It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GE 50 ton Engine Swap
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:01 pm 

Anybody out there have any experience with transplanting a C series 8.3l Cummins diesel in place of the original HBI 600 Cummins? I see many people have done it but I can't find any info on it. I would like to know what people are using for adapters, or if there is a bellhousing that works. There are two locos for sale on sterling rail that have been converted to 8.3l, but no pictures of the engine to generator mounting. Any help would be appreciated.

Eric

Post subject: Re: GE 50 ton Engine Swap
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:50 pm 

I'm guessing the engine/generator connection is a standard SAE bellhousing. You might want to contact Cummins (or GE), they might have somebody to help you.

CD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:44 am 

We recently acquired a 1948-vintage 50 tonner which had had it's HBI600s replaced at some point, also, but with the 855 (14 liter) Cummins. The prime movers are designated as N-855-L1, the "L" designating "locomotive". They have a bell housing to fit a GE 569 main generator. Not sure if Cummins made an "L" version of the engine that you describe.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:37 am 

CREEPING DEATH wrote:
I'm guessing the engine/generator connection is a standard SAE bellhousing. You might want to contact Cummins (or GE), they might have somebody to help you.

CD

The bell housing, I am told, is unique to the generator. Sounds like (and looks like) it is an integral part of the drive end housing on the gen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:48 am 

Andrew Durden wrote:
We recently acquired a 1948-vintage 50 tonner which had had it's HBI600s replaced at some point, also, but with the 855 (14 liter) Cummins. The prime movers are designated as N-855-L1, the "L" designating "locomotive". They have a bell housing to fit a GE 569 main generator. Not sure if Cummins made an "L" version of the engine that you describe.

My old school Cummins guy has told me that the N series or 855 cummins is the closest modern replacement for the H series. He also thought that the bell housings may be interchangeable with little or no modifications. The problem is that the 855 is overkill on power, and is heavy. The 8.3 still averages twice the power of the original HBI 600, but is smaller, turbocharged, more efficient and best of all has really good parts support. Plus I can get good used ones fairly inexpensive. They share a similar RPM range as well. I also kicked around the Idea of a L10 Cummins. I can get those engines DIRT CHEAP.

I would like to see some pictures of the engine to generator mounting on your engine.

Anybody have just the bell housing from one of these units with a HBI 600?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:19 pm 

EWrice wrote:

I would like to see some pictures of the engine to generator mounting on your engine.

I'll grab some pics this evening.