It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: land owners of abandoned trackage
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:24 pm 

I only knew about the Sullivan to Bement to Decatur track as this was what was in operation in 1966. I could ride my bike over to the track down Hall rd. The coal mine in Lovington had closed years before and the grain silo's in Cushman were being torn down and the only industries I knew of was in Sullivan were the Wabash ( N&W) tied into the C&EI or by this time I think the Missouri Pacific. I think it was some kind of fertilizer plant. I thought back then it was along way to go from Decatur to get there when the C&EI trackage was right there. I don't know what else was on the line north of Lovington as this was the small world of a ten year old and that was as far as I could ride a bike. I had a great uncle who worked for the Wabash in Decatur so I got see all of the facilities in the 1960's. He worked in the back shop which is still standing. At that time the N&W was on the East end of the yard along with ADM , Stayley's in the middle with the viaduct going over and the UP on the west end. Decatur was the main repair facility for the Wabash locomotives and car shop. hocarsandtrains. James