It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Film crewman killed by train
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:11 am 

Ron Travis wrote:

I did notice that when this accident was first reported, there was a lot of ambiguity and conflicting information regarding the question of whether the film crew had permission. At one point, CSX refused to say that the film crew did not have their permission. Therefore, I see no way to jump to any conclusions based on what we know of normal, official railroad company practice.

If I was handling this from the CSX end, I wouldn't answer that question immediately either... not until I had a chance to investigate, send someone out in the field to interview the employees most likely to have had contact with representatives of the film crew, and make sure someone didn't stupidly say, "It's OK, just be careful."

You can't take the fact that CSX didn't immediately answer as an indication of guilt, and you certainly can't take the typical confused reporting by the media as an indication of anything.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:29 am 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Ron Travis wrote:

I did notice that when this accident was first reported, there was a lot of ambiguity and conflicting information regarding the question of whether the film crew had permission. At one point, CSX refused to say that the film crew did not have their permission. Therefore, I see no way to jump to any conclusions based on what we know of normal, official railroad company practice.

If I was handling this from the CSX end, I wouldn't answer that question immediately either... not until I had a chance to investigate, send someone out in the field to interview the employees most likely to have had contact with representatives of the film crew, and make sure someone didn't stupidly say, "It's OK, just be careful."

You can't take the fact that CSX didn't immediately answer as an indication of guilt, and you certainly can't take the typical confused reporting by the media as an indication of anything.

I am not taking it as an indication of guilt. I see it as just one of several details that suggest that there is far more to this story than what we know so far. Anyone is of course free to construct a series of hypothetical explanations that will dismiss these questionable details one by one; and then jump to the conclusion about how the filming company ended up on the trestle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:32 am 

A Train, a Narrow Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:21 pm 

Excellent quote from the above article:

Quote:
“This was no accident,” says Ray Brown, president of the Motion Picture Studio Mechanics union local 479 in Atlanta and a Jones colleague, suggesting the incident was avoidable. “When I have done train work or around trains for smaller productions up to major blockbusters, there are always several railroad personnel there with their hard hats, glasses and radios, and I can’t imagine a more structured safety protocol even beyond airlines than the rail system.”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:38 pm 

> It was reported that CSX said that prior to the accident, they knew
> the film company was out there. I wonder how they would have known that.

Engineers on the two trains would certainly have observed the crew on Rayonier property, and taken the usual cell-phone CYA shots, etc. and reported on the radio. (It is not CSX's problem whether the film company had permission from Rayonier or not...)

> ... If CSX had stated that they had not given permission, why
> would the sheriff still be trying to figure out if permission was given?

Perhaps because the file-company principals have lied through their teeth about having it? And it's difficult to prove a negative?

I cannot imagine a film company not signing proper releases and providing liability coverage. I ran a favorite 'home location' for shooting commercials for years, and I can vouch for the facts (1) if a film company thinks they can get away with something, they will try; and (2) you need to have proper agreement in writing to safeguard your interests, in such a framework.

I do know that in the 1970s, if you wanted to take pictures of the service tracks at 30th Street, Philadelphia, you needed a signed release from the Real Estate department; if you wanted to photograph inside a NJ Transit facility, you needed to register with them (the stated reason being rather interesting: there were photographers from 'private investigation' firms trying to catch people doing things they oughtn't... These are the kind of 'high-profile' location where one employee might not be able to bend the rules for a photographer. I simply can't imagine why there would be any question about what's required for a professional shoot... or where the truth in this particular episode lies, if you'll pardon punning sarcasm against those people.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:51 pm 

Jim Baker wrote:
How about this scenario? The news reports say that Rayonier had given the film crew permission to be on their property. I'm guessing that both sides of the ROW are Rayonier's. Maybe the film people weren't aware that the CSX ROW is not part of Rayonier's property, so they assume they have permission to be on the ROW. Maybe it was a Rayonier guy said something like, "There's usually just two trains come by, if another one comes, you'll hear the 'whistle'."
Earlier reports said that the CSX Right of Way was on and part of Rayonier's property, and that CSX had Rayonier's permission to have their track and trains on it. If Rayonier also gave the film company permission to be on their property, that could be like a railroad's "Lap Order", when 2 conflicting trains are both given rights to use the same track without protecting against each other.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:18 pm 

Jim,

That is an interesting point that could explain a misunderstanding about the scope of permission from Rayonier and the earlier rather vague desciption of permission to film in "that general area," which was used to imply that the filming company did have permission to be where they were.

Here is another hypothetical explanation for what has happened so far:

The film company approached Rayonier and explained their desire to use their land for access to the trestle which they want to use for filming, and Rayonier said yes. Rayonier told the film company that they would have to get separate permission from CSX to be on the trestle. Rayonier gave the film company a specific contact or department for CSX.

Then the film company, via email, asked for permission from CSX to work on the trestle, and CSX said no. Then the film company told Rayonier that the CSX contact has turned them down, and wanted to know if Rayonier could recommend some other contact or department within CSX.

Rayonier suggested another CSX contact which the film company pursued by telephone. That contact said he did not see any problem with it, but said maybe they should clear it with somebody else at CSX just to be sure.

The film company then rationalized that they had CSX permission, and did not want to go further to risk a reversal of permission. So they gambled on just going for it. Perhaps the film company downplayed their intended activity on the trestle in the phone conversation where they got informal permission.

Now, after the accident, CSX announces that the film company did not have permission, citing their email in which they denied permission.

And after the accident, the film company tells their side of the story to the sheriff about the phone permission .

So the delay in the sheriff concluding the investigation is the time it is taking to take depositions and seek phone records that would verify the informal permission granted by CSX.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:40 pm 

What has been missing from this discussion is a fact that was reported in "Variety." The accident did not happen while a shoot was in progress. This was a test to confirm camera locations would work properly and that lighting was satisfactory. The film crew sneaked onto the location to make their tests. They probably assumed that they could do this quickly without any trouble from trains.

I suspect the assistant producer on the shoot had a preliminary discussion with CSX on a "I'll get back to you basis" and never made arrangements for the test. Or he assumed incorrectly that Rayoneer owned the track rather than CSX.

I have worked my share of TV shoots. Things can get pretty hectic on the set.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:45 pm 

Ron,
I can see the situation laid out as you did happening exactly in that way.

The bottom line is that the crew had to have known something was amiss. I've been in on shoots for PBS and the History Channel over the years and we weren't anywhere near RR tracks or any public road, and they always had a medic on set even then, for just people standing around.
If I'd shown up for a shoot along an active rail line without a medic around, I'd have for sure known something was wrong, even if I didn't already know enough about RR operations to wonder where the guys in the reflective vests, hardhats and radios were...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:25 pm 

The Hollywood Reporter has published a long article that pieces together how Sarah Jones was killed:
A Train, a Narrow Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life (2:21 PM PST 3/4/2014 by Scott Johnson )

Here's an excerpt -- please read the full article before commenting:

Quote:
As the day wore on, director Randall Miller moved the shoot from the land beside the river onto the narrow gridwork of the trestle itself, which extends over the edge of the Altamaha. The trestle’s wood and metal bottom was covered with pebbles and had gaping holes in some places. The blustery wind rang through the girders, making it hard to stay steady, says [Joyce Gilliard, a 42-year-old hairstylist working on the film].

From shore, several dozen yards away, a voice shouted to the crew that in the event a train appeared, everyone would have 60 seconds to clear the tracks. “Everybody on the crew was tripping over that,” says Gilliard. “A minute? Are you serious?” By now, she and two other crewmembers were nervous enough that before shooting, they gathered in an informal prayer circle. “Lord, please protect us on these tracks,” murmured Gilliard. “Surround us with your angels and help us, Lord.”

While Gilliard prayed, Jones helped load film, monitor the cameras and transport gear. A fresh-faced South Carolinian with a passion for travel and books, Jones wasn’t really the type to fret much. The crew was filming a dream sequence, and they had placed a twin-size metal-framed bed and mattress in the middle of the tracks. Then, Gilliard looked up and saw a light in the distance, followed by the immense howl of a locomotive. It was a train — and it was hurtling toward them.

Last edited by Chris Webster on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:39 pm 

A great irony here is that from the sat photos, it looks like riverbank silt under where they were when the train came. I'm sure it was quite a hop to that level from where they were, but the jump probably would have been less likely to have caused injuries than taking chances with the train.
That said, as far as the liability of people in charge, that's a moot point. It's also not human nature to jump from any distance.
I only bring it up because when I was a kid and far less ware of such things, this exact thing happened to me. A pal of mine and I were crossing a bridge over a river in Florida, saw the train coming and immediately joined the birds. We didn't even look to see if there was water under us or not, realizing anything would be better than facing the train on that narrow concrete deck bridge. My feet went about 2 feet into the silt along the bank, but I walked away with only my pride harmed and some seriously sand-coated shoes which incurred the wrath of my Mother afterward (never told her about the train, even to this day)...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:26 pm 

From news photos included with some of the linked articles, it seems to be a drawbridge. Since there's no tale of the bridge tender noticing or complaining, could the bridge be operated by remote control, without the occupants and bed being noticed?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:15 pm 

33 CFR 117.351 wrote:
Altamaha River.

(a) The draws of all bridges, except the Seaboard System Railroad bridge, mile 59.4 at Doctortown, shall open on signal if at least 24 hours notice is given.

(b) The draw of the Seaboard System Railroad bridge, mile 59.4 at Doctortown, shall open on signal if at least seven days notice is given.

I strongly suspect that there is no assigned bridge tender. Further a flyover on Google or Bing Maps will show that the draw span is over what appears to be heavy silt and the riverbank rather than a navigable channel.

GME

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:30 pm 

Did anyone notice in the pictures the silted in area under the draw bridge? I'd bet big money that the draw hasn't moved in at least 20 years. The drop to the water is a good 20 feet....combined with all that dry, silted area.....nobody would have jumped.
However, in the other picture....they show the walkway...people who kept their heads and didn't panic probably would have stepped over there and hung on to the girders....not the best place to be, but they would have cleared and been reasonably safe in that emergency....and yes, I do know exactly what its like to be that close to a train going 60mph.....not a fun experience, back when I was a very young and very stupid kid.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:06 pm 

eze240 wrote:
DiThe drop to the water is a good 20 feet....combined with all that dry, silted area.....nobody would have jumped.
I did when faced with the same scenario. And it was higher than that.
Mind you, I was about 13-14 at the time, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next