It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Museum life memberships
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:02 pm 

Just curious as to the requirements for a life membership at railroad museums. If your organization has such a membership available, please list the requirements or fee.

Thanks,

Jim Herron

Post subject: Re: Museum life memberships
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:26 pm 

Hi Jim,

Our small Museum charges a flat $500 regardless of the age of the member.

We have previously discussed charging more for younger members, less for those over 65 years of age, etc., but came to no consensus. So, life membership in the Minnesota Streetcar Museum remains $500.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:06 pm 

$750, no other requirements and no special benefits.

Wesley
National Capital Trolley Museum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:12 pm 

Lifetime Membership in the ALCO Historical & Technical Society is a one time donation of $1000 or more, donation of an ALCO artifact with a value exceeding $1000, or donated service above same amount, with approval of the Membership Committee chair and the Board of Directors. We have had more people donate cash then services, but both have helped us out in the past, and can be a real shot in the arm at times.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:02 pm 

$1000 will get you a Life Membership at the Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum, regardless of age. You get all the bene's of Gold membership (unlimited, within reason, guests on trolley rides, 10% discount in the shop, etc.) plus you get a a free meal (TANSTAAFL) at Member's Day (everyone else pays enough to cover costs for Member's Day).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:17 pm 

There are Museums that once offered life memberships that no long do so.

The one reason that organizations have offered life memberships is to get a "big" chunk of money to meet current needs early in the life of the organization. Orange Empire once had life memberships that were 20-times the annual dues.

I recall that the NMRA would quote an amount for life membership once you told then your current age. I believe that the NMRA made use of life-expectancy tables to develop a quote.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:24 pm 

Saw a interesting item in the NMRA National Minutes recently about the problem of Life Members who had "gone away mad" but were still counted on the rolls, this caused problems with major votes that required a minimum percentage of the members of a unit to vote to make the vote valid.

-Hudson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:22 am 

In our Society, Life Membership is only conferred on members who have provided exceptional service over many years.
There are only a certain number (I think 9) allowed by the Constitution and that quota has been filled for some years, so we have to wait for a lifer to fall off the perch before anyone else gets a Guernsey.
You certainly can't buy one!
Cheers, Bob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:14 am 

Quote:
In our Society, Life Membership is only conferred on members who have provided exceptional service over many years.

At National Capital, Life membership can be purchased. The board of trustees has also granted Honorary membership (meaning dues-free) in recognition of special service, etc. In 50 years there have been only two or three Honorary members.

Wesley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:38 am 

At my group, life membership status is only given by motion of the Board in recognition of a substantial donation.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:11 pm 

Some organizations, like the Train Collectors Association and the Electric Railroaders' Association thought that a payment of 20 times the annual dues would be the price of a Life Membership. The payment could be used to buy from an insured bank a 5% long term Certificate of Deposit that paid annual interest equal to the annual dues at that time, and when the member finally died, the certificate itself could be spent.
2 problems, the fixed interest rate doesn't help with future dues increases, and the payment may be treated and spent like current income.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:08 pm 

Hi
I think one of the issues buried in a life time membership is where does the group itself see its future and how does it see it member’s long term relationship with lifetime members.

A friend of mine joined a museum when their annual membership was $346. In the years since many things have changed including the costs of life memberships and the management. Today my friend discusses with me the lack of communication from the museum. As time has elapsed and changes have come it appears to the life time member that I talk to that the current management does not see the old life time members as a resource.

If someone has a lifetime membership and a true lifetime interest then the lifetime membership may be only a way they choose to show their support. In many cases I know of lifetime members made other donations. The lifetime member may actually not only show others that people have more then a passing fad interest in the organization but also tell you who anticipates supporting your group for a long time which could go further than just a membership. There are times when I think the bean counters need to look at things from a position of more than profit or losses. While a lifetime membership may make sense for a young person to acquire, it also tells people in and out of the organization of long term interest in its success. Many members will give additional donations if asked the right way and if the donations are managed properly.

Robby Peartree

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:43 am 

I purchased a life membership in my college alumni association when I graduated nearly 50 years ago. Over the years I have received two requests to "upgrade" my life membership by sending in a single voluntary payment (most likely to cover increases in costs - they do send a good magazine).

I suppose a museum could do something similar (offer a bunch of additional inexpensive benefits as an optional higher level of life membership) if costs increased in the future.