It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B&O 4500 News?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:02 pm 

A Facebook post on the B&O RR Museum includes this teaser:

Quote:
“But that’s not all — the Mikado doesn’t just shine with historical importance. It undergoes a magical transformation during the holiday season, becoming the beloved Polar Express! Decked out in festive decorations and brimming with seasonal cheer, the Mikado comes alive to whisk passengers away on a magical journey to the North Pole.

“Join us next December to climb aboard the B&O No. 4500 “Mikado”! Dates announced soon!“

Optional FB link to the full post with pictures. Click here.

Is this a new and improved static exhibit or a full restoration of B&O 4500?

Wesley

Post subject: Re: B&O 4500 News?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:43 am 

Seems to be written by a PR person with no idea how RR equipment is used.

"Join us next December to climb aboard the B&O No. 4500."

Whoever wrote that did not understand people ride behind a steam locomotive, not on it.

At least the rider who gets the head brakeman's seat also gets a window on a B&O freight engine.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:44 pm 

It’s in a series of what I guess is a special set of highlights on the collection: 4500 being the one for December 2024.

https://www.borail.org/events/unlocked- ... 8h48F8__0o

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:21 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The "special events" being highlighted on Facebook by the Museum consist mostly of unlocking, and allowing entry to, individual pieces that are normally locked off-limits to patrons/visitors. Like most such museums, most of the cars and locos are sealed away from interior/cab inspection by visitors, because to open them requires staff to monitor visitors, answer questions ("why don't they restore this and run it on the main line???") and assure no vandalism or theft occurs. Many larger museums offer at least one special exhibit open per weekend or special event, depending on volunteer availability--I've seen this at IRM, MOT Kirkwood, Green Bay, etc. The Arizona Railway Museum, by contrast, offers at least one full Open House a year, with every possible exhibit manned and open to visitors that day along with free admission (and plenty of donation boxes).

B&O 4500 is one of the ones being promised for 2024. Based on past such openings at the B&O Museum I expect nothing more than access to the cab of the loco back in the Back Shop--that is indeed "climbing aboard." To extrapolate a possible restoration to operation for the 4500, or any other loco there, from that announcement is wishful (delusional?) thinking of the highest order.

This is not to say that restoration of the 2-8-2 4500 or 4-6-2 5300 to operation with an eye towards "B&O 200" in 2027-28 wouldn't be a laudable goal or wish, but I'm not optimistic................

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:03 pm 

Sorry to say, no real change. I just spent several days manning a model train layout set up next to the Mike in the space normally occupied by C&O 490. The Hudson and other equipment in the first row of track in the north car shop are moved outside for the Polar Express event.

When we first set up, the day after the last PE event, there was a row of large four foot high speakers set up along side the north side of the Mike. A magnetic "Polar Express" is over the B&O on the tender. As explained to me by the show's producer when he was directing recovery of their show equipment, they have smoke generators in the smoke box, and under the locomotive. The crowd comes in from the "back" (Arlington street) entrance and are treated to a show of the boy running up to the cab along the top of the speakers with the conductor coming out of 4500's cab. Given the lighting, the sheer size of the speakers, I would say the place must really come alive. I would also guess a lot of rust has been vibrated off the Mike.

The guests then go out to get on the train which makes the 1st mile run. Upon return, the roundhouse becomes the north pole. It is, IMHO, a neat and inventive use of the facilities. The EA is spotted behind 4500, so the visitors get a great view of this show piece of art deco all spiffed up from its recent cosmetic restoration.

Apparently the show is doing well with the last week of shows being sold out (and the tickets aren't all that cheap!).

Bob

PS: I also chatted with one of the operations guys involved with the move of AFT #1. He spent a couple of weeks around and under the locomotive working all of the grease fittings, installed 16 gauge bars under the locomotive and the crew replaced 65 ties along the route back to the restoration center. He estimated the locomotive had sunk 5-8 inches into the dirt. One rail broke during the pull out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:22 am 

Bob,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. The show sounds worth seeing. Too bad grandchildren (excuses) are now young adults.

Wesley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:45 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
More info on the B&O Museum's "Unlocked" program, with schedule:

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... irst-time/