Railway Preservation News

Elesco feed water heater question
Page 1 of 1

Author:  10stewi [ Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Elesco feed water heater question

Not being the most knowledgeable with this style of feed water heater, I have a question. Whenever I look at Southern Railway locomotives that have been equipped with an Elesco system, the pipes leading from the cylinder block have two bulges before pipes. I was wondering, are those a type of check valve to prevent steam that enters from returning into the cylinder block? It gets more confusing to me because I have drawings for the Ps-4 showing the pipping for the Elesco and it does not show the "check valves" that are currently on the 1401. Any thoughts on what they are or how necessary they are to the system?

IMG_0361.JPG [ 230.01 KiB | Viewed 845 times ]
e.JPG [ 179.48 KiB | Viewed 845 times ]

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group