope none the less.

Phil

There is much that is sad and true here, but I would like to offer an alternative, a "Plan A" (the ability to relocate at a moment's notice that Phil--and I--advocate for is Plan B).

As the character in a Monty Python film says, "I'm not dead yet!" The legislature, despite the obvious wishes of the trail crowd and their own chief executive, decided to "hedge their bets." There were two addendums to this resolution; one was that the railroad has the lease to run out (about 22 months), and the other is that it will take a unanimous vote to actually call for removal of the track. I'm not a mind reader, but I do think you have a combination of

1. legislators not wanting to deal with breaking a lease,
2. some sympathy from some legislators for the railroad,
3. some skepticism from other legislators for the trail claims (not reported in any media I've seen, but mentioned by a railroad supporter who was there and spoke to the legislature, was a comment by a legislative member that his house was right next to a trail, and he didn't see an economic boom where he was--and he was one who voted for the trail)
4. concern by legislative members that this is a very contentious issue of high interest, and not wanting to offend people enough to lose the next election. (Yeah, I know, politics!)

In my opinion, this means the railroad might have a decent chance in spite of everything. They've got their lease, at least for 22 months, and I suspect a unanimous vote with about 24 legislative members is going to be hard to come by--PROVIDED that the railroad doesn't come out looking like a bunch of complete fools!

I would suggest, therefore, that the railroad really get busy on those track extensions. Get really aggressive, get the whole line open. I would not think it impossible, given that the railroad has gotten an apparent surge in interest from the younger railfans in the area, one of whom has been particularly energetic about clearing brush.

For inspiration, recall that Charlie Crocker and a bunch of Chinese guys managed to lay over 10 miles of new track in one day in 1869. Renovating roughly 30 miles in two years shouldn't be impossible. Just let the young guys go to it, get them qualified to run the maintenance equipment and other stuff (and don't hold them back, as some other places have done), and buy more ties instead of more rolling stock at this time.

You have a chance. Use it!

And even if you still have to relocate, you can bet there will be recriminations later over the removal of a total, truly functional railroad. That just might send some people to jail, if it comes to that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:26 pm 

Quote:
buy more ties instead of more rolling stock at this time.

The new coach is needed for the increased crowds due to Thomas, Polar, and Charlie Brown Great Pumpkin trains this fall. The crowds that show up on those weekends will be a huge positive economic impact on the local economy as a result of CMRR that will never happen again if the rails are removed. Hopefully those events will repeat next year.

Quote:
Renovating roughly 30 miles in two years shouldn't be impossible

Getting the entire track in service will never happen unless the Boiceville bridge is replaced, and the county has not allowed the funding to be released for the repair, which is short-sighted on their part since the bridge would be a useful component of a future trail. If not replaced, the trail stops there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:52 am 

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/opinion/201 ... -way-to-go

LETTER: Rail and trail is the way to go

Posted: 08/22/14, 12:02 AM EDT

Dear Editor,

I spend part of every summer near Phoenicia, in a house built by my father shortly before I was born, and in a area settled by my grandfather at the turn of the century. I am not a full-time resident, but I have a lifelong relationship with the area.

I object strongly to replacing the Catskill Mountain Railroad with a hiking trail.

Especially since we are experiencing a rapidly aging population, I find it amazing that Ulster County even considers replacing a fine tourist draw like this railroad with a walking trail.

Instead, why not construct a trail alongside the tracks?

Hikers -- a group to which I and many in my generation once belonged -- could still enjoy the scenery to which the rails give much broader access.

The railroad is a far more environmentally sensitive way than automobiles for people to see the Catskills.

Please leave the railroad tracks in place and allow this century-old tradition of rail service in the Catskills to flourish.

Merry Chellas

Phoenicia, N.Y.

Last edited by thebigham on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: CMRR Work Report - 8/19 to 8/24
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:33 am 

Tuesday August 19th

Coach 2962 was unloaded in Kingston.

Wednesday August 20th

Jim Bruck, John Prestopino and Fred Rasmussen worked in the Cornell Street yard on the new coach and the yard.

Friday August 22nd

On Friday at Mt. Tremper Engineer was John Prestopino, Ticket Agent was Edwin Winstanley, Brakeman was Kathy Isabelle, and Conductor Neil Isabelle.

On Friday in Kingston, a crew working at Cornell St. did track maintenance work. The group included-Al Schoessow, John Marino,Earl Pardini, John Patane, and Mark Glaser.

Saturday August 23rd

Saturday,track upgrades and roadbed work continued just east of MP 5.53. Todays crew-Tom Whyte, Marty Weir, Mark Glaser, and Ernie Klopping who did equipment repairs.

On Saturday in Kingston Al Schoessow was engineer, John Marino was brakeman, Tony Bocchino was conductor, Karen Vogel and Jan Harrison were car attendants. Pat Smalley was ticket agent.

Al Johnson and Harrison Balduf worked on flat 35112. George Balduf and George Bain worked on Coach 2962. Fred Rasmussen worked on seats. Neil Remsen installed one bolster pin and mounted 1 and 1/2 step boxes on the 2962.

At Mt. Tremper, Dave Heick was engineer, Bill Kaba was brakeman, and Dan Howard was conductor. Russ Hallock was ticket agent.

George Peck and Ryan Lennox worked at Farmer's Crossing.

Sunday August 24th

Roadbed work just east of MP 5.53 continued. Working were- Tom Whyte, John Marino, Marty Weir, Al Schoessow, Bob Blake,and Mark Glaser.

At Mt. Tremper, John Watson was engineer, Walt Otto was conductor, Tony Bocchino was brakeman. Peter Fluchere was ticket agent.

George Bain and Neil Remsen worked on Coach 2962 at Cornell Street.

Ryan Lennox cleared trees and culverts from Shokan to West Hurley.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:50 pm 

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/opinion/201 ... rist-train

Opinion

LETTER: No reason to visit Ulster County if not for tourist train

Posted: 08/27/14, 8:30 AM EDT |

Dear Editor,

I understand Ulster County wants to convert the old Delaware and Ulster railroad bed into a hiking trail, evicting the Catskill Mountain Railroad in the process. I think getting rid of the train would be bad for Ulster County.

I live near Albany. On Aug. 23, my wife and I came to Kingston to ride the Kingston City Limited train. Along the way, we stopped at several Ulster County businesses in Woodstock and Kingston. We spent a little over $100. This is not a huge sum, but if there was no train ride in Kingston, we would not have come to Ulster County and spent any money.

All of the businesses we visited are replicated closer to our home, except the train ride. We have restaurants, shops and even breweries much nearer to us than Ulster County. The railroad is the only attraction that we don’t have nearby. There also are plenty of hiking trails near us and around the state. Another hiking trail will not be anything special and certainly wouldn’t attract us to Ulster County.

I like trains, and I like to see railroad-related activities continue. But there also is an economic justification for Ulster County to keep the Catskill Mountain Railroad in operation.

I hope Ulster County leadership alters their plans to get rid of the trains.

Geoff Dunn

East Greenbush, N.Y.

Post subject: CMRR Volunteer Workdays - 8/28 to 9/1
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:53 pm 

Thursday, August 28th

Cornell Street yard will open at 10am. Projects include finishing seat installation in coach 2940 and installing brake piping and decking on flat 274. Also working on coach 2962.

Friday, August 29th

Cornell Street yard will open at 10am for work on the coaches and the flat. We will be installing more seats in the 2940. Earl could also use help on the brake piping and decking for the 35112/274. We also will be working on the new coach.

A track crew will be working Friday starting at 12pm at Cornell Street yard.

Saturday, August 30th

We will be running at Mt. Tremper from 11 to 3pm and Kingston from 1 to 4pm.

Mark Glaser will lead a track crew working at Hurley Mountain Road starting at Cornell street at 9:30am.

There will be a coach/flat crew at Cornell Street starting at 10am. Work will continue on the coaches and the flat.

In Phoenicia, George Peck will be doing trackwork starting at 9:30am near Farmer's crossing.

Sunday, August 31st

In Kingston a track/repair crew will be working out of Cornell Street yard at 9:30am.

There will be a crew finishing work on the coaches and finalizing decking and sides on the 35112/274.

Monday, September 1st

Cornell Street will open at 10am for final work on the coaches and the flat and assembling the train for the DOWT event.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next