It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Photo: Is this a Porter?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:42 am 

Number 908 is one and the same as number 6 now at North Judson. The "sloping" rear coupler confirms it! John Thompson had a number of steamers, but only this one 0-4-2T. I'm not sure where the number 908 came from but it looks like it was on some type of a separate board, so probably came from something else and nailed on. Looks like it might have even been turned over and was originally 806. I guess we'll never know the story behind that number now.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:46 am 

Greetings:
JET owned only one 0-4-2T, No.6. As I recall, 908 was the street number of the estate!
That is why the only identification to depend on is the "c/n" (Construction Number) assigned to a locomotive by the builder.
JDC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:53 am 

One more.

Is there a full accounting of where everything went? I shot these engines at the farm property which was later sold. Most of the equipment was moved to the former winery location but I think one or more pieces were sold or traded for the move. Someone---I think from the family---told me that the buyer of whatever left the farm directly had the task of moving the rest. Sounds like a pretty big operation with crane(s) and lots of lowboy moves. Are there photos?

Steve

Attachments:
thompson003m.jpg
thompson003m.jpg [ 195.08 KiB | Viewed 3800 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:01 pm 

filmteknik wrote:
One more.

Is there a full accounting of where everything went? I shot these engines at the farm property which was later sold. Most of the equipment was moved to the former winery location but I think one or more pieces were sold or traded for the move. Someone---I think from the family---told me that the buyer of whatever left the farm directly had the task of moving the rest. Sounds like a pretty big operation with crane(s) and lots of lowboy moves. Are there photos?

Steve

A very quick history lesson, and then we'll get to the photo of the 0-4-2T and the Rock Island wooden cupola caboose. John Thompson's winery consisted of two train depots. I think that they were ex-IC, but not sure. The two depots were joined into an "L" shape for the winery, with basements under one depot, perhaps both. Some of the equipment was parked next to one of the depots. After the winery business was closed down, the depots caught fire (arson?) and the wood Rock Island caboose pictured, which was next to a depot, was an almost total loss.

A number of John Thompson's locomotives survive, besides 0-4-2T number 6. Perhaps J. David, or someone else, can give a rundown of what went where.

Les

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:40 am 

Some history buried in this thread:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30779&hilit=saddle+tank+on+the+move

and here:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30050&hilit=winery

Wesley