It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: So Who Should Preserve an Amtrak AEM-7?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:24 pm 

It has been thoroughly speculated elsewhere about these two being "crash test dummies."

People in a much better position to know have stated that no only is there no need or use for crash data from a now-obsolete model, such data has already been unwittingly provided by "sacrificial lambs" 900 and 903 at Chase, Md. in 1987.

Thus, it is exceedingly unlikely that these will be used in crash tests of any sort. There are all kinds of more common (and thus relevant) disused locomotives lying about MUCH closer to Pueblo if such tests are needed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:26 pm 

Dave wrote:
Are those RV package air conditioners over the cab roofs? Best we could come up with?

Provided that said identification is even accurate:
Is there any proof that "off the shelf" technology already readily available and serviceable was/is somehow inferior to something custom-built at greater expense?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:19 pm 

If I'm not mistaken, isn't there an electric test loop there? Could this be as simple as a locomotive(s) to run circles with cars testing new trucks, draft gear, etc?

Cheaper and better use of tax money to buy used then fancy new? A pair for spares, perhaps two of the better ones of the lot?

Which would suggest in a few years, they could become available...

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:01 pm 

thanks so much for the correction, gentlemen. I am very glad I was wrong (about no AEM-7s being preserved). And thank you very much, Alex, for telling me about the RR Museum of Pennsylvania, where just what I had suggested has already been done. That is wonderful! Congratulations to the RRMPA for that!

Alex Mitchell --
I am very relieved that the silly rumor -- that those two AEM-7s bound for the TTC at Pueblo were going be to used as "crash test dummies" -- has been thoroughly debunked. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:39 pm 

MargaretSPfan wrote:
I am very relieved that the silly rumor -- that those two AEM-7s bound for the TTC at Pueblo were going be to used as "crash test dummies" -- has been thoroughly debunked.

Technically, we have not disproven the rumors, only made the case that there is no need for crash test data from an AEM7. They could still smash up one or both of them, but that would be an exceedingly foolhardy step if it happens.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:52 pm 

See the other AEM7 thread. Buslist was the credible source I was referring to, and he has the story right, better than I expressed it. No 'impact testing' anticipated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9