It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Big Announcement Today for St. Louis and Roanoke
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:18 pm 

I'm not sure they would be receptive today without someone as large as NS leaning on them about it. I guess we will see what becomes of all of this to see how big of a lean that was. o..0

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:25 pm 

Let's not forget the significant management changes that have taken place in St Louis since then........and how much better it has become in the interval.

dave

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:59 pm 

Just sticking this here because it's the handiest place--a most interesting photo from the Streamliners event in Spencer:

https://www.facebook.com/60129481652/ph ... =1&theater

Do you think the guys at Spencer may need a longer turntable sometime?

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 7585_n.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:15 pm 

Some NS folks have been examining the loco, especially its brakes, in recent days. But folks have been calling the museum already asking for the schedule for the move, routing, times, etc. Please don't be one of those folks. No-one has any idea when it will move yet, routing, or anything else. And when something like this leaves the gate once it is out of sight they also have no idea when it will get anywhere as it is entirely up to the lines handling it, UP, TRRA, and NS. There isn't and probably won't be a "schedule" for its move and the folks at MOT will only know after it happens, just like the rest of us.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:45 pm 

What a great shot of a great locomotive. And while I know the rumors will fly for the next few years, I certainly hope there is something unannounced in the wings regarding the A, the J, and this Y.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:10 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
What a great shot of a great locomotive. And while I know the rumors will fly for the next few years, I certainly hope there is something unannounced in the wings regarding the A, the J, and this Y.

Indeed.

Is it too much to dream of another operational Mallet compound? Is it too much to dream of this other Mallet compound lined up with its simple articulated and streamlined passenger roster mates--and all three are in steam?

Back to sleep. . .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:09 am 

Reviving this thread in 2022 now (8 years later), I'd look to put it out there that the restoration of either the 2050 or the 2156 is more plausible now. We've got the RRHMA very actively working on bigger steam locomotives. I'd argue they could negotiate with the IRM for the 2050 relatively easily once their two current projects are done. 2156 may be more difficult, but maybe a long term lease would do doable. They've got the place to run one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:45 am 

Just as a note on practicality: it is not 'tremendously' difficult to fit one of these "quasi-invisibly" with better balance, lightweight rods, and internal IP admission to make them track-speed capable without heavy augment or hunting. The work is reversible to restore the 'historic fabric' at any time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:38 pm 

Sorry, what is 'RRHMA'? That's not NMOT in St. Louis, so I'm not sure who (in this sense) is actively working on large steam locomotives.

FWIW, I don't see either N&W Y-class being returned to operation. Too much cost, no corporate sponsorship, nowhere to run them, and other steam out there looking for sustainable employment.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:20 pm 

John D wrote:
Sorry, what is 'RRHMA'? That's not NMOT in St. Louis, so I'm not sure who (in this sense) is actively working on large steam locomotives.

FWIW, I don't see either N&W Y-class being returned to operation. Too much cost, no corporate sponsorship, nowhere to run them, and other steam out there looking for sustainable employment.

But, but but..... some railfan declared it plausible here! That has to make it true, right?

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:57 pm 

OK, RRHMA is Railroading Heritage of Mid-America, the entity who just inherited the UP 4-6-6-4 (3985) etc.

The premise of their restoring either surviving N&W Y-class seems unlikely, unless someone showers them with trainloads of cash. Better question would be: why would/should they? I think they have enough on their plate right now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:14 am 

wilkinsd wrote:
But, but but..... some railfan declared it plausible here! That has to make it true, right?

What, is someone not entitled to their own opinion here. For the record, I never said plausible or indicated we would see RRHMA (or any organization) get one of the 2-8-8-2s anytime soon. However, compared to 2014, locomotives such as a Chesapeake, Yellowstone, or Cab Forward, or even a Texas type 2-10-4 have a much higher likelihood of seeing an operational restoration now. At least now there is a place that has the shop and equipment needed and a suitable place to run a locomotive that may not be rated for typical mainline speeds. I agree that RRHMA has their hands full with 3985 and 5511, plus the space for the QJ(s). But there's no reason to self-impose limitations. The 3985 and 5511 have gathered tremendous amounts of support and donations with the matching grant, so there's no reason to think one of Y's, Yellowstones, or whatever else they end up getting in the future would be any different. Especially since one has never run in excursion service post-steam era, I'd argue they would garner even more support. If Ed Dickens had self-imposed limitations, we wouldn't have a Big Boy running. They would have played it safe and just stuck with 3985 since they were familiar with it. Before 4014 was restored, we had similar responses when people mentioned the possibility of a Big Boy restoration, yet one runs now.

Again, not trying to start-up an argument on this. I'm just asserting that at least now there is a place with the facility needed and a place to run the larger articulates that haven't gotten their chance at a restoration. Whether or not anything like that will ACTUALLY happen remains to be seen once the 3985 and 5511 are done.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:27 am 

I mean anything is possible, but it’s wholly unlikely. 2050 is used up, it was a stationary boiler before it came to IRM.

And as for 2156, I just personally don’t see it. They just got it back, and they don’t seem to be very keen on letting pieces go.

This is just foamer talk to me. Which isn’t bad, but needs reminding that these are heavy, slow articulateds. 3985 has a lot more personal clout around it, and is designed for mixed service.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:28 pm 

Unless RRHMA has a budget and team larger than UP's, don't expect them to field multiple massive locomotives at once. They will have more work and budget needs on their hands than about any other group just keeping the QJs running, 261, and restoring the 3985 and maybe the UP 2-10-2. Even once they are running, it will be a massive undertaking just to keep their shop infrastructure, rolling stock and 3 out of 5 steamers in running condition at any one time.

Highly HIGHLY doubt St Louis will let anything out of their grasp, and RRHMA have too much on their plate to even think about a 2nd articulated. Even UP didn't want to bite that bullet...

Then look at 611, it has to go to PA to run. If NS was running the same number of trips as back in the 2010s, then maybe you'd see a real effort with 1218 or 2156, but there's not really much point now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:51 am 

I remember the same kind of fanciful thinking back when AOS first opened up. "AOS is going to restore ALL of the locomotives and have them running AT THE SAME TIME, because they have a full shop and lots of money!!!". Ugh. Yeah people actually thought that.