It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How we present ourselves to the public: PA Trolley Museum
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:28 pm 

I'm always interested in how museums appear to general, non-railfan visitors. Improving the visitor experience is something many of us can improve upon.

Here is a post from the blog "Play Pittsburgh" recounting a visit to the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum. Needless to say, it was a positive review:

http://playpittsburgh.com/play/museums/pennsylvania-trolley-museum/#.U7GYbo1dVy9

That museum has made a lot of improvments over the years, and has really emphasized improving the overall visitor experience.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

Post subject: Re: How we present ourselves to the public: PA Trolley Museu
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:25 pm 

Son is sitting here--he's 24 now--and says he can attest to the way kids are treated there. He had his first trip up there on opening day when he was five. We've never met a hostile volunteer or one who didn't seem ready to engage kids at their level. He has a mild case of ADHD, but he's never been bored.

Post subject: Re: How we present ourselves to the public: PA Trolley Museu
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:58 pm 

There's SO much to say about how kids are treated.
I went to TVRM in Chattanooga in 1981, when I was 11, and I was treated very well. I remember standing in the parking lot before they opened (at the station near the shops, the main depot they use now had just been built and wasn't being used yet) watching them coal up 630 and one of the crew stood up, saw me standing there watching at a distance, and took time to wave.
My Mom told them I was a huge steam fan when we got in there and was riding with everyone else. The conducter told her I could ride the cab on the way back. All alone, I went up there and was only warned to stay in the seat for my own safety. In all fairness, I think they took too much for granted that I would stay there, but I was a smart kid who knew when to follow the word of adults.
Now, I didn't get back for almost 30 years but when I went there in 2012, I walked in the place that morning still feeling positive about how I was treated as a kid. And I saw nothing to lead me to think anything had changed in that regard.
Kids have a long memory, and adults often forget that fact. If I lived anywhere near TVRM, I would certainly support them any way I could, because of how they treated me all those years ago.