It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Accident
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 1998 3:03 pm 

I just pulled this off of the Trainorders Discussion board. I haven't gotten the chance to verify this so take it with a grain of salt.<p>"No jokes intended. This discouraging news just came off the Foamers' wire:<p>This post transcribed from a report received from Matt Vurek, on scene at this year's Portola railfan Day event.<p>It seems that the 921 failed to trip it's over-speed relay when the throttle became stuck at the conclusion of the afternoon photo runby.<p>Engineer Steve Habeck was able to get the locomotive physically stopped, but the engine was still at high rev.s. While in the engine compartment, trying to get the engine back down to idle, an explosion of unknown origin occurred, sending 20 foot flames out the roof of the engine, and Mr Habeck to the Plumas County Hospital with first and second degree burns.<br>Matt said the flames shooting out of the engine looked like defense department footage of an ICBM launch.<br>Our Best wishes go out to Steve in hopes he wasn't too badly injured, and to the Portola Railroad Museum Staff who now have a task ahead of them figuring out what to do with the repairs of this very important piece of WP history.<p>For Matt Vurek, Jim Groenke<br>Foamers List Admin."<p>If this incident has taken place, it should serve as a graphic reminder to us about the inherent dangers of operating the elderly equipment that we preserve. Lets hope that the injured crewman makes a speedy recovery and that no permanent damage has been done to this historic locomotive.<p>Paul K <br>

paulkattner@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Accident
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 1999 4:39 am 

Sounds like the engine blew up. Just replace it with another 567 engine and you'll be back in business. <p>The fix is relatively easy. The money won't be.<br><br>

bighookx45@aol.com

Post subject: 567 engines
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 1999 4:55 am 

Perhaps cheaper in Denmark? Might be worth a try.<br>Danish My´s and Mx´s waiting to be sold or scrapped, all with 567C 12 or 16 cyl. engines.<br>Sorry I can´t provide a better contact than this link, but it´s something to begin with...<br>/MC

Mail to: Danish State Railways

Post subject: Re: 567 engines
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 1999 12:24 pm 

Shipping & handling for a Danish 567 block would probably make this not viable. 567 blocks are still pretty common here in North America, so that would bec the route that I would take.<br>

paulkattner@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 1999 9:33 am 

ok! I got the impression that it was expensive to buy a 567 engine in the States. Since there is no real "aftermarket" for these engines in Scandinavia/Europe, the price, wether it is a good engine, or a broken one, probably would be set after it´s value for a scrap yard. A 40 foot container across the Atlantic costs ca. 1000$, Loading/Transport to Harbour in Denmark would be maximum 1000$ too. <br>How much does one have to pay for an engine in North America?<br>Remember, $$$ is king, compared to our "fake money", I thought this fact could be to your benefit.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 1999 12:56 pm 

Actually, we could use some international sources of old stock and salvage parts for our diesels as we dry up the sources in this country. Mexico was a source of steam appliances in the 1960s - perhaps we ought to do a better job of planning ahead to keep out EMD and ALCO stink buggies running? So, thanks for your information, and don't let some shortsighted points of view prevent you from continuing to enlighten us on this side of the ocean. <p>I kind of like the double ended covered wagon look - I wonder, are they standard gauge, and what would it take to get some over here?<p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net

Post subject: EMD´s in Europe
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 1999 3:22 pm 

They are of standard gauge. The biggest difference is the hook couplings, but they can be replaced. Or another solution, the Russian copy of the AAR coupling, the SA3, has a link fitted for hook coupling interaction. If a SA3 is mounted to a "coupling wagon", you can have this wagon closest to your "Dane". SA3 works fine together with AAR. Technically, it´s U.S. standards all the way, except maybe traction motors, which at least on Swedish locos is of Swedish ASEA manufacturing.<br>Denmark State RR still has 15 running of these, but with 16-567D1 engines. The oldest(with 12/16-567C) are put away for cutting up. The last can be expected to go the same way within 5 years.<br>Next to go is the one´s in Norway (picture) and Hungary. Perhaps 40-50 of these double-end locos is running today in Europe, but not for long. A Danish would cost approx. 4000$ sold as scrap, but you´ll have to expect heavy repairs, a shortcircuited main generator or something like that. In running order, cost maybe 10 times as much.<br>Norwegians, probably same prices, Hungarian I have no idea. No EMD locos have been built for Europe in any big numbers since the 70´s, so the workshops will begin phasing them out during the end of next decade. Scandinavian countries are the big EMD users together with Spain,Croatia, Slovenia and other remains of Yugoslavia. As I said before, there could be an advantage in the money exchange courses. It can be worth the effort to have a look around over here if something´s needed one day.<br>Follow the link to see what´s "out there".<br>The togh part to get one of these into the States, is not to find one, but to take it over the Atlantic. Somehow, you probably have to take it to Rotterdam, The Netherlands, by boat! It´s simply to expensive and complicated to move it by rail through Germany...<br>From Rotterdam, the rest is easy. Costs? No idea, but it has been done lately, by the Hull-Wakefield RR in Canada, http://www.steamtrain.ca/ and the Belfast&Moosehead RR, http://BelfastRailRoad.com/<br>I´ll keep informing this list of anything that might be of interest, I´m not so familiar of what´s needed or not in the US or Canada, I´ll leave it to the readers to decide.<br>/MC <br> <br>

EMD Exports

Post subject: Re: EMD´s in Europe
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 1999 1:32 pm 

I appreciate the info - right now - a locomotive would be out of line here locally, but, an engine? Of cource, there is the cist to move, crate, load, ship, etc.<br>

lundquist@sdrm.org

Post subject: Re: EMDs in Europe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 1999 10:55 pm 

I don't think you need to go all the way to Europe for a prime mover.The Great Western Railway in Loveland, Colorado has several old GP-7's laying around the yard. There are also several scrappers around the country that may have one lying around.<br>The Gee Whiz is part of Omnitrax which has a web page at www.omnitrax.com <br>

rogerm@ezlink.com