It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: End of the Turtle Creek Industrial Railroad
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:09 pm 

Seems time has finally caught up with the ex-PRR Turtle Creek Branch from Export to Tafford, PA. Now owned and operated by Dura-Bond Industries for sometime, and the only business on the 9.5 mile branchline, it has been severed from the NS Pittsburgh Line, and recent Google Maps photos show it cut to a roughly 1 mile stretch around the plant proper. Their former PRR N5 has been repainted, and is now used as a track buffer at the end of their line in Export, and SW1 #462 is still visible in some photos as well as their SW9. Their GE 44 tonner, hasn't been seen for sometime.

My photo of SW1 #469 in July 2013.

Post subject: Re: End of the Turtle Creek Industrial Railroad
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:43 am 

I think this loco is partially visible from US 22 going west from Blairsville. I drive out that way from time to time and have spotted the greed SW sitting at an industrial plant, but have never got off 22 and wound around the back roads down to see it up close.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:14 pm 

The SW1 was moved off property to another Dura-Bond operation in the area. It moved out by rail in August 2014, before they pulled it all. The other locomotive, an NW2, still sits in place, though It may have been scrapped since the last time I have been down to view it, two years ago.

The 44 Tonner is where the SW1 is now, Duquesne I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:20 pm 

Did this line run thru Monroeville by the CAT dealership? That track was pulled up a couple years ago. There used to be a Gradall mounted on a flatcar that was behind the Fox Pizza distribution center.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:27 am 

I grew up in Trafford and Murrysville, walked those tracks quite a bit at both ends. It used to be a fairly busy branch back then, being serviced several times a week as I recall. I left the area in the mid 1970's and the economic backbone of Western PA was beginning to crumble then. I've been back there a few times since, things have changed quite a bit, most not for the better I'm afraid.