It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EDITING a Post or QUOTING a Post Guide
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:58 am 

I saw that one poster was trying to figure out how to edit his post. And I do see here and there where posters quote someone but it doesn't come out reading how it was implied.

So, here is a quick guide on how to perform both functions.

EDITING A POST

To edit your own post, simply find the EDIT tab near the bottom right corner of your own post. Marked here with a red circle.

Once the EDIT tab has been selected, the screen will change to appear much like when you make an initial post here on the board. In this box, you can edit your spelling or add more thoughts, whatever you may be doing within the edit function. Once you are finished, select the SUBMIT tab. (circled in red)

QUOTING ANOTHER MEMBER'S POST

Maybe you're reading another member's post and find something worth quoting and discussing further. Find the QUOTE tab near the bottom right hand corner, circled here in red.

Once the quote tab has been selected, the screen will appear much like when making an initial post on the board.

You can RIGHT CLICK and highlight any areas of that member's post you do not want to quote and delete it.
(The grey area I highlighted in this quote would actually be dark blue, but with the Snipping Tool it shows up grey)

In this case I did not want to quote everything from this member in his post.

As you can see from this picture, I deleted everything from that member's post except the link which I wanted to discuss. Take note of the red circles showing the member's original QUOTE markings. If these are not intact as shown, the quote will not appear correctly when you select the SUBMIT tab.

Hopefully, some members find this useful.

Last edited by Jeff Lisowski on Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: EDITING a Post or QUOTING a Post Guide
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:26 pm 

Using the "Preview" button before using the "Submit" button can prevent much embarrassment.

-Hudson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:52 pm 

Thank you, Jeff.

As an aside -- I have discovered that at least one tracker-blocking utility (perhaps NoScript) appears to randomly make the 'edit' button disappear from the post interface. It may be that if specific control or metadata channels are blocked, the main board software can no longer recognize that my posts are 'my own' and, as would be appropriate otherwise, does not give me the button to edit them... probably a better security approach then just graying out the control, but confusing for a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:00 pm 

I should add that I'm running some very different version of the presentation interface (in Firefox under OS X Mavericks) that doesn't look remotely like what Jeff has. I can't figure out how to paste in a screenshot that isn't Web hosted, so here is the URL to the post as I'm seeing it.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=36376#preview

If anyone knows how to get what Jeff has as an interface -- tell me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:45 pm 

I hosted the screen shot images on a private album on Facebook and then hyper-linked them here by pasting the image URL and then adding the [ img ] tag at the beginning of the link and the [/ img ] tage at the end of the link.

You may be running a different choice of formats available here on RYPN. I've never viewed RYPN in anything other than Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.

You can attach an image to the bottom of your post as follows;

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:59 pm 

CHANGING BOARD FORMAT

I believe that bo2Soft is the default board format.

Select the USER CONTROL PANEL tab

Select the BOARD PREFERENCES tab

One the Board Preferences tab is selected you can find the MY BOARD STYLE tab and select from the drop down menu and choose a different format to view the board in. Once you find one that you like, select SUBMIT.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:52 pm 

That bo2soft was the secret setting -- I'd been in 'afterburner' which does not appear to have proper 'edit' buttons implemented in the UI...

Now that I have the controls... THIS is what one of my posts looked like. Is there a way to get to an edit button from this format?

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 11.55.14 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 11.55.14 AM.jpg [ 118.94 KiB | Viewed 7508 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:00 pm 

Overmod wrote:
That bo2soft was the secret setting -- I'd been in 'afterburner' which does not appear to have proper 'edit' buttons implemented in the UI...

Now that I have the controls... THIS is what one of my posts looked like. Is there a way to get to an edit button from this format?

Looks like Afterburner has the EDIT tab at the top of the page.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:31 pm 

Jeff -- I note that some posts have the quotes render 'more correctly' (with the margins narrower and a colored background), apparently independently of the chosen display scheme.

Is there a particular way to use BBcode, or some other method than the [quote][/quote] tags, that will reliably produce clearly-quoted quotes?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:41 pm 

Good question, that I dont have the answer to.

Paging the IT department.