It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Individuals who preserve locomotives.
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:14 pm 

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I want to be certain nobody fails to remember the small body of men who dedicated themselves to greasing, painting, cleaning, and preserving the Union Pacific 4014. Without that effort - spread over 50 years - the effort to retrieve and rebuild the giant might have been far more difficult and far more costly. Of late, we have seen dedicated people adopt several locomotives in Canada and elsewhere. Whether the effort bears fruit in their lifetime or not, the effort is not wasted. I just wanted to make the point, and hopefully, if your local park locomotive is not being tended, you might initiate a similar program. Every locomotive needs a friend.

Post subject: Re: Individuals who preserve locomotives.
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:27 pm 

You forgot one of the dedicated men in your list; acquiring.

Not nitpicking at all, but.....

Luckily whoever that was had an organization to add legitimacy to his efforts. Otherwise he'd be picked to pieces for doing it as a private individual. At least that's what I've read on the internet.

ETA

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:34 pm 

You'd be amazed that that mechanical lubricator on your favorite park locomotive probably still works.

When I was at a museum with several static steam locomotives, I'd make a habit of making sure the mechanical lubricators were full and would crank them on occasion, as well as hit the rods and other grease fittings with appropriate lubrication.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:29 am 

This thread brings to mind the legacy of John Long. Mr. Long not only instigated the donation of Western Maryland K-2 Pacific 202, he spent the remaining years of his life enthusiastically and devotedly caring for it in City Park in Hagerstown.

I only met Mr. Long once and spoke to him at length abouth his endeavor and commended him for his diligence. Not many who pass our way make such significant contributions as did John.

Where will the next generation of preservationists come from?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:07 pm 

Are you talking about locomotives that are owned by private individuals or just park locomotives being cared for?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:54 pm 

The hardest part about maintaining a park engine is finding someone who knows what they're looking at. In my opinion, an engine sitting on a display in Colorado, California, or in the northeast will fare better simply because of the large population of steam railroads operating in those regions than say Florida or Montana. A little maintenance goes a long way.

Speaking of, I'm getting ready to open the cylinders up on 195 in Skagway. Looking into the valve inspection ports, looks like a melted aluminum can or babbitt pieces sitting loosely in there. The engine was drug, probably dry, to it's current spot. Got any advice on cleaning the valve and cylinder lining and freeing up the pistons?