It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Iowa Pacific-San Luis & Rio Grande (SLRG) Passenger Cars
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:49 pm 

The Saratoga North Creek Bi-levels that were sitting at the Saratoga NY station were scrapped this week. This was the set that had never seen service under Iowa Pacific.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:58 pm 

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here is a full list of coaches the RBMN acquired:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=617A9A67

Along with their descriptions:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=61782E1F

Of note is that soon-to-be RBMN 450 has HEP onboard, and can apparently power a whole train.

Now, I have another question that isn’t RBMN related. Does anyone know what happened to RDG #5, named retroactively the Olympic? Last I heard there was a bid in for $25,000. I hope it went to a good home.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:58 pm 

"Now, I have another question that isn’t RBMN related. Does anyone know what happened to RDG #5, named retroactively the "Olympic"? Last I heard there was a bid in for $25,000. I hope it went to a good home."

Word on the street has it that the buyer had no competing bids, but that he may not have been able to come up with the $$ to pay for the car. So it may be still be available for sale. Make an offer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:53 pm 

Craig Sanders photographed two IP cars on the back of NS train 14N in Indiana on Sunday headed for Conway. Last car on the train was former SR/NS open obs car Lookout Mountain. Link:

https://akronrrclub.wordpress.com/2021/ ... s-central/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:07 pm 

FYI as to the 2nd post above, RDG 5 is a Crusader Obesrvation car (Budd 1937). Round end, no end door. Sister car to RDG 1 at RRMPA; Crusader had 2 obs cars, one at each end. Easier than wyeing the train in the available time.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:20 am 

MRLX 800880 to Coastal Rail, LLC (Cape Cod Central) this week along with several other 9.28 listings on the STB Recordations page.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:56 pm 

Pullman "Palm Lane" is newly listed up for auction on Ozark Mountain:

https://ozarkmountainrailcar.com/railEquipment.php?itemId=3300&status=new

This car was part of the Central New York Chapter NRHS collection and was on display at the New York State Fairgrounds before being swapped for a different car with Iowa Pacific. I had thought ownership had stayed with CNY but apparently not.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:16 pm 

6 cars, including the Lookout Mountain, were delivered to the RBMN yesterday on their own train from Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:08 pm 

Does anyone know if someone has picked up or saved the cars "Eupolis" (Pullman, 12-1-1, as SLRG 9168 - In Penn Central MOW?) and New York Central #450 "Lion Gardiner" (The sole NYC Heavyweight Diner remaining today?

I may be a nobody but I believe both of these cars have major historical significance in many ways. "Eupolis" is the last remaining un-rebuilt 12-1-1 left in existence, a prime example of 1920s era railroading as well as Gardiner being the sole remaining NYC Heavyweight Diner, an icon of 20th Century Railroading AS WELL as a confirmed artifact that once ran on the 20th Century Limited.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:46 pm 

TheAnimeRailfan wrote:
Does anyone know if someone has picked up or saved the cars "Eupolis" (Pullman, 12-1-1, as SLRG 9168 - In Penn Central MOW?) and New York Central #450 "Lion Gardiner" (The sole NYC Heavyweight Diner remaining today?

I may be a nobody but I believe both of these cars have major historical significance in many ways. "Eupolis" is the last remaining un-rebuilt 12-1-1 left in existence, a prime example of 1920s era railroading as well as Gardiner being the sole remaining NYC Heavyweight Diner, an icon of 20th Century Railroading AS WELL as a confirmed artifact that once ran on the 20th Century Limited.

Regarding the Lion Gardiner, I agree with you that it is worthy of being saved, but I believe the answer is no it hasn't been. It is the center of three cars in the photo at the link: viewtopic.php?p=313700#p313700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:08 pm 

PMC wrote:
TheAnimeRailfan wrote:

Regarding the Lion Gardiner, I agree with you that it is worthy of being saved, but I believe the answer is no it hasn't been. It is the center of three cars in the photo at the link: viewtopic.php?p=313700#p313700

Thank you for the link! Its still sad knowing that those are probably the most recent photos of Lion Gardiner. I think it was posted here not too long ago that Lion Gardiner left Catskill while in a "Boxcar red" primer.

I only wonder if there are photos of Eupolis anywhere. That'd be neat to see.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:02 pm 

It appears that RBM&N has already painted and is running one of the former IC/SLRG cars. Calumet Club appears to be freshly painted and sports its new tuscan scheme. I cannot find a source since this screen was given to me by a friend, and he doesnt recall where it was. All he knows, some of the more recent Fall Foliage trips appear to have the car in use though I dont see any YT Videos on it.

Attachments:
RBMN.jpg
RBMN.jpg [ 136.86 KiB | Viewed 7486 times ]
FB_IMG_1633314022135.png
FB_IMG_1633314022135.png [ 710.95 KiB | Viewed 7486 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:45 pm 

".....Gardiner being the sole remaining NYC Heavyweight Diner, an icon of 20th Century Railroading AS WELL as a confirmed artifact that once ran on the 20th Century Limited."

Good luck with saving the Lion Gardiner. While the interior is still fairly intact, it is one of the rustiest heavyweight cars I have ever seen. Roof, sides, side sills, floor, etc are all in really bad shape.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:20 pm 

Topfuel wrote:
".....Gardiner being the sole remaining NYC Heavyweight Diner, an icon of 20th Century Railroading AS WELL as a confirmed artifact that once ran on the 20th Century Limited."

Good luck with saving the Lion Gardiner. While the interior is still fairly intact, it is one of the rustiest heavyweight cars I have ever seen. Roof, sides, side sills, floor, etc are all in really bad shape.

Still better than nothing if you ask me. As long as the car is still standing, with the right people, right plan and enough money the Gardiner can shine like the day it rolled out of the Pullman shops in 1914. Ready to serve top-notch meals to the lucky 36 passengers in the 2 or 4 tabled seats. Ed realized that, and while we obviously know what happened we should be thankful that Gardiner was at least picked up and put in primer instead of still being left to rot on the Castkill Mountain lines where it likely would've decayed faster or been scrapped by now.

This is Gardiner's true chance to be saved. I can't do anything myself sadly, but I feel as though that if enough awareness is raised, someone of importance will take notice and grab the car, saving it from an uncertain fate once more.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:22 pm 

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone have any (or know where I could find) some updates on the former Reading Observation car sold in this auction? Last I heard the bids were at $25K and there were three interested parties.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next