It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surviving Railroad YMCA buildings?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:22 am 

I think this is beyond thread drift from "East Broad Top the status of #16" and should have it's own topic:

Mark Hedges wrote:
Are there any of the old railroad YMCA's still standing? My hometown (Brunswick MD) had a big one but it burned when I was a kid.

The Pennsylvania Railroad YMCA Building in West Philadelphia is still in use as a Charter School:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4025- ... 11gnsvllg8

https://www.phila.gov/media/20190607082 ... nation.pdf

Brian

Post subject: Re: Surviving Railroad YMCA buildings?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:53 am 

It's probably best that most of them are gone...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:40 pm 

While everybody was taking turns telling HOtel stories, I was itching to say something about Guatemala, but they were having so much fun without me that I didn't have the heart to cut in.

There was a famous railroad hotel in Zacapa, right next to the station, with a fantastic view of the roundhouse. It wasn't part of the YMCA, but it's the equivilent for that part of the world. In my time it housed the railroad employees chapter of AA, and we used the showers to cool off all the killer bee stings after we were attacked during our inspection of the FEGUA #199. (And I got jock rot between my toes from that one shower, because the track crews used those facilities, mostly.) These days it is part of the FEGUA Museum. No doubt they had their share of hos. The proprietress of The Rose Room in Guatemala City told those of us who chose to socialize with her girls over a bottle of Venado Especial, that she remembers the steam engines from her childhood there. The railroad is shut down now, but I bet Gabi and the girls are still doing a good business.

The second crew hostel I experienced was a similar establishment in Puerto Barrios called El Hotel del Norte, located right next to the wharf where bananas were loaded onto ships for shipment to the states. Covering these trains during the frequent floods was the last revenue freight assignment for steam. The old section of the HOtel featured bathrooms down the hall, and screen curtains to let the breeze in while keeping the Zancudos (dragonfly sized, bloodthirsty mosquitoes) out. In the classic old bar, you could watch the ships in the harbor while sipping (or chugging) your favorite poison. You could get lobster if you advised the waiter a day in advance, but I preferred the giant prawns from the Rio Dulce sharing a platter with shrimp from the Bay of Amatique. In each room was a bilingual card warning guests that they would be removed from the premises if they were caught bringing women of questionable character back to their rooms. Of course I stole one and still have it.

There is a story of President Justin Ruffino Barrios arriving in the midst of a typical tropical downpour, trying to get a room there. Apparently nobody had told them of his arrival in advance, and it is said that when he pounded on the office door demanding a room, the desk clerk asked who he was. He replied "EL PRESIDENTE", and the clerk said "the president of what ??" When he said "The President of The REPUBLIC", he was finally given a room.

The HOtel is still there so far as I know, and they offer a businessman's discount. Last time I stayed there I asked for this because I was with FEGUA, and the desk clerk said "who is FEGUA??" When I told the Guatemala City Roundhouse Foreman about it, he replied that she had said the same thing to him, after he asked for his discount, too...

Sammy King

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:30 pm 

Crestline, Ohio, was still up 10 years ago (which means it was probably more like 20 years as my memory doesn't keep up with real time). It was a 1970s build by Conrail, I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:04 pm 

BnOTolSub wrote:
It's probably best that most of them are gone...

Why?

Here's the New Haven Railroad YMCA I drive by them all the time. Image

Well image doesn't work here it is as a link https://goo.gl/maps/yf4jvDBKjcVzhLLk7

What was the history of them?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:13 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
adammil1 wrote:
Here's the New Haven Railroad YMCA I drive by them all the time.

Appropriately located next to Cedar Hill Yard.

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:17 pm 

Reading PA's YMCA has been repurposed into a rescue mission. You may have to scroll to see the Reading Company name on the building.
https://www.hopeforreading.org/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:02 pm 

I believe the old PRR bunk room at Enola is still there now a appliance store. On Rte 11 (Enola Rd.)
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.296191, ... 384!8i8192

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:03 pm 

The Railroad YMCA in Durand, Michigan still survives as a residence:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9108851 ... 384!8i8192

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:09 pm 

I don’t think any are operating as YMCA and bunkhouses as YMCA isn’t in that SRO business any more. The closest you will find is in the NS yard in Fostoria, OH that was a YMCA and still is a bunkhouse.

As for repurposed ones the one in Maybrook, NY is a community center and a museum after being abandoned for some time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:39 pm 

Remember a large railroad YMCA at Russell, KY.

Never stayed in it, however, had many a meal there in the middle 1980's.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:21 am 

Come to St Louis!!

Not only does the railroad Y still survive, but you can stay in it as your hotel right next to Union Station.

Google Drury Inn Union Station

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:02 am 

I believe the Niles, Michigan RRYMCA is still standing next to the MC roundhouse, both in use by wholesalers. When we were there the turntable was destroyed by rust, but still spun.

I was always amazed by the appearance of the 4-story Hotel Yorba adjacent to the north side of I-75 in Mexicantown, Detroit. I was not surprised to be told that it was used by NS as a crew hotel.

Aarne Frobom
c/o Red Neon Motel,
US-12, Cement City, Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:53 pm 

Aarne H. Frobom wrote:
I believe the Niles, Michigan RRYMCA is still standing next to the MC roundhouse, both in use by wholesalers. When we were there the turntable was destroyed by rust, but still spun.

I was always amazed by the appearance of the 4-story Hotel Yorba adjacent to the north side of I-75 in Mexicantown, Detroit. I was not surprised to be told that it was used by NS as a crew hotel.

Aarne Frobom
c/o Red Neon Motel,
US-12, Cement City, Michigan

It's still around, and apparently considered a structure of note for historians; it certainly shows signs of style in its design.

But even the Historic Detroit link that has these notes also considers it a "flop house."

https://historicdetroit.org/buildings/hotel-yorba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:03 am 

What was the history of the railroad YMCAs? I drive by the New Haven Railroad YMCA all the time. I had always made the assumption that it was probably something similar to a modern day YMCA that would have been provided in a somewhat altruistic fashion by the railroad to provide a community center for all the railroad workers who would have worked near the cedar Hill yards. Is that not the case? Was the YMCA more just a hotel for passing railroaders? Now I'm pretty curious what the history of the place really was? What were these places like back in the day?