It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Carstens Publications--Any More Printed Editions?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:27 pm 

A few notes:

1) The June issue was assembled, sent to the printer and actually on press before White River Productions came on the scene. That was entirely a Carstens product.

2) You won't find a "coming next month" blurb in Railfan because, contrary to popular belief, we don't have three-month production cycles. A magazine goes on press, we spend two or three days working on extra digital content and then we have about 25 days to get the next one ready. We may have some idea of what's going in the issue, but no production work has actually been done.

3) The Texas Transportation piece is a brain fart on my part. I bumped it and forgot I did. The magazine sat at the printer in St. Cloud, so I sent a new contents page there. In the meantime, St. Cloud had already sent the files to Waseca in preparation for St. Cloud's shutdown, and the new contents page never caught up.

4) There are no more Carstens issues. We're working on the combined WRP July-October issue now, followed by the 40th anniversary November issue 28 days later (told you I was planning that, but no one believed me).

5) Back issues are now in Missouri. All the bound volumes of Railroad are also in Missouri. The R&R editorial office remains in northern New Jersey, but now with an Andover address.

Steve Barry
Railfan & Railroad
Andover, NJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:30 am 

Steve-for those of us who ordered just one copy of the June issue (vs. being subscribers)-do you know if that order will be fulfilled/mailed, etc?

Thanks for keeping everyone up-to-date!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:11 am 

Thanks for the updates, Steve. Good to hear what's going on, right from the source for a change!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:36 pm 

I had placed an order with Carstens the other week. Today I received an email from White River asking to confirm the order, it included an attached copy of the Press Release and providing a phone number to call.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:48 pm 

The Jul. - Oct. issue of Railfan & Railroad arrived in the Oct. 15 mail in Phila., Pa.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:48 pm 

July to october...thats squeaking it all together...

is there any article in it about the changeover...(like we don't already know...)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:23 am 

There is an opening editorial from new publisher Kevin EuDaly in the front of the magazine and I have a few comments in the Markers section. It took a bit longer to get this issue out than we'd hoped (new postal permits, integrating the sub list into the WRP system, etc.) so we're going to combine cover dates for Nov-Dec as well. That will get the January 2015 issue on the newsstands around January 1; subscribers and hobby shops should see it a week or so earlier. Keep in mind that subscribers will have their subscriptions extended, so you'll still get the same number of physical magazines that you signed up for.

Steve Barry
Editor
Railfan & Railroad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:06 am 

Steve, can you comment on how things are going for Railroad Model Craftsman? I understand Chris D'Amato will continue as editor; haven't heard much else.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:46 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Update issued today:

https://www.whiteriverproductions.com/s ... erTogether

Condensed version: No change to PTJ, TRP, Model Railroad News, and RMC. Railroads Illustrated will be merged into R&R with subscription extensions as appropriate.