It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Kilborne & Jacobs" Hoppers at the Alder Gulch
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:13 pm 

There were a few "Kilborne & Jacobs" Hoppers at the Alder Gulch RY in Virginia City and Nevada City Montana.

Does anyone have any info and/or photos of these hoppers?

I'm wondering what survives of them.

Ideally I need to find frame details, as most of the questions about the way these were consructed reamain with the; carbody bolster, draft gear and striker area of the frame.

These trucks (seen in the right foreground) taken of the Adler Gulch parts pile, might be K&J designed 3' gauge trucks:

http://gypsyroadtrip.files.wordpress.co ... n-yard.jpg

The three I-beams, serving as the truck bolster, is a rare design for a 3' gauge truck. They appear to be the same design, and use the same parts, as the known double I-beam K&J built trucks.

Our "paper" archives will be the future railfans only hope. We (yes you too!) should endeavor to preserve all the info needed to allow them 100% accuracy in the building of their recreations.

Post subject: Re: "Kilborne & Jacobs" Hoppers at the Alder Gulch
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:29 am 

Attached are a couple of photos of the cars in question. First is from 2006, second from 1997.

The state of Montana sold the cars in 2010, they went to a scrapper in Butte who cut them up on the spot within days of the sale.

The trucks in the photo linked in the first post are indeed 3' gauge trucks, they are from UTLX tank cars used on the Denver & Rio Grande Western until 1964. Charles Bovey bought them from UTLX and brought them to Nevada City to place under the Florence & Cripple Creek / Montana Southern cars that he had salvaged. The trucks have been removed from under the cars in the past few years and are now back under restored UTLX tank cars on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad.

Jason Midyette

Attachments:
File comment: Nevada City 2006
009.jpg
009.jpg [ 272.76 KiB | Viewed 2968 times ]
File comment: Nevada City 1997
010.jpg
010.jpg [ 139.36 KiB | Viewed 2968 times ]