It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: D&H Canal Barge Pump
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:27 am 

I recently bought what I was told is a "D&H Canal Barge Pump". The top is marked with Gould's Pumps Inc, Challenger, Seneca Falls NY, made in USA. I found a similar pump in a Goulds Pump catalog from 1903. In doing some research it seems that the name Goulds pump inc. wasn't adopted until 1926. The Canal was closed in 1902 so that would conflict with the story behind the pump. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachment:
pump1.jpg
pump1.jpg [ 342.35 KiB | Viewed 3565 times ]

Post subject: Re: D&H Canal Barge Pump
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:18 pm 

Unless the top chamber is a replacement part made later, the pump was made after 1925. However the top chamber was less subject to freeze damage than the bottom, where water tended to collect. I have one of these and it has freeze cracks in the bottom. They were often used as bilge pumps for small commercial vessels, especially when such a pump was rigged for two man operation. Mine was used, I was told, on a sail-powered oyster lugger, but dealers and auctioneers will tell you most anything to make the sale.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:22 pm 

It could well be a bilge pump from a barge that worked on the D&H canal, and survived long after the closure. Alternately, it could be some vision of the auctioneer. Now you just need a barge....

Michael Seitz
Missoula MT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:38 pm 

Thanks for the info! The previous owner, not the auctioneer, told me the "story" behind the pump. As for the top portion, I cant tell if it was replaced or not. It does seem to have a paper gasket and not a rubber one as mentioned in some of the catalogs.

Attachments:
pump2.jpg
pump2.jpg [ 248.54 KiB | Viewed 3452 times ]