It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PTM will dispose of three 1950s reefers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:04 am 

Pennsylvania Trolley Museum (Washington, PA) has been using three 1954 vintage reefers for storage space. Over the next year we expect to empty these cars as the material is moved to our newly constructed Artifact Preservation Building. The cars will then be put up for disposition. We'd much sooner see them go to preservation, but lacking that they will be scrapped. Expressions of interest at this time would be appreciated. Two of the cars had mechanical cooling. Most of the cooling equipment is long gone. The car bodies are in somewhat poor condition but not beyond restoration. The third car was ice cooled and certainly had to represent the last generation of that concept, before mechanical cooling took over entirely. The mechanical cars are 50' long, the ice car is 40' long. All are on solid bearing trucks, removal on their own wheels is not possible. Disposition would be on an "as is, where is" condition with all removal costs and risks to be borne by acquirer. You may contact PTM at www.pa-trolley.org.

Post subject: Re: PTM will dispose of three 1950s reefers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:30 pm 

There is a post on trainorders.com today with photo of a 40 ft wooden reefer on I-70 near Wheeling WV. I would take it that it was one of the three cars mentioned here. If so where was it going?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:45 pm 

No, the car in the picture is not one of the three reefers. It is a 1931 vintage insulated box car, which PTM has had for sale for some time. It was shipped to the Age of Steam organization in Sugar Creek, Ohio earlier today.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:59 am 

Thanks for the correction Art. I thought I recognized it having spent some time in it. I do remember those heavy plug doors that it has. And that it is going to a good home.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:33 pm 

Are any of the three cars still available? If they are, do they have to be purchased for ownership?