It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WANTED: Return of Mississippian No. 76 number plate
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:29 pm 

I am unsure of all the history behind this but as I was told, the number board for Mississippian No. 76 was stolen from the locomotive at some point while it was still in Gettysburg and its whereabouts are obviously unknown. Recently, the Explorers from Post 1225 at the Steam Railroading Institute in Owosso, Michigan announced their plans to restore No. 76 to operating condition. Check out their Facebook page if you're interested. https://www.facebook.com/explorerpost1225

We are seeking the return of the stolen number plate so that it may be restored to its rightful place on the locomotive. If anyone has any information regarding the plate please let me know. You may remain anonymous and no questions will be asked if the plate is returned. See the pic below for the missing plate.

Another reason I've included this picture is to tap your collective knowledge. If it becomes necessary to have a replacement plate made we need to know some of the other details that were cast into the plate. Unfortunately this is the best picture that we have right now but I'm hoping that someone is familiar enough with the Frisco number plates to help us fill in some of the details. The Frisco plates carried info about various aspects of the locomotive like class or cylinder diameter, etc. In the upper left I believe is the number "19" which is consistent with the cylinder diameter of the locomotive. I can make guesses as to the other letters and numbers present but ideally someone a little more knowledgeable can direct us in the right direction.

Attachment:
76 plate 2.jpg
76 plate 2.jpg [ 150.24 KiB | Viewed 3733 times ]

Principal, Superpower Engineering Services
Volunteer, Steam Railroading Institute

Post subject: Re: WANTED: Return of Mississippian No. 76 number plate
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:49 pm 

Rich if you need the replica of the plate PM me as 1352 pattern has been made for the coonskin background. All the would be needed is the number as they came as separate parts and bolted together.

Steven Harvey
President
American Steam Railroad
Frisco Mike #1352

http://www.americansteamrailroad.org
http://www.fireup2100.org

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:01 pm 

rggreter wrote:
I am unsure of all the history behind this but as I was told, the number board for Mississippian No. 76 was stolen from the locomotive at some point while it was still in Gettysburg and its whereabouts are obviously unknown. Recently, the Explorers from Post 1225 at the Steam Railroading Institute in Owosso, Michigan announced their plans to restore No. 76 to operating condition. Check out their Facebook page if you're interested. https://www.facebook.com/explorerpost1225

We are seeking the return of the stolen number plate so that it may be restored to its rightful place on the locomotive. If anyone has any information regarding the plate please let me know. You may remain anonymous and no questions will be asked if the plate is returned. See the pic below for the missing plate.

Another reason I've included this picture is to tap your collective knowledge. If it becomes necessary to have a replacement plate made we need to know some of the other details that were cast into the plate. Unfortunately this is the best picture that we have right now but I'm hoping that someone is familiar enough with the Frisco number plates to help us fill in some of the details. The Frisco plates carried info about various aspects of the locomotive like class or cylinder diameter, etc. In the upper left I believe is the number "19" which is consistent with the cylinder diameter of the locomotive. I can make guesses as to the other letters and numbers present but ideally someone a little more knowledgeable can direct us in the right direction.

Attachment:
76 plate 2.jpg

Rich -

Someone once explained to me what all those other symbols meant, and it was quite fascinating, and enlightening! I just can't recall who it was now that knew all this info. Hopefully they will see your photo and your request, and chime in. BTW, I don't think that every Frisco engine had that info, with some just having the cast plate with the locomotives numbers.

Les

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:43 pm 

If you have Joe Collias' book Frisco Power, it explains it all there.