It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Colorado Springs Streetcar Acquisitions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:24 am 

In an article about the Springs street car group's proposed downtown real estate acquisition Trains news wire has the following quote "The foundation continues to acquire streetcars. The transit agency in Denver, recently gave the group six historic vehicles,” Lippincott says.

Does anyone know what these 6 vehicles are?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Colorado Springs Streetcar Acquisitions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:57 pm 

From the July 2013 "Colorado Time Table"

RTD donates equipment collection to PPHSRF
By Jason Midyette

On April 17 (2013), the Regional Transportation District (RTD) announced that it would donate the entity’s historic equipment collection to the Pikes Peak Historical Street Railway Foundation (PPHSRF) in Colorado Springs. The seven piece collection includes the bodies of former Denver Tramway streetcars 107 and 329, Denver Tramways Trolley Busses 519 and 553 (a Trolley Bus is a rubber tired bus that gets its power from the overhead lines once used to power rail based street cars, they were used in Denver from 1940 to 1955), a British double decker bus and two Mack diesel busses.
The equipment has been owned by RTD for several decades and has never seen any real display or use. In 2012, RTD concluded that they had no long term plan to restore or operate the collection, nor was there any RTD owned land on which to display it. In August of 2012, RTD staff recommended to the RTD Board that the collection be donated to the PPHSRF. The Board decided to seek information on any and all groups that might be interested in the collection and a “Request for Expression of Interest and Information” was released in September of 2012. The PPHSRF was the only respondent to the request.
The PPHSRF is working to restore trolley service to downtown Colorado Springs. The group has restored several pieces of equipment from the Colorado Springs & Interurban as well as other Colorado transit lines. Their collection is displayed in the former Rock Island Roswell roundhouse on the north side of Colorado Springs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:10 pm 

The British Double Decker is of course safe with me in the silo along with Car 57 and the Caboose.....The streetcar association donated it to me as the appropriate person to restore a British bus, and as i had ridden on it as a kid they felt that it was in the buses best interests that it come to me. My wife however despises it even more than 57 and the caboose but however is happy that now they are all together in the ICBM silo so the Russian can obliterate everything at once and she doesn't have to spend out on a can of gas.
The bus album is here and includes pictures of the trams and trolleys in Denver.
http://car57.zenfolio.com/p151859321

Mike Pannell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:15 am 

car57 wrote:
The bus album is here and includes pictures of the trams and trolleys in Denver.
http://car57.zenfolio.com/p151859321

Thanks for posting the link to the photo album! I hadn't known about car 329's existence; I wonder when the RTD acquired it. The car listed in the press release as 107 is, I believe, on my list of preserved cars as 117. If I'm correct it's the car that was formerly located at the light rail stop at I-25 & Broadway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:37 pm 

Another PCC saved by the Colorado Springs group, scroll to page 4. I had missed this. They now have cars from 3 cities, all running on CTA trucks?

http://www.coloradospringstrolleys.com/ ... dition.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:39 pm 

Frank, note also the interesting discussion of trucks for the car bodies.