It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 567bc conversion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:59 am 

Well we ran into a problem with our SW9 this weekend. Tried to drain the crankcase oil for a change of fluid only to drain about 50 gallons of coolant out first. And of course this is the weekend before we start running for the season. Not good. Pulled the hand hole covers and of coarse there are 4-5 power assemblies leaking around the bottom. We knew it would happen eventually.

My first question: Has anybody used the new "Yellow Seals" that are available for these engines. They claim to be far superior to what is available OEM. I have only talked to people that have used them on C-block and newer EMDs which obviously do not have the same problems our B-block does. I would like to hear real world experience on this.

Second question: Are the parts still available for a BC conversion and is there good info out there on what all is involved. We are seriously entertaining this idea.

Any info would be appreciated.
Eric

Post subject: Re: 567bc conversion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:24 pm 

Eric, I would ask Hatch & Kirk in Seattle. They're good with parts and counsel.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:56 pm 

We bought oversized o-rings from LRS (now Integrity Rail) in Beggs, OK when our SW7 dropped one. We have had good luck so far. If all of your "leakers" are on one side, I'd replace the o-rings for the whole bank. Once you've done a couple, you get the hang of it and can knock it out relatively quickly. When you loosen the crab nut on one assembly, you disturb the assembly next to it as well since each crab assembly secures halves of two different assy's. At the very least make sure and tighten the crab back down on the "good" cylinders after pulling the bad ones. You might be OK, then, but when one or two on one side let go on an A or B block, the others usually follow fairly quickly. When you do pull the assemblies, be sure and check the seats at the base of the block. If they're pitted, a little RTV will do the trick.

Just to prepare you, if the assemblies haven't been out in a while they may be a little ornery about coming loose. If you leave tension the cable or chain that you're using to pull them out, they MAY pop out with considerable force and jump all the way out of the block, so use caution.

Best of Luck!
Andrew Durden
Operations Manager and reluctant EMD mechanic
SRM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:57 pm 

They were all done in '09, before I was around. I plan on pulling all of them and resealing. Nobody remembers anything about checking liner seats in the past so who knows the condition. I have a friend at a local shortline with all the proper tools who may be able to help out, so it may go better than I am thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:15 pm 

Talk to Chuck at Hatch & Kirk. They have all the BC parts, and are the OEM. They are not the cheapest, but they have it.

When we do the lower O rings on the 278s, we clean the grove out good, and then permatex them in. It keeps them from rolling when the liner goes in, and gives just a little more seal.

If they were done in 09, and are just leaking now, I say you are doing pretty good...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:29 am 

EMD did make a tool for machining the lower beveled o-ring seat on the 567Bs... I forget where where I saw it... probably in an old M.I.

When I was faced with a B engine that had these lower seats all pitted and simply unsealable, we would pull the PA, clean up the seat as much as possible with plenty of wire wheeling, emery paper, and solvent gunning, and then smear in PC-11, allow a full cure, and then a light "lapping" by hand to smooth any high spots. All by hand in lieu of "EMD tool number 283746129462" [not a real number, OK?]

It worked better than the sawdust plugging every port on the PAs of one particular geep I had to deal with.

Preston may be able to point you to someone who has/has used that seat regrinding tool, or he may know off the top of his head the M.I. # that refers to it.

As it was, I was luckier than all Heck to know someone local(ish) with an EMD torque multiplier for torquing the crab nuts when I was doing PA work.

Protip #1: buy enough K-Y that they snicker at you at the pharmacy.
Protip #2: "Never roll an o-ring"

Rod Whitehead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:13 pm 

I appreciate all the info. Pulled the first PA today. The seats don't look too bad but the lower seals are rock hard. Very obvious where it was leaking by the rust trails. Hopefully I will have them all resealed by the weekend.

Had a good talk with Chuck at H&K. Looks like now days it's not worth the time to do a BC conversion unless you do a 645BC conversion. Still looking for some more detailed info on this. If we pursue this option in the near future, I plan on documenting EVERYTHING that is done and putting together an article on it.

Any other input will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:43 pm 

I worked for a company that was at best "bucks down" for along time. Would never pay to do anything correctly. Liked running B's and BC's cause they were cheap to get. So far allot of good advice hear. We wire brushed sanded and did what ever it took to get the lower seats clean, filled the low spots with J-B weld then sanded smooth. The oversize o-rings are really a good thing, Allot of times the seal area on the liner it self has allot of rust damage as well. Perfect seats won't seal a badly rotted lower liner. As time goes on this is more and more of a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:10 pm 

It is no wonder they eliminated the lower liner seals and went to the coolant tube and jumpers. Our liners are worn as well as the bores in the block. The first set of seals since before we purchased the unit in '89 lasted until '09. Now they are leaking again and the pitting is severe. We are cleaning everything up the best we can and using oversized O-rings with some permatex. Hopefully this will last us until we make a decision on weather to convert or replace our B block. I still am looking for detailed info on a BC conversion. I imagine that EMD had a service bulletin on it. If anybody has one, I would be very interested in seeing it.