It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Carstens Publications--Any More Printed Editions?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:41 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
David Notarius wrote:
I do not have too much faith in rumours, but from 3 different people (all un-connected)in my circle of usual suspects, have been floating one that "Railpace Magazine" may be one of the publishers interested in both mags. This may be more wishful thinking, then truth. Maybe Steve Barry can set the facts right? Over to you Steve....

Anything CAN happen, but I suspect that this is wishful thinking at best. The magazine has, professionally, been regarded as publisher Tom Nemeth's "retirement plan," and we have seen little to nothing ambitious, so to speak, in either marketing or long-term planning, as Nemeth & Co. gets up in years, aside from the just-started "digital edition". There's not really room in the magazine's format to "merge in" R&R, and I don't see that much interest there in rail or air models. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies to both retirement plans and magazines.

But stranger things have happened. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:33 pm 

Stay tuned. News coming shortly.

Swedesboro, NJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:11 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Tease. <:-p

(Okay, seriously, good luck and all that. <:-) )

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:29 am 

Okay, it's official. White River Productions announced today that they are taking over RMC and R&R effective September 1. The announcement came out as a PDF, so I can't post it here and I haven't found a link anywhere to link to. In a nutshell, all outstanding subscriptions will be honored -- if you are owed six issues, you will get six issues. Some issues may have combined cover dates for the next few months until things are back on schedule.

Once I find a link, I'll link to the official press release.

EDIT: Link here http://www.modelrailroadnews.com/PDF/WR ... 140829.pdf

Swedesboro, NJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:56 pm 

Will the working offices stay in New Jersey or go to Missouri? I wonder if those writers/editors for the mag will shift over to continue?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:41 pm 

Here's the text, without the background information:
Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE AUGUST 29, 2014
White River Productions Acquires Railroad Model Craftsman and Railfan & Railroad magazines from Carstens Publications
(Bucklin, Missouri) – White River Productions has acquired Railroad Model Craftsman and Railfan & Railroad magazines, effective September 1, 2014. The asset purchase agreement between Carstens Publications and White River Productions was completed Thursday, August 28, 2014. Carstens Publications’ final issues of the two titles are the June issues, and future issues will be produced by White River Productions. Staff assignments for the two publications have not yet been determined. Included in the agreement is the Books Division of Carstens Publications, which will continue under White River Productions. Not included is
Flying Models magazine. “We are excited to welcome these two Carstens titles to our family of White River Productions publications,” said Kevin EuDaly, president of White River Productions. “These magazines are an important part of railroad publications and White River Productions looks forward to continuing their legacies.” Subscribers will be pleased to know existing subscriptions are to be honored and fulfilled by the new ownership. Fulfillment will be based on the number of remaining issues in existing subscriptions. Due to the need to get the magazines’ cover dates current, a combined issue scenario will likely be employed, but the number of issues owed to each subscriber will be adjusted accordingly. “If you have six issues left on your subscription, you will receive six issues,” EuDaly said. The magazines’ new mailing address for all subscriber, reader, and industry communication is the Bucklin address.
Advertisers should contact Mike Lindsay of White River Productions at 800-282-3291 or via email at ads@railfan.com, ads@modelcraftsman.com, or ads@modelrailroadnews.com. Mike will be managing advertising for the new titles.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:11 pm 

Will White River be buying the back issue inventory for both magazines?

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:15 am 

And who gets the complete collection of Railroad and
Railroad Man's Magazine back to 1906? Carstens got
it when they purchased the title.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:08 pm 

I just received my June issue of R&R today. It still shows Carstens as the publisher and has the same label information, so apparently it's not a production of the new owners.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:05 pm 

The "lead time" needed to produce magazines and books, unlike newspapers, is considerable, often several months. So it is entirely possible there could be yet another issue or two that publish under the Carstens imprint before the new owners' imprint shows. --- Ray

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:50 pm 

most mags have about a 3 month lead before publish, technology today has reduced all that for sure. Thats how you get "whats happening next month" promos, most likely the material is already ready. There might be material ready for July and August I bet. Poke thru the mag and see whats "next month"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:57 pm 

Ray Reter wrote:
The "lead time" needed to produce magazines and books, unlike newspapers, is considerable, often several months. So it is entirely possible there could be yet another issue or two that publish under the Carstens imprint before the new owners' imprint shows. --- Ray

Aside from the fact that the official press release from White River Productions states that June will be the last Carstens issue, it certainly won't happen, as Carstens doesn't have the money to pay the printer, which is the reason June is so late. WRP also states that they will combine some months to get back on schedule, but existing subscriptions will get THE NUMBER OF MAGAZINES they are owed, irregardless of what the cover date is. I don't think anything could be more fair than that, and I wish them the best of luck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:02 am 

Quote:
Aside from the fact that the official press release from White River Productions states that June will be the last Carstens issue . . .

But I did receive the June issue with no indication that anyone but Carstens was involved in its production. Whatever the case, it doesn't matter because the issue has come out. We can all be grateful that this magazine (in the tradition of the historic "Railroad Magazine") will continue to come our way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:49 am 

One thing I noticed in the June issue is that the table of contents listed an article on the Texas Transportation Museum on page 12 that isn't in the issue at all. The "Camera Bag" is at that page and the "Preservation" article that is listed for page 8 actually begins on page 7. These errors may not be related at all but could also be a symptom of their problems too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:30 pm 

they may recognize the omission and get it in the next convenient issue possible.

I recall reading MR mag years ago they had on the cover "How does the new Athearn RDC run?"

and it wasn't in the issue at all.

followup reader comments next issue were funny...

"It ran so good it ran off the magazine!"

The June R&R arrived here today, no mention of any next month content.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next