It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NS F units
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:42 pm 

OR they could be a back-burner project to give NS locomotives to help the steam excursions and free up the freight locomotives that have been assigned to the program. They are already overhauling the former CDOT coaches they bought.

I honestly can't think of a reason for a non-museum buy a less-than-operable (or even complete) A-B-A set of F-units unless they intend to rebuild and use them. If the goal was parts, other locomotives with more compatible parts were already sitting at Altoona. It doesn't make sense to me to do anything other than repair and use them; the only real question is when will the experts at Juniata shops get around to them?

Restoration website

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:34 pm 

Bulby wrote:
OR they could be a back-burner project to give NS locomotives to help the steam excursions and free up the freight locomotives that have been assigned to the program. They are already overhauling the former CDOT coaches they bought.

I honestly can't think of a reason for a non-museum buy a less-than-operable (or even complete) A-B-A set of F-units unless they intend to rebuild and use them. If the goal was parts, other locomotives with more compatible parts were already sitting at Altoona. It doesn't make sense to me to do anything other than repair and use them; the only real question is when will the experts at Juniata shops get around to them?

I agree, I hope to one day see them running behind the steam locomotives!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:54 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
All I can say is that two loco groups with which I have been involved bought not only spare parts like crazy when they were being cleared out by British Rail, but one group even ended up buying a complete locomotive, at the time in not much better condition than the F's seen here in this thread, strictly as a source of spares. It was strongly emphasized at the time of acquisition that this loco was strictly spare parts for the one they got, "so don't get your hopes up, OK?"

Said loco ended up not only running, but put in a good amount of time in commercial lease service on mainline trains.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:41 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
All I can say is that two loco groups with which I have been involved bought not only spare parts like crazy when they were being cleared out by British Rail, but one group even ended up buying a complete locomotive, at the time in not much better condition than the F's seen here in this thread, strictly as a source of spares. It was strongly emphasized at the time of acquisition that this loco was strictly spare parts for the one they got, "so don't get your hopes up, OK?"

However, the parts locomotive you mention was internally the same. I fail to see logic in acquiring an A-B-A set of F-7s as parts sources for locomotives that are significantly closer to "F-38"'s than F-7's

Said loco ended up not only running, but put in a good amount of time in commercial lease service on mainline trains.

But, was that the original intention, or did someone have some convincing to do?

Restoration website

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:47 am 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
Still limited to 79 mph on NS' own tracks and probably 100/110 on the NEC. It's all in the gearing anyway. So, you get the capability of having an A-B-B-B-A set of power with one or two spare A units in case one of the current ones breaks down.

The NS F units have a top speed of 90 MPH.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:03 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Bulby wrote:

But, was that the original intention, or did someone have some convincing to do?

Well, considering that as of this typing, said loco has only one of two engines inside of it, while its second engine is currently running inside the first loco the group bought while they do some work on the engine that got swapped out......

It should be pointed out that a different group, the first group to be formed to save these locos, went after the one that inspection and records proved were in by far the best condition, then the fundraising was there to go after what was originally to be a "spares" loco, which mutated into buying the two best complete locos plus enough spares to equip two more. The second group, the one being referred to in this thread that bought a second loco for "spares," simply went after their "favorite" loco regardless of condition. Yet another individual bough a fifth such loco, the "crowd favorite," privately, and eventually sold it to the first group several years later after running into financial difficulties.

I would say that the "original intention" is completely "history" by now, as the original group that saved the loco and the "spares" loco now no longer exists, and both locos have ended up, through convoluted paths, under the aegis of a private owner in the fashion of Bennett Levin. A comparable analogy would be having a set of Amtrak-certified E8s restored in PRR/UP/whatever colors, and a second pair running around leased to the Marlboro Train, the Coors Light Silver Bullet Train, or a Vegas Gamblers Express earning the income to keep the restored units intact.....